Blown Away By Klipsch RF 7's

Vital

For the last month I have been researching speakers and trying to hear them everywhere I went. I kept hearing about Klipsch on the interent but noone seemed to carry them. Tweeter by me was out of them already and so on. I listened to the Boston's at Tweeter and was very disappointed in the sound. I wasnt all that impressed with anything at Tweeter to be honest. Nothing blew me away. I even went to Circuit City to listen to Polk Audio's.

I finally found a dealer in my area via the internet that carried both Klipsch and Paradigm. I had read all these awesome reviews about Paradigm at Stereophile and hadnt heard a word about Klipsch so I was really wanting to hear those the most. After listening to the Paradigm Studio/100s I liked them a lot. I then got to hear the big, bad looking Klipsch RF 7s and let me tell you. They blew me and my girlfriend away. As soon as my girl heard them she said those are the ones. The clarity, the sound, everything was godly. Why don't they get more respect from the reviews? I thought they were much better than the Paradigm and I switched back and forth for 30 minutes listening to them with different CDs. Anyway, Klipsch was without a doubt the sound I was looking for. They remind me of the sound I hear at concerts.

I also have a question. How will the HK 325 receiver sound with the Klipsch RF 7s? I keep hearing people talk about bi-amping, what does that mean and what else do I need? I'm a total noob when it comes this but I think I'm off to a good start. Got the HK 325 for my starting point, we got the Mitsubishi 65" HDTV widescreen, Sony Progressive Scan DVD and the RF 7s next week. We'll get back speakers, sub and a center speaker within a few months. We are not rich so we have to piece this together one or two pieces at a time. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Congrats on your decision and I would like to especially congrat you on a fine ear your girlfriend has, you don't know how lucky you are. My wife is happy with her 15 year old Sanyo system.

I run my theater with a Harman Kardon AVR520, I have not researched the one you were mentioning, but I would assume they sound similiar. The harman is a very good match up with the Klipsch RF7s. You will be pleased, make no mistake about it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your endevour! 1.gif

Welcome to Klipschland.You'll be happy with them for a lot of years of good music.It looks like you have a great start on a killer system.There is a wealth of info on this forum from many top notch audiophiles,and even we novices will give opinions.We do share the joy of the music we hear through Klipsch speakers,and this forum is a source for incredible improvements in what we hear.Welcome to the Forum.

SSH 1.gif

Congratulations on the new RF-7's Vital. You are gonna love them and as they break in the sound will get better and better.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe biampimg is using two amps for running your speaker. One for the low frequencies and one for the high.

That's why your RF-7's have two sets of binding posts.

----------------

On 5/2/2003 4:56:09 PM SteelerFan wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe biampimg is using two amps for running your speaker. One for the low frequencies and one for the high.

That's why your RF-7's have two sets of binding posts.

----------------

Close...

Actually as I understand it, its not using 2 amps. Its where you take 2 speaker wires from the same output on the back of your receiver, one goes to hf connection the other to lf connection. Make sure you remove the bridge from the back of the RF7 terminals though.

There's bi amping and bi-wiring. Bi wiring is using 1 amp and running to leads from the left channel to the left speaker hi and lo, and ditto for the right channel.

Bi-amping does use 2 amps - you run 1 amp to the left/right Hi frequency, 1 amp to the left/right low frequency. Deang is an expert here and walked me thru it. I'm using a H/K preamp, using adcom power.

Our stories are similar, I listened to the studio 100 and rf 7 in the same store. The paradigm sounded good, and on paper was supposed to go lower. I sure didn't see it. The rf7 sounded just as deep (even receiver with 1/2 the power and 1/2 the price as the denon 4802 powering the paradigm. My biggest beef with the studio series is the lack of sensitivity at 89- 91dp's, the eat the power. The denon 4802 is a hefty receiver, and could not provide the power on techno at alll.

If you can bi-amp, I highly recommend it. Its phenominal!!!

Do not worry about biamping.

You will not run out of power.

Buy a nice speaker cable that can be biwire capable. Run the speaker for 2 months as a single wire than switch it to biwire and evaluate the difference.

Then decide what tube amp you want to try.

That will really mess with your mind.

----------------

On 5/3/2003 10:04:21 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

My wife is happy with her 15 year old Sanyo system----------------

That's pretty common...my wife totally could care less...she likes speakers/systems that are small, out of site, and low price...that's probably a reach because I think she perceives even thinking about HiFi is a waste of time and money. She does like having a decent CD system in the car.

Greetings:

After listening a-b between the RF7s and the Paradigms, I found the Paradigms to be a bit flat. Aloss of dynamic range. That may be due to my hearing curve, but that is what I found.

I have had tubes since the '70s. I find a 'warmer" (yes, I'm tired of that word also), slightly more accurate sound. I play bass - '63 Fender Precision, my Mother was a concert violinist - graduate on violin and viola from the Eastman School of Music (full scholarship), my Father played Trumepet and Harmonica. I have also worked as a Sound Engineer - live and Studio. Solid Stae is fine but, for my hearing tube has more accuracy.

As a side note the ONLY eason I am changing from LaScalas is a 12 x 12 foot room which does not allow the proper throw of the LaScalas (I tell myself that due to my wife's wanting me to change.)

I have slightly modified my Heresys to satisfaction. I cannot compare the modified to the Heresy IIs as no dealer within 100 miles of me has any in stock. I am a 2 channel dinosaur.

I can install HT but my preference is 2 channel.

I hope to acquaint NOS Valves for any work on my McIntosh, if he would do so.

Good Luck and can someone email info on different under $1000.00 models of SVS susbs I have been seeing in the posts? Thanks.

DODGER,

I hope my stream of conciousness helped.

My reference instrument list is

- a Martin accoustic guitar D-28 or D-45; from friends and CSNY

-flute; wife and Herbie Mann

-upright vintage piano; Various

-early 70s Les Paul played through a Music Man tube amp; friends and Clapton Arrowsmith, ZZtop

-Drums; daughter and various