Advise or bragging?

G-Money

This post is to all the so-called experts who frequent these Klipsch forums,

I have made 2 posts and have got no advice from anyone (with the exception of dougdrake, who was expelled from the forum). I have asked farely simple questions, well within the range of your expertise, an no replies. As a matter of fact I did get 1 reply on my sub question from a newbie, he sugested I send an e-mail to the manufacturer...making me think he is having the same (don't give a crap about your question) problems as I do.

I have noticed browsing thru these forums that you all jump at the oppertunity to brag about your equipement or your knowledge on a given subject.

I think it is time to for you all to do a quick check, see if you can put your expertise to good use and help someone out...I think I speak for all the newbies on this forum.

Thank you for your time...although I dought this post will get read.

V/R

G-Money

That is an interesting thought and one that has been mentioned from time to time, espicially directed at certain individuals. Personally, I've found this forum to be quite helpful, although there will be the time where you ask for advice of what to purchase and you get someone telling you you need this and that like they don't realize I don't have $4000 to blow on a subwoofer. Anyway, what I'm getting at is don't give up on us because of a bad first impression. There are people out there looking to help, I know doug is one of them. What did you say about him getting expelled or something? What's the deal with that?

This outta be good..... *Grabs some popcorn*

Seriously though, some people do brag about their stuff. For some people, home theater and audio is more than a hobby, it's a passion. And if you care about the stuff you own that much, sure you're going to parade it around a little bit. On the whole, this is one of the best forums around... Nowhere else can I find a knowledgebase that is larger than the people here contain (for my Klipsch system at least).

"As a matter of fact I did get 1 reply on my sub question from a newbie, he sugested I send an e-mail to the manufacturer...making me think he is having the same (don't give a crap about your question) problems as I do."

I assume you're making reference to someone telling you to e-mail Tom or Ron at SVS to see which sub to get. That is the best advice anyone could give you because no one knows a sub better than the manufacturer. And NOBODY (that I have dealt with at least) is dedicated to providing the one on one support like SVS. So seriously, just drop them a note.

----------------

On 5/14/2003 11:26:27 PM G-Money wrote:

This post is to all the so-called experts who frequent these Klipsch forums,

I have noticed browsing thru these forums that you all jump at the oppertunity to brag about your equipement or your knowledge on a given subject.V/R

G-Money

----------------

I'm not an expert but I did just get my first pair of real Klipsch speakers. A pair of La Scalas that I've been eyeing for some 25 years that were in a local deli\bar. When I have some spare time I'll post some pics with my Nikon D100 digital slr, Nikon 24-85 AFS G lens and Nikon SB80-DX flash that I purchased last October.

The Hafler 220 amplifier and H\K Citation 25 pre-amp are really nothing to brag about as other here have tubes. I have tube envy.3.gif But they suffice for now.

Much prefer my La Scalas over my Magnepan MG2As and will probably sell the Maggies.

By the way did you have a question? 2.gif

Regards,

Tony

I saw your question in another thread.

I cannot think of any reason that 125 wpc would not be sufficient to drive any subwoofer, however, I'm not an expert. That's why it was suggested you contact the subwoofer manufacturer.

Technical questions aside I think there are several questions you need to determine:

1. Will your spare amps drive the subs?

2. Do you have the money for an all in one solution?

3. Do you want to spend the money?

4. Would you rather use your current amps?

and so on.

I could go on but it seems this is more a personal preference after you determine whether your current amps will be adequate to power the sub you're looking to purchase.

Regards,

Tony

Hey G-money...you have been a member for two days,,asked two ?....give us some time...some of us work and some of the experts only get to get on, on the weekend.Kinda harsh to jump on us when its only been two days at the most....i have not even seen your ? and im on here all the time.Well not trying to be ..wude...lol....inside joke...but im sure you will get some help.....maybe your ? was already dealt with,,,,have you searched the board about your ? yet....you might find some help in other posts.....Rick9.gif

WOW!!! It worked, I knew I could get more than 2 replies in a thread. Just kidding, I wouldn't steep that low to get some sound advice, although it was effective you must admit.

I must appoligize for my rough words earlier, after reading your replies I can see your points of view. It was just that I was seeing a definate theme...someone asking for some advice you would see 0-4 replies and someone who just picked up a new piece of equipement would get 25-50 replies in most cases.

I have gone thru most of the old topics and threads to see if my questions had already been discussed...I would not have asked the question had I found what I was looking for.

Dougdrake-I must have misunderstood your e-mail, sorry for the slanderous remark. Thanks again for the help.

V/R

G-Money (a nickname picked up in Korea, nothing to do with the size of my wallet) 15.gif

"Dearth-trust me, if had half the stuff alot of folks have on this forum, I would be parading it as well. I just think both advice and showboating can be accomplished together in a perfect world."

Yes, and both are usually accomplished here! If it seems a bit like "too much brag" and "not enough advice", we do apologize, but I have found that the "bragging" is helpful here, since it does show one what is possible in the world of home theater, and we do have a habit of thinking "outside the box" as well.

Sorry about the lack of responses (although we've got a start on that now). There is less traffic here this time of year (those in the US in particular seem to spend less time here as the weather warms, since many are doing outdoor stuff). A little persistence and patience helps a bit, especially this time of year - it just takes a bit longer to get answers, but we get to it, eventually!

I did leave a response in the sub thread.

Mr Money,

I try to respond but sometimes I do miss a few questions,does not mean in any way I IGNORE or dislike the poster.Sorry if I missed your previous post.

PS If I do not brag at least twice/day I feel nausea and get Bragsybitis attacks! 2.gif I just have to brag

G

Frankly, I only get about an hour every other day to look at this forum, Sometimes more if I am goofing off at work like now1.gif

I don't think anybody here is ignoring the newbies, I have had posts that never got any replies too. HMMM- HMMM, my question about modifying an MC-250 for example.

Just be patient, there is a great bunch of guys and knowledge here.

JM

All,

Thank you for the heart felt explanations...the more I think about my comments the more I believe I was being rediculously impatiant. I just returned from the Gulf region about 3 weeks ago and saved a few bucks over there ($225.00 a month for hazardous duty pay) and was in a hurry to spend, spend , spend.

Again, I appologize for my unwarented comments, the knowledge base here is un-matched!!!

V/R

G-Money (real name is Glenn)

I think that sometimes questions are ignored because thay hae been asked and answered many times. A quick search would most likely answer most question.

This forum is such a big help and is growing everyday. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Now should I set my speakers to large or small? 9.gif9.gif9.gif

Earle