HGS 18 = JU

RayCanales

I tell you what guys after being on this forum trying all these subwoofers

I went from a HGS18 which is junk by the way they I tried this SVS stuff that everyone raves about and finally settled on a pair of these babies

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/professional/sl36b.html

with 2 Crown Microtech 2400 series amps and now I have what I call Bass when you are ready to make the step up to bass look into a pair of these

the only problem now is that the paint and my plasma are coming off the wall

I wish Klipsch made some Folded Horn Subs nothing sounds like a folded horn nothing,....

11.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that doesn't really beat out an SVS (or even the smallest RSW series) as far as "real" bass response. That Cerwin-Vega! sub has a response down to 30hz (and I haven't ever seen the performance charts on that, so it in all reality may be even less.) I'm not trying to flame you here or anything, but that only hits the range that everyday subs can hit (it's just a helluva lot louder). And as far as a folded horn sub for Klipsch, the mighty Klipschorn isn't very far off as far as its low end extension goes. But one thing confuses me... How can you declare the HGS-18 a piece of crap? Just because it doesn't thump as loud as the Cerwin-Vega doesn't mean it's a piece of crap by any means.

What the HELL is this nonsense?! 7.gif

The Velodyne HGS18 is what? WHAT? WHAT?

If there is audio compnents and subwoofers deserving to be qualified as junk its NOT any subwoofer from Velodyne within the HGS series.For your information the HGS18 is a legend among subwoofers,high quality audiophile subwoofers that is.Maybe cannot hear and enjoy the superior quality and deeper bass the HGS18 can provide.Too bad

The HGS18 is junk...LOL

The Cerwin Vega you refer to is a BASS BIN,yes it will crush bone above 40Hz but where a true sub woofer rules this bass bin is worthless.

As previously stated, and as I posted in the "Best sub for around $1400" thread. You may have alot of output out of that big Vega, but not much if any response below 30Hz. The frequency response is 30-300Hz it probably starts dropping like a rock at 30Hz down. That is why it is a professional subwoofer designed for open spaces (clubs, auditoriums, etc.) a good sub should be able to reproduce frequencies solidly into the 20hz and below region. You are missing a lower octave, and it is probably dominant in the 50-60Hz range sounding like ten men beating on the side of a rubber raft. Yuk!

Ok

the challenge is on then

the ears seems to have unlimited income go to the nearest pro audio shop get a pair of the Cerwin Vegas do the small mods to the cabinet and hook up the 2 microtech 2400 amps to them place them in your so called listening room and take the junky HGS 18 and the SVS and the Revel or whatever else you have and place your favorite audio CD or Movie in your player which of course is placed about 1 mile away from the subs and crank it up I usually run the speakers for around 8-10 hours at 3/4 output and the Velo will crap out that worthless amp on it is JUNK heats up around 2-3 hours (I will need to run a test on that time for you to be sure on the time)

but hey you know what I like this pair of Cerwins and i know that if the speaker ever blows I could always place another better 18" driver in there and improve response a lil bit I built a small sub with band pass box using one of those eminence speakers 12" with just a small plate amp 250W and sounds better than most of the crap I hear people recommend around here.3.gif

Oh yeah forgot to mention

the Ears works for Velo LOL !!!!!

JUNK JUNK !!!1.gif

I dont want to piss anyone off but quit telling these people that have no access to 1 million dollars to spend to buy something out of their budget..

most times you can build a sub that will outperform anything that is sold at the stereo shops. for lots lots less...

Im going to run the similar test on a pair of SVS CS+ 20-39 and I hope they dont pop like they are famous for at higher levels I will hook them up to the

win microtechs too and wait for the results..9.gif

I just caught this thread as I was about to leave, but as a Vel owner, you got me puzzled. I don't have the time to truly respond, but very much agree with TE.

CerwinVega over Velodyne..I'm missing something here. I sold my RSW15 and purchased a "used" 1998 FSR-18 and couldn't be happier.

Got to run.....

PS. Thats a truly remarkable photo of yourself....

the 2 cabinets cost me $ 1100.00 at my favorite hangout pro shop

and the 2 microtechs some dude turned them in and I paid $1200.00 for the pair plus $150.00 in patch cords. the cabinet mods $ 50.00

so like $ 2500.00

not too bad I dont think that overpriced Velo stuff is way more than that

and like i posted before you can build a decent sub for around $ 600.00 that would kick butt on some of the other stuff being recommended around here.

but I noticed that some people are already calling me stuped so Im going to cut this argument short some people cant take the responses that other users have about the junk they buy.4.gif

----------------

On 4/18/2003 1:24:20 PM RayCanales wrote:

the 2 cabinets cost me $ 1100.00 at my favorite hangout pro shop

and the 2 microtechs some dude turned them in and I paid $1200.00 for the pair plus $150.00 in patch cords. the cabinet mods $ 50.00

so like $ 2500.00

not too bad I dont think that overpriced Velo stuff is way more than that

and like i posted before you can build a decent sub for around $ 600.00 that would kick butt on some of the other stuff being recommended around here.

but I noticed that some people are already calling me stuped so Im going to cut this argument short some people cant take the responses that other users have about the junk they buy.
4.gif

----------------

Wait, whoa... you paid $2,500 for two club subs and USED amps?! You could have bought a set of ultras with over $500 to spare or even two RSW-12's! I'm sorry sir, but you are obviously tone deaf (or deaf in general if you need two Cerwin-Vega subs). Bottom line: They only go loud. They do not go low (as I stated earlier, the K-horns almost roll that low). You are missing the low extension of DVDs. The THX intro will not sound nearly as badass.

So in closing, I think I will quote the great Will Farrel, "Are you English or retarded?!"

Darth I think that we are both retarded and tone deaf....

I will put those speakers up against any of the junk you have listed for your system and you will leave like a puppy ....

as I mentioned im going to test the Ultras this weekend and see how they hold up.. gonna run them out at my beach pad for the usual 8 hours cranked and see how they do with the 2 microtechs running juice into them..

I think they will bust just like they usually do they already pop at decent levels.... JUNK

a pair of bazookas standing up for more than 400 bucks is a ripoff in my buck

HORN LOADED is the way to go believe me RETARD.....9.gif

----------------

Darth I think that we are both retarded and tone deaf....

I will put those speakers up against any of the junk you have listed for your system and you will leave like a puppy ....

as I mentioned im going to test the Ultras this weekend and see how they hold up.. gonna run them out at my beach pad for the usual 8 hours cranked and see how they do with the 2 microtechs running juice into them..

I think they will bust just like they usually do they already pop at decent levels.... JUNK

----------------

Well I look forward to seeing your results, so long as they are based on charts that show dbs over frequency. Also, don't forget to tune them so you don't have too much bass overpowering the rest of your system. 5.gif As for my sytem, I'm happy with it, and that's all that matters. And I believe that system is pretty decent based on the fact that I'm currently going to college and have to pay all that other stuff off. But I see what you're trying to do. You're trying to agitate everyone and start a flame war. Let's put it this way: We'll be happy with our mid to high end equipment, and you can be happy with your Cerwins... To each his own. 1.gif

Ray, if folded bass horns rule so much, at least get some decent ones instead of trolling.

http://www.servodrive.com/bt7.html

or build 2 or 4 of these

http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/

It's a free design done by the guy who designed the BassTech7 and came up with the summation apperature in ServoDrive's speakers (the summation apperature was also made available in kit form with the Lambda Unity Horn kit).

club subs have terrible low extension, not to mention are very unaccurate. if you want I'll take the peice of **** HGS-18 off your hands for 400 bucks though, seeing how it's just junk thats taking up your space. your cerwin's may look cool and be louder than a mofo, but most anything could beat them below 30, or even 50 hz. I remember seeing some commercial subs that started rolling off at 50. Also, the cerwins aren't even a good folded COMERCIAL sub! at least get one of those nice dual 18 EV's.

Ray C.,

BTW my Revel B15 can hold against any of your pro BASS BINS in output,when the B15 amp starts to get to its limits your ears will suffer.The B15 outpounds the HGS18 and a single Ultra with ease.

Plus the Revel B15 sub bass quality will leave the bass bins in the dust.

I am not into deaf max SPL audio,if I wanted I would just purchase two dozen Carver TFM-75's and a complete stadium Cerwin Vega speaker array with eight massive bass bins.But WHY? Who needs 150dB?

No human can enjoy music or movies above 120dB,it becomes pain and plain noise.

I know just such a Cerwin vega fanatic,who owns a GIANT,and I MEAN GIANT mega Pro system at home.His system blows any rock concert front row SPL level at 1/8 on the master volume gain!But I would never trade even my micro Totem/Celeste/Carver PC system,I like finesse not BRUTE FORCE.

A sound system should bring pleasure to your ears not double as a bunker buster.

My systems are at ease up to 120dB and its all I need.All any sane audiophile would ever need.

we built one of these and it sounds pretty good but not what I wanted I want a Rock.. yeah yeah yeah

http://www.decware.com/whorn.htm

this is enough for anyone..

and the HGS now belongs to my daughter she loves that thing but she is 11 and she now has a pair of old lascalas with the HGS18 listening to EMINEM that **** sounds pretty damn good.

but anyway not trying to start no war just voicing out an opinion.

NO FLAME WAR FROM ME ////

Klipsch still Rules.... but their subs suck ....

and was never happy with HGS or the SVS but that is just my opinion always wanted horns for subs

and the CVs really hit the spot thats all

believe me if Klipsch made a decent horn enclosure for a sub I would trash everything and buy one.

I have and always will love building cabinets and some of the old **** that I have can stand up to anything out there now and forever.

I have some old transmission line speakers that are about 20 yrs old that sound better now than they did then and I just have them with a little 8X2 watt tube amp.

SORRY if I pissed anyone off.11.gif

any ideas on how to build a horn for this trunk in this car...

got some plans but nothing for sure yet

right now it just has a small dual 10" band pass box with some old Kappa Pro 10s and they sound good but cars are another world.

anyone done anything with klipsch stuff in their cars?3.gif

post-7545-13819247004222_thumb.jpg