Alnico Drivers Vs. New. . .What a Difference!!

tidmack

Hi all,

For the three years I've owned my LaScalas ('86 models), I've always thought my Cornwalls of the same vintage had them beat hands down. I always wondered how guys on the bb could rave SO much about how pronounced the bass was on their Scalas and how good the mids sounded. Even with my horns dampened, I've never been able to get rid of the "ice" with some of the higher frequencies. It's always bugged me. Enter Alnico drivers. . .

The difference is breathtaking. I picked up some '81 Scalas out of the local milwaukee paper last weekend for a sweet $500. Alnico mids, but they appear to have the newer k77 tweeter, and AA networks. The Alnico mid is much more evident, but not overpowering, if that makes sense. I'm also amazed by how much tighter the bass is! I'm guessing this has more to do with the network?? My '86s have the AL network. . .

For anyone out there asking "does the year speaker I get really make a difference?", take it from me that it does! Has anyone else noticed such a difference in speakers that are supposed to be the "same"?

Oh yeah, the year makes a BIG difference. Not only do the types of drivers make a difference as you mention below, but the crossovers make a big diff as well.

My Cornwall II's (early vintage) really sound wider and smoother than the Cornwall I's (1984-85 vintage). The difference were not subtle.

Chris,

Do you think the difference with your Cornwalls has more to do with the drivers/networks, or that your II's have the vertical horns? I've never heard the vertical horns, but I've read that the soundstage is very large and the "sweet spot" of the room is quite larger.

jeff

Tid

I think the biggest difference is the AA vs the AL network. The AA is a much better network.

I had the AK in my Khorns (basically the same as the AL you have) when I A-B tested the AK vs the ALK I replaced them with the AK sounded like garbage. Midrange sounded like a megaphone in the AK. Bass was not as tight either.

Bet if you dump the AL your 2 sets of LAS will sound closer.

JM

tidmack,

I can assure you the difference is in the crossover. While the K-55-M doesn't quite sound like a K-55-V, it's close. Swap X-overs and I believe you will find the K-55-M can sound as good as the -V. I've had both and the Type AL x-over just stinks. It may be flatter, but it honks and rings unbearably.

If you want to build a great sounding crossover, try Al's ALKs or Brother's true first order (like the Type A) made from premium components.

I did some major changing with my Industrial Lascala's since I bought them. They started out with some mix matched Woofers one was actually Car woofer designed for shake the trunk action the other was a JBL. I started out with a weird theater version AL Xover. Built some ALK's for a friend and tried them. They sounded better but not earth shattering. Then replaced the woofer's with K-33E and didn't see a major change with the AL's in place. I them put in the AA Xovers removed the zener diode's, Loosened the inductors from the board and WOW way more bass, warmer mids and the brightness gone. I was never totally dissatisfied but this was perfect. I was going to order new inductors and make them into type A's but I like them so much I just haven't seen a need. Lascala's Rock when setup right and have more then enough bass where it counts for music I swear they go lower than 50hz ! I have completely quit using my sub !

Craig

Now the big question: Does anyone on the board have any AA networks for sale? I see a set on eBay, but they look pretty beat. The seller was honest enough to say they came out of industrial 'Scalas, so I imagine they weren't subjected to the best of conditions.

I've been in contact with Al K. about his ALK, but honestly, I can't afford them right now.

Are there any tweaks I can do to the AL's to make them better, or am I better off selling them and using the money toward AA's or ALK's in the future?

Jeff

JM,

I really need to get out to your place and hear your system. I have your email, so I think I'll be in contact as soon as finals are over.

Off topic: I didn't realize the research papers that were involved for graduate school! I just keep thinking "two more weeks!". . .

Jeff