CD player recommendation

wireless

I set up my 2-channel system last night. I had tried to use a 5.1 system for music with klf-20's, a c-7, forte surrounds and an lf-10. It was okay but I decided to go with something less imposing and needed shielded speakers there. I was planning on selling everthing but I couldn't part with my beloved Fortes.

I had a Yamaha c-60 and m-80 preamp and amp in storage and decided to pull them out, move the forte's upstairs and get a 2-channel system going. I also have a t-85 tuner and what was at the time a nice technics cd player - 18 bit woo-hoo!

My old speaker wire was corroding but I went ahead and set everything up and it sounds pretty good. I need new wire and a new CD player. The technics skips sometimes and I believe new players should be better with regard to sound quality. I saw a 24 bit in best buy a few days ago.

What is the difference these days between CD (DVD) players? I'm thinking about buying something like a Toshiba 2900. I've had good luck with Toshiba and in case I ever do use it for dvd, it has the zoom for making the widescreen format visible on a small tv.

My main concern is 2-channel analog output. This is the highest priority. Do all new DVD players output the analog CD signal fairly equally? What are your opinions on this? I don't believe that paying $500 for a CD player is necessary but down at the low end $80 to $150 I think there are probably some corners cut. On the other hand the way electronics has become, maybe a D/A decoder chip is just a comodity and doesn't really vary from player to player. What are your opinions on this?

-David

David - I know of at least one person on this board who bought a Philips DVD-963SA simply for its 2-channel stereo capability, even though it is a DVD player. That's because it has the ability to upsample Redbook CDs to 24bit/192khz sampling with the press of a button on the remote, and reports are that the difference is astounding. In addition, it plays SACD with bass management. Oh, and it also does DVD with 13bit/108mhz video DACs and Faroudja DCDi.

The MSRP is $499, I believe, with a street price below that. The thing is, you won't see it many places 'cause it just hit the US this spring so check the return policy if you buy it sight unheard.

DD

Doug-

Interesting suggestion on the Philips DVD-963SA. I was going to suggest the opposite, go separate.

David-

If this is only going to be used in a 2-Ch setup, then don't waist your $$$ on the video section, IMHO. With technology changing so quickly, the video section will be "out-of-date" in a few short years and its possible that HD-DVD might be out and a Digital video interface to TVs/Projectors/Plasma displays. However, if you think that you might use it in a year for Video stuff, then you might consider spending the $$ on something like the Philips or Denon.

For Audio only, I would defiantly consider getting a CD w/SACD. Granted, who knows who will win, DVD-A or SACD, but it might be worth a shot, perhaps a closeout Sony 222ES (I don't remember the number of the top of my head). Or, you might look used for a Rega, Rotel, or Arcam CDP, all excellent players

-Dave

Wireless...Don't put to much into the 24 bit lingo on cheaper DVD players. My toshiba which I like for movies, is a 24 bit/192khz DAC audio, sounds absolutely horrible compared to my 1995 20 bit ADCOM cd player. It's night and day. If your looking for good quality and playback for audio you would probably do better with a decent CD player. Some of these machines today play every dang format but reel to reel and only cost two hundred dollars, which would scare the heck out of me.

I agree with rowoo 100%. I have a new Onkyo receiver with 24 bit/192khz DAC, & it sounds like cra* for music, however my 1985 Adcom cd player sounds great. I have also tried my new Onkyo DVD player for music, & still was not happy with it. The old Adcom still blows it away. Seems totally backwards to me , but that's the way it is.

I just posted this somewhere else about the bit rates of CD players. In the 80's, there were bit wars... 16 bit, 24 bit, 1 bit,... etc. All claimed their's was better.

You have to just let your ears decide.

FWIW... I just ended up getting a Sony SACD player, for the CD playing capability. It sounds really good and I've been very happy with it. I got it for $330 off of eBay, it goes for $430 or more new typically.

To chip in for Mobile in his absense: get a used Rega Planet from 1998 or '99. Around $400 and you're in hi-fi heaven.

Mace

Red Book is the technical standard format for what we know as the "Music CD".

I'm trying to sqeeze all my optical needs into one box. I keep reading this compromises the CD audio but I'll ask again.

I want:

* DVD-V = Panasonic rp82 or better

* SACD

* DVD-A

* Music CD = Rega Planet

The new Denon 2900 is supposed to be designed for great video performance (designed with the HT Secrets tests in mind). This feature along might be worth a big part of the $995 list price. Add SACD and DVD-A and the real kicker for me is if the CD sound could equal the $400 Rega Planet then I could justify the cost vs Rega ($400) + DVD for movies ($300+)

If I need Rega and DVD player then the Phillips is more in my price range.

I read someone was thinking about a mod for awesome music to the Denon 2900 boosting the price to around $1600 though.

An older stand alone DAC is an unappreciated option.

My MSB LINK II blows away most CD players up to $ 700.

I have listened to Sony ES, Music Hall, Rega and Rotel.

The LINK is very close in quality to the Rega or higher line Rotels.

Used ones on E Bay for $ 250 or less.

----------------

On 5/3/2003 10:15:28 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

An older stand alone DAC is an unappreciated option.

My MSB LINK II blows away most CD players up to $ 700.

----------------

Audio Flynn: I'm considering a mass market Sony 300 disc changer. Is the only sound quality difference in this unit verses others due to the DAC? Can I get both the convenience of a multidisk changer and the sound quality of a more expensive player by purchasing the 300 disk Sony and using an external DAC?

Thanks.

I recently bought a used original Rega Planet on Audiogon. It was advertised as mint, it is, can't really tell looking at it that it's ever been used. Got the original box, manual, and remote with it for $350. Outstanding value, IMHO. This thing blows away every other CD player I've heard. I've got a NOS Nakamichi MB-1s from 1996, it has a purpose built Nak 20-bit DAC, is beaten badly by the Rega. FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, all that jazz.

Tom (who wonders why somebody can't build something similar to the Rega but with a changer mechanism?)

----------------

On 5/4/2003 10:52:57 PM arena wrote:

I'm considering a mass market Sony 300 disc changer. Is the only sound quality difference in this unit verses others due to the DAC? Can I get both the convenience of a multidisk changer and the sound quality of a more expensive player by purchasing the 300 disk Sony and using an external DAC?

Thanks.

----------------

Arena:

I have a Sony 300 disk changer, & love the sound. It is only slightly less quality than my Adcom. They make the exact same version in standard (like mine) or the ES model. ES is said to have all the highest quality everything in it. This might be a good option for you. Remember, its not just the DAC that is important. There's lots of other electronics before & after the DAC.

----------------

On 5/5/2003 12:35:00 AM cyclonecj wrote:

I have a Sony 300 disk changer, & love the sound. It is only slightly less quality than my Adcom. They make the exact same version in standard (like mine) or the ES model. ES is said to have all the highest quality everything in it. This might be a good option for you. Remember, its not just the DAC that is important. There's lots of other electronics before & after the DAC.

----------------

Which model 300 disk changer are you using? Also ES isn't really an option for me. My budget is limited to about $400.

Everyone seems to rave about the Rega Planets. Where can I purchase one used or for a discount (besides audiogon.com which I already know about)?

Thanks again.

I am running a Sony CX-300. I believe I bought it almost 2 years ago. Great sound. I had a Sony 200 disk changer, but filled it.

Also, the 2 units will work in Tandem. If you connect a cable between them, one becomes the master & one the slave, giving you full access to 500 disks. If you set the master to shuffle, it switches between changers, even crossfading between songs. Really cool!

They now have a 400 disk changer. A pair of these could be fun!

Edit... Here is a pic of my right side shelf... its the bottom unit:

im007228.jpg

I've had a Rega Planet since 1998 and have been overjoyed with its sound quality and bullet-proof construction and design. It's a great player. I can't say that it is necessarily any better than some of the modern SACD machines, but if you could find one for a good price it would take care of your two-channel needs quite readily. The machine is not a world champion at being hyper-detailed, and some may find it "laid back", but it is a very pleasant machine to listen to and it is very, very non fatiguing. Good luck.