La Scalas vs Cornwalls

I owned a pair of cornwalls for a number of years before permanantly loaning them to a friend. I have come to long for the sound of my cornwalls and have begun searching for an appropriate pair. In the process I have come across a pair of La Scalas. Is there any insight into what to look for in La Scalas? Do they use the same sort of serial number coding as the cornwalls? And were the changes in components year by year similar to the cornwalls? And finally, I have never heard La Scalas what is the comparison to cornwalls?

thanks in advance 1.gif

Joshnich

Joshnich,

I currently own both Cornwalls and Lascalas. I am sure that some would disagree with me but to me the contest is not even close. The Cornwalls come in second.

Bob

I've owned both. The LSs have a little better bass clarity and get louder. They also have poor bass extension and a midrange-forward sound as a result. The CW goes lower in the bass and has a better, more natural tonal balance. I think the CW is much easier to listen to, less fatiquing. The LS sounds kinda like a TV speaker that gets real loud and has low distortion, tonally I mean. My opinion.

----------------

On 5/5/2003 7:33:41 PM TBrennan wrote:

The LSs have a little better bass clarity and get louder. They also have poor bass extension and a midrange-forward sound as a result. The CW goes lower in the bass...

----------------

I agree with that, i guess it depends what you prefer and are looking for... they are similar (sharing most of their components) but the tuned port versus horn loaded bass section do change their overall character.

Rob

PS: I also prefer the Cornwall but that is really a personal thing

I think I am going to stay on the cornwall quest. I think that the friend that has mine on permanent loan will contribute enough to the cost of replacement that i can afford to find something really sweet in the cornwalls!

Thanks for the input.

Josh2.gif2.gif