Mylar cap treats for your dogs

Edster?

My wife said the phone rang -- I was already completely zonked last night. Was that you?

Let me know if I can help -- 'course Leo knows this circuit very well. I'm sure he would agree that a repair can be done far less painfully -- as would Craig.

You've got my number, call anytime this weekend if needed...leave a message if we're out and I'll get back to you.

Erik

Erik,

It wasn't me...I wasn't able to call last night. I'll call this weekend. BTW I tried to send you email from work yesterday and it kept bouncing back as undeliverable!

Craig, you may see get these babies yet 1.gif, but since you already know you won't like them...

The amp has been diagnosed as having a bad coupling cap. The repair tech wants to replace the Jensen paper-in-oils with mylar caps because he says mylar sounds better and won't leak.

The tech wants to replace 4 caps (2 in each amp) at $11/mylar cap + labor of $126.50 + his $50 diagnosis bench fee = $220.50. I certainly don't mind paying the $50 bench fee, I knew that up front, it is the rest of the charges I am not sure of.

I have been told that I could replace the caps myself so I thought I might give it a try (after practicing on some non-critical things first), or send it to someone on the BB who I know can do it properly.

moondogwiring800x600.jpg

Here is a link to a larger shot if you want to get up close and personal.

What do y'all think??

Edster,

Replacing those two Jenson caps should not be that big of a deal. There right there in the open, a soldering iron can get in there very easily.

BTW, unless your in the mood to experiment with your sound, I would suggest to put back in as replacement the same of what you have currently running in there, if you like what you hear.

I would ask him to let you know which cap is bad, so you could just replace that one first. You paid the fifty bucks for the bench time, he should atleast tell you which one needs replacement. JMTC.

Tom

WARNING: Caps hold voltage, make sure they are discharged before working on the amp.

Ed, do not pay that kind of money for $8 in parts and 30 minutes worth of work. Yeesh, what a rip off.

Yeah, you paid $50 for the bench fee, and he should tell you which cap is bad. I also think you should replace it with another Jensen copper PIO. Hell, you only need one -- $20 and 5 minutes with a soldering iron!

BTW, the losses with the PIO are not as critical in amplifier applications as they are in speaker crossovers. Save yourself some grief and just replace the bad cap with another Jensen. I can't believe anyone would recommend a mylar cap in the coupling position.

http://www.welbornelabs.com/jensen.htm

that is high edster...if you do not feel completely klutzy with a soldering iro9n you could do it...but be careful not fry thr caps...btw you should dump the blackgate 100X100s...and....send the blackgates to me! $120 a piece now! ouch! tony

Thanks for the comments. I am picking the amp up from the shop tomorrow. I will either do the repair myself or I'll pass it off to a qualified solder slinger. I did purchase 2 of the Jensens from Ron Welborne. I want to replace the cap in that positon in both amps so they will match. Does anyone think I should order 2 more and do all 4?

Edster,

I would stay with the Jensens. The Jensens are part of the "Ultimate Upgrade" package that was offered with the Moondogs. They were part of that package for a reason. Given "break in" time, replacing the same position cap in the other block is not a bad idea once the bad one is identified. I'm sure you can do it. If not, I'll bet there's a JC or technical trade school student who can for a quick $25.

Klipsch out.

Ed:

I spoke at length about what I thought of those charges, and that I would do it for you for free. All you have to do is send me the amps. I know the circuit totally without looking at the schematic, inluding all proper voltages for input/driver plates, 2A3 plate, bias voltages, etc. And all filament supply voltages.

I have probably completely rewired mine several times. For gosh sakes, send it to one of us -- I will say it openly: The quoted repair cost is much higher than need be given the diagnosis.

The oil caps are upgrades if that's the sound you like, and otherwise if you don't. But you have them in the other amp., and I suggest maintaining the voicing between the two. A mylar may sound bright and edgy compared to the other, and that's going to throw the balance off.

Did you get my message about walking you through the steps over the phone? This is really an easy repair if coupling caps (IS) all that's wrong. $11.00 for a mylar cap is ludicrous.

Erik

Edster,

It isn't rocket science, practice soldering PTP on some junk until you feel confident, then DIY.

IMO, I would get two more Jensen caps. Just so you don't have one monoblock with broke-in coupling caps, and another with ones that haven't settled in yet.

And you are still saving more money than that repair dude is trying to dog you for.

I wonder why that one Solen cap has the outer covering all crinkled and partially pulled back? Heat?

I wonder why the cap went south in the first place?

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

Did any of you folow the link to the 1600x1200 photo just under the imbedded photo I put in the post? It may help figure out what things look like in there. I have an even larger one if that would help!

I did buy 2 Jensens, one for the malfunctioning cap in one amp and one for the corresponding cap in the working amp. I figure the caps will be equal in age in that spot in both amps. I don't have a problem with buying 2 more and replacing all 4 at the same time.

I am picking up the amp from the shop tomorrow morning so I will have it back in my possession.