50th Anniversary Klipschorns

J M O N

Guest JimG

The 50th Anniv. Khorns were offered in three finishes - Sapele, Lacewood and European Ash. They were built in 1995-96 and were $6k a pair when new. The Orion Blue Book shows current mint value at nearly $3k. Obviously that doesn't factor in any collector value that may drive that figure up.

Jim

Guest JimG

The finish on the ones in the museum (in the picture above) is Sapele. Initially, there were to be 50 pairs built in each finish, however, I believe only about 50 pair TOTAL of all finishes combined were ever built. I have no idea the exact breakdown by finish, but I do think that the Lacewood is the rarest of the three. I would guess that Sapele is the most common. I'm looking at a picture of the three here, but I can't post it. For reference, the Sapele finish is the same as what we call Mahogany and offer on the RB-5's. The European Ash was a lighter finish that was blonde in color and Lacewood looked like, well, lace. It was in between the other two in terms of color.

All 50th Anniversary models came with special badging and were internally identical to "regular" Khorns - just the different cabinet cosmetics.

Jim

Guest BobG

That picture is on the cover of the July 1996 Audiophile Magazine from Hong Kong. I suppose that's obvious if you look closely at the picture. Also on that (double size) front cover were the Epic CF3 and CF-2. The magazine featured a nice write up on the CF-2.

The pair of 50th Anniversary Klipschorns were in a nice home in Shanghai last time I heard them.

I saw a new pair of 50th ann. klipschorns at a dealer in Springfield, MO. Somebody must have forgot to tell them what the MSRP was, because they were asking $llk for them. (Or more, possibly. I've slept since then.) In fact, I saw them and listened to them a number of times and the last time I was there, they still had them! That's been probably at least a couple of years ago, though. They were gorgeous, but honestly, I prefer the standard issue variety.

Guest BobG

Been a while since I visited Harvey's in Springfield, but Bill Bullington is a good guy. He is also smart enough to realize that a pair of 50th Khorns is a true collector's item and some true collector will pay big bucks for them. Can't blame the guy. If I had been smart enough to buy a pair, I would not let go for anything short of a big load of bucks. Also can't blame anybody who won't pay a ton for them. Stokes for folks.

Hey Bob; How far back, appearance-wise, does the current k-horn go? And what years were they like the 50th Anniversary model? And also, are those the only two forms the speaker has had?

I know what I need; a klipschorn timeline! Kinda like those in the textbooks that show man "evolving" Rolleyes.gif from a monkey to a Monkee.Smile.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

Guest BobG

Good question James. I'll try to get that timeline put together and posted. Will take some time but seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

No other speaker looked like the 50th Anniversary Khorn. Truly a special limited-production series. Something like 50 total pair of the 3 finishes. Very rare and many shipped to our customers in the far East.

The Khorn has had several cosmetic designs over the years. All similar in appearance but some differences depending on year and application. There was a version meant to hide behind some kind of facia so was made of a plain front panel. I'll try to get some detail posted for you.

That'd be great, Bob!

So, the 50th anniversary 'horns were REALLY "limited editions", eh? Wow. I guess I just assumed they were a re-creation of klipschhorns-past. They kind of had that retro look. Whatever, they were really cool.

------------------

JDMcCall