My Virgin Experience With Cornwalls

First of all,I have taken lots of pictures. But since I don`t have a digital camera you`ll have to wait till I get them developed to disc. Speakers are in great shape!

When the truck driver approached my front door with a Cornwall on his dolly in it`s original box, I new I was in for something special. My God I thought, that is a big box. Must have a lot of packing inside. What was inside was a whole lot of speaker. Though I new the measurements of a Cornwall, I was taken aback by how huge they are. I thought my ESS were big. Well now I know they`re mid-size compared to these. They are twice as big as what I am use to. Pictures do them no justice. They are the biggest piece of furniture we own now besides our couch.

As I slide these beasts out of their box I started to laugh. I hate to keep saying it but they are big. That`s not a bad thing mind you, I just was not fully prepared for it. I sat each speaker next to the ESS and hooked them up to the "Speaker B" outputs. I wanted to do a true A/B comparison of the two. All my tone controls are set at flat and loudness switched off. I dropped the needle on the first track of "Hotel California" with the ESS switched on and listened to the first half of the guitar intro. In nervous anticipation I then flipped the speaker selector to B.

I never thought another speaker sitting next to mine would turn my head the way it did. It sounded as if there was a baffle in front of the ESS compared to the Cornwall.

My first few minutes of my Cornwall experience was confusing. I mean after 22 years of listening to the same speaker, one gets set in their ways. I had to adjust. The Cornwalls were so clean and clear in their reproduction, with bass and midrange I had never heard before. I now realize that everything I have been reading for the past year about these speakers are true. They give only what they are given. No coloration in sound. Airy, but with a punch. And what a punch. My system sounds like it has twice the power than before, yet I know I was using less than a watt. Great big sound even at low volume. It`s better than I could have imagined. I have no issues at all with the SS Onkyo. May be in part to the fact that controls are at flat. I am very curious in tubes and will definitely take that path a little later when budget permits. For now though, I am just happy to be a member of the Klipsch Heritage family.

Sounds like you are on your way to years of great listening enjoyment. You are right about what you put into the klipsch speakers, good recordings sound awsome and bad recordings sound bad.Enjoy your cornwalls they will last a liftime and then some.

Well, you're not a virgin anymore.

Welcome to the Truth and Honesty in Music Club.

It does take a little getting used to -- give your ears a couple of days to settle into the sound. Once you get used to it -- there is simply no going back to anything else.

Enjoy!

congratulations! I am sure you will enjoy these speakers for years to come. true klipsch speakers are revealing and force many of us to make changes in our systems to get the best from them, but they are worth the trouble. warm regards, tony

even though i have only had my corns for a few months it seems like a long time ago, but listenimng to you sure brings my first impressions to mind, those first few sessions were amayzing, eye and ear opening, but i still find music i have not heard on my corns and even though i have heard the music before i have never heard them the cornwall way, congrats on your purchase, you will love them forever baby, ha ha ha12.gif

Yes Terry, another brother in the ranks of the Cornwall Club...welcome to the world of Heritage horn speakers, middle-man!

I traded my brother my Magnepan planar loudspeakers for our dad's Cornwalls! Even though I love the dynamic realism of the flat Maggies, there's nothing that can take the place of Klipsch's "in-your-face" horns...music sounds so "live" to me now. If I ever upgrade my Cornwalls, it'll be to King Klipschorn, but I'll never sell my Cornwalls (they're part of the family since '79)!

Welcome...

I just became Cornwall devirginized back in February. I really just stumbled into a pair locally from someone on this forum while I was researching RF7s. Several suggested I give the Cornies a try.

Well, it has been two months of ups and downs and highs and lows. A few minor tweeks, and more to do with placement...

Things are finally as they should be. I haven't made any adjustments to anything for about 3 weeks now(other than some usual tube rolling in my Zen's)

I've done nothing but listen, and I'm totally in tune with what these speakers are capable of. It took a bit of adjustment, because i had owned some pretty amazing speakers in previous ss/tube/hybrid amp/preamp combos.

I can honestly say, I've got a a combo here now that will be staying for a few years to come. The imaging and soundstage I get with the Klipsch/Zen combo is truly breathtaking. Ensemble and orchestra instruments are EXACTLY where they should be, with a realism that feels like you can reach out and touch it !

I have found too much toe-in (in my smaller room) takes away SO much from the width and depth these classics can produce. Maybe this isn't an issue in larger rooms, or the toe-in is needed there. I also notice the horns are way too bright when over toed-in.

s-s-s-s-sibilence becomes nasty.

Enjoy - happy listening.

I thought I'd never think of selling my JBL L56's, but when doing a comparison to my KG 4.2's there's no way I'll give up the Klipsch, unless it's an upgrade to a larger Klipsch. I think I'll pass my JBLs on to my daughter when she moves out to her first apartment.

Like when I passed down my JBL L112 Century II's to my younger brother. Still excellent monitors after all these years (since '84), he's now using them as a center channel (connected in parallel) to his harman/kardon AVR 55 AV receiver...it's remarkable how well they blend with my ol' Magnepans that he's also using as his mains!10.gif