Don't want to rattle the neighbors....

EB in NYC

Hey sorry if this is a dumb question, I live in an apartment building and my SW is sitting on the floor....I am worried that the intense stuff is going to shake the plaster off my downstairs neighbor's ceiling. Is there any recommended way to prevent that rumbling and low-end vibration from going through the floor??? Thanks....

While I doubt that that will ever really happen, one never knows, especially in older buildings. So, go to a local carpet store and get a sample piece of the thickest highest density carpet pad they have and if you can get a 24" BY 24" piece of ceramic tile. Put the carpet pad under the tile and the SW on top of the tile. This should acoustically decouple the sw from the floor. The bass will suffer a bit though in clarity.

Jerry Rappaport1.gif

Hate to say this, but folks who live in apartments shouldn't have subwoofers, at least not if they want to maintain the peace with their neighbors. You can try what you like, but a lot of the bass is going to get through to the downstairs neighbors, and the other neighbors as well.

Sorry to say but you can try pretty much anything and it still won't help because you are displacing air, which in turn displaces or causes vibration in other objects. Bass wavelengths are very long and can travel through drywall, etc with little attenuation. Midrange and treble, which are more directional in nature are absorbed easily by the use of acoustical foams and diffused by polyspheres.

wow i wish i could have saaid that mike, oh well someday, anyway carpet only muffles the bass, might as well not hook 1 up in the first place, i also live in an apartment, and no matter what i do the neighbor complains, but i did find that because i have a down firing sub if i placed a piece of glass under the sub the waves are slightly reflected off the floor and more towards the listener, but the lfe is still ever present and does go through walls and floors, but as a courtesy to my neighbor i once brought him over and gave hin a little taste of what was wafting into his apartment, he was amayzed to enter my place and see my huge heritage stuff, with my electronics neatly stacked on racks, and than i played some of swordfish for him, i watched as he watched, he sat open mouthed and kept saying wow wow, it sounds like it is coming from everywhere and no where, he left happy and less irritated, he said it had sounded like i had the speakers placed directly against directly at the wall, now he understands my hobbie, plus he said he will help me to watch my apartment while i am at work, now from time to time i will have him over for a movie or two, it did not start like a bribe, but it ended up earning me a watchdog12.gif

EB from NYC,

The idea given by The Prince does work decoupling the subwoofer itself from the floor,but as M. Hurd pointed complaints from downstairs may still come as the air moved by the cone will still "shake" so to speak the walls and floor.

Hey you are in NYC,so get a shotgun,a hack saw and prepare a welcome gadget for any future compalints. LOL

Me I dont give a DAMN about what the peeps dowstairs think,they better keep silence or else.

1.gif

Hey, my system is in an apartment too, to speak, the only thing that saves my arse is that my sister in law owns the house and her daughters live on the main floor. I have told them many times to let me know if it is too loud. They are much more likely to let you know that your music is bothering them if you tell them to let you know. Also, you can talk to all your neighbours and give them your phone number to phone if they are bothered. Be nice to your fellow tenants... they just might find out that hanging around your apartment is great, and you might have to host movie nights. Let them buy the pizza though...