KRELL Equipment

Gilbert

I'm going to start building a Home Theater System within the next couple months, and I'm currently gathering information; That's where you come-in. My system will be relatively simple at first (just a 5 channel system), 2 fronts, 2 rears and a center channel.

Anyway, I have K-horns in the front, Cornwalls (as soon as somebody sells me pair)for the rear and a Heresy for my center. So far I've been having a love-affair 3.gif with Krell's TAS-Amplifier 200W x 5 @ 8ohms, and Krell's HTS 7.1 Processor. But they're cost is approaching the prohibative zone. I've hagled cost down (Down I say) to $6800.00 for the Amp and $4500.00 for the processor. However, I have a wife and would like to keep her too. So if I go with say McIntosh or Krell, I'll have to lie about the price.

Anyway, if any of you guys has experience with Krell equipment, please share. Also, if you have any other recommendations, I'd like to hear'em. Your input and your time are appreciated, thanks guys.

----------------

On 5/27/2003 1:11:06 PM Gilbert wrote:

However, I have a wife and would like to keep her too. So if I go with say McIntosh or Krell, I'll have to lie about the price.

Anyway, if any of you guys has experience ... Your input and your time are appreciated

----------------

Sorry for the creative editing... 9.gif but in my experience I would avoid lying about it...

Have you considered Tube amps? With the efficiency of your Khorns, you won't need the 200WPC ... and I'm pretty sure you can get excellent sound for quite a bit less money. If you are interested, the members in the 2-channel forum will be able to recommend some tube amps.

Just some food for thought...

Rob

KRELL did anyone say KRELL?

9.gif

Yes I have vast Krell experience and own the FPB600 power amp.Krell amplifiers are build like very few and are as grain free as solid state goes.

Krell matches very well with larger Klipsch as well as power hungry speakers like Dynaudio.

I did not try the Krell HT pre/pro,but a few amps,including the KSA 50,100 and 300.All share the same lack of electronic sound most solid state have.

I SAY LIE TO THE WIFE ABOUT THE PRICE AND GET THE KRELL 9.gif

more later...at work now! 6.gif

I really like Mcintosh amps. mine (the MC-2105) has a really nice sweet sound to it, yet has the power (105 watts per channel) to maintain control, and provide high volume and dynamic headroom. not to mention they have those badass blue watt meters!

"Anyway, I have K-horns in the front, Cornwalls (as soon as somebody sells me pair)for the rear and a Heresy for my center. So far I've been having a love-affair with Krell's TAS-Amplifier 200W x 5 @ 8ohms, and Krell's HTS 7.1 Processor. But they're cost is approaching the prohibative zone."

One: Before you purchase the Krell stuff, make sure you have a way out. You may not like the Krell through the Khorns.....you better like upper end detail! It is very clean detail, but lots of detail, nonetheless. Demand 100% refund no questions asked, in case you don't like them, before you do this.

Two: The McIntosh is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Krell. Mac= smoooooooth, Krell=detail (generally speaking, of course). In the SS amplifier realm, they are polar opposites. Both great amps, but much different from one another.

Three: Two completely different approaches to bass. Mac = tubish/bouncy/loose-ish, in a good way........and Krell = ripping bass that will knock ya between the eyes before you even know whatthehell just happened to your clean shorts6.gif. The first thing I noticed about the Krell bass is the clean, deep, quick impact it has. I purchased a used Krell HTS (the original, which is only 5.1) a couple of years back, and love it's sonics for HT.......1000% improvement in my subwoofer performance. I now run a Mac 250 amp as the main speaker amp, which smooooooooths the Krell off quite nicely, while leaving the HT detail in place. So I get nice smooooooth detail on the top side, with rippin' bass response. Great qualities for HT, and reasonably good 2 channel sound as well - although much better 2 channel can be had, most certainly.

I would never do an all-Krell amp and preamp with Klipsch. IMO, one or the other must go, in favor of a less-bright alternative. I would also not purchase a Krell brand new (especially the preamp) - the only reason I got mine was due to the price, as it was an older used unit. That's MY wallet's opinion, though - some have a bigger budget than others.

Another consideration on the pre-pro: Many wish to change to the latest and greatest pre/pros as the new formats come out. If this may be a habit of yours, go less expensive than the Krell - that's a lot of dough to shell out for a unit category that gets upgraded very frequently in audio circles - and where resale sucks. Look for upgradeability here from a company that delivers (Krell has a less than stellar rep on upgradeability on prepros). On the amp, less so, since amps stay in systems for a much longer period of time, on average. Look up used prices on three year old amps vs three year old preamps by Krell and you'll see what I mean. Very few will even LOOK at a 5.1 HTS these days....they are relatively worthless now, compared to new prices.

Also, given the level of gear you are looking at, you should also explore the Lexicon, Anthem, Bryston, EAD, and a host of other high end manufacturers' theater products. At the Krell price point, there's SERIOUS competition out there......with lots to drool over. That said, if you are addicted to Krell sound, no one will be able to get you away from it......much like I am with Heritage klipsch.

Hi Craig:

Yes, I have a pair of K-horns, but they are very lonely and need some bud's to hang-out and jamb with. Those Cornwalls that were on Ebay told me they wanted to meet my K-horns, but they were charmed away by some sweet talking, money wheeling Flyboy.

Anyway, don't feel bad, because I would have scarfed'em up in a heartbeat, even against a fellow Klipsch'str. Take care, and see ya!!

As far as KRELL goes check out e-Bay. The seller is "member888" or something like that. I think both units were in the 10K window. This persons auctions claim that you get the full warranty and the last I checked they had 100% positive feedback.

You might also check out the Parasound HALO line. MSRP for the A-51 amp and C-2 pre/pro is $8,000/00 msrp (C-1 has 5" TFT display, extra video inputs, heavier duty power supply and ever so slight better specs. but add: $2-2,500.00). My bet is that about $7K will buy the pair. If you do not have a dealer near you I have a contact that might be able to save you some money that is an authorized dealer.

I have a few small quirks in my gear that I am attempting to work out with Parasound since I got some of the first to hit the street but I'd bet at this juncture the are solid.

Call me a nut, EARS and others speak up here, but one day I might try 3 Crown K1's since you can get them for $999 each. Thats 250-300 wps and under $3K and you have 3 boxes not just one.

You can email directly if you like at mam165@comcast.net.

Regards,

Mike

As I said more later...

So

Most Krell owners do not own horn load speakers,they use the Krell second to none ability to drive more complex loads like Thiel or Dynaudio presents.The harder to drive a speaker the more a real Krell likes it.

Krell amplifiers are all about detail,too smooth amps sugar coat too much.May sound nicer but do not represent reality.Its your call here,me I want to hear all the detail I can hear.

And one more hing Krell amps are not harsh,those who would call them harsh have no clue what HARSH stands for.Krell has no audible grain in the sound,I used my FPB600 with my RF7's just for fun,to hear what the combination was worth.And the sound has no trace of harshness or edge.Just transparent to the extreme,if fact the best speakers are very transparent.Krell is the anti muffler sound,its tells it like it is.

My FPB600 drives Dynaudio Contour 3.3's,as this match proves to be made in heavens.The 3.3's demand a real deal amp,no whimpy reveiver will do,with the Krell the Contours really can deliver,and deliver they do.

Most will prefer a McIntosh with Klipsch,as the combination is less strict of lesser recordings.Me I want the studio sound,if its harsh I want harsh,if its smooth I want smooth.

Also..

I use an Audio Reasearch preamp with my FPB600,a tube AR.This combination gives me the best of both worlds,tube preamp with a transparent and liquid but clinical giant solid state amp.A great combination,not too much softening and just the nice soft glow to make long listening a pleasure.

I say try them both the Krell and the McIntosh,both are good(DUH GREAT) products

Oh what is great is Krell amps perform great even at very low power outputs and maintain the signal integrity from a very low output all the way up to a hellacious output.Linearity is the name of the game here

PSSST...GET THE KRELL DUDE 2.gif

"Call me a nut, EARS and others speak up here, but one day I might try 3 Crown K1's since you can get them for $999 each. Thats 250-300 wps and under $3K and you have 3 boxes not just one."

Who needs three little tiny boxes,when ONE is capable of 600 @ 8Ohms,1200 @ 4Ohms and 2400W RMS per channel into a 2 Ohms load.

The Krell surpasses these figures with ease.A FPB600 can drive any speakers to very high SPL with ease,it would also make a KILLER subwoofer amp capable driving the most fearsome woofers to their max.

And this is not even the second most powerful Krell.The MRA and KAS the previous Krell showpieves were capable of even more and the MRA is the undisputed,undefeated king of ubber power.Lets say it like it is the Krell MRA is the super power of amplifiers.

1.gif

"BTW, one person suggested Lexicon. Excellent equipment. I seen and heard some of their line at CES. Guess what... Crown makes thier amp."

Uh uh how can I tell you this...

Dude BRYSTON makes the Lexicon AMPS.The modular multichannel anyway.Oh yes BTW Bryston would be another contender to Krell's throne for much much less and Bryston has a warranty NOBODY has.Bryston is known with Krell as the BASS MEISTERS,slam galore and again great linearity and very transparent sound.

The Bryston 14B tempts me very much,I could drive my alarm clock with it. LOL(did you all notice I reduced the "LOL" use!)

I have not auditioned the Krell, but for the money, you can get the best HALO lineup and have money left over to take your wife on vacation.

Check out the Parasound Halo line before you decide.

dndphishin,

Bryston 4B driving SVS Ultra subs.I would go with the mono vesion,the 4B is no slouch at 400W into 4Ohms,800W RMS into 4Ohms would be ...ideal.

The result should be very positive,the Ultras will come to life no doubt.

With a 20 year warranty Bryston durability is unique,who else gives waranties this good? Hmm not many dare back their mouth and claims with this level of confidence.

Has anybody used any amps by CLASSE AUDIO for Klipsch systems?

I haven't, but have the chance to demo a system at a dealer. Had CLASSE amps set up with B&W Nautilus Signature speakers. When first seeing the amps,I thought they were Krell. The sales rep replied,"Krell quality without the Krell price". They sounded great with the B&W's,which are very efficient speakers as well,but have no idea of how they would match with Klipsch.

Might be worth looking into.

Sorry DUDE but Crown makes the new multi channel amp, BRYSTON made last years model.

My Crown reference was one of value (performance/price ratio) 3 amps for 3K. Like 2 burgers for 2 bucks...

Regards,

Mike

Wow! After looking at the prices of some of these amps and then lying to his wife about them do you think Gilbert would be around long enough to take advantage of something like a Bryston 20 year warranty? It could be a case of overkill in more ways than one. He He He He