help me find a good POWER AMP ranging no more that $3500 -4000

danechristian

im lookin at the aragon 2007, rotel rmb 1095+ rmb 1080 (to make it a 7 channel amp combo), adcom's 7807, B&K's 200.7, parasounds halo series A51+ A21 for a combo 7 channel.

they were all 200 W /channel except for the parasound halo series. they were 25o W/channel. i think they are pretty powerful but im more interested into the sound quality.. pls help me buy a good power amp that can serve my ears for how many ears.. TY open suggestions are highly recommended and appreciated.1.gif

now dont anyone get mad, but i used to run rotel, i now run b&k, to me it is a vast improvement, warmer, more detail, more and cleaner power for ht (42 amps p-p, as opposed to the denon 5308 15 amps p-p), more musical, but before you take anyones word, arm yourself with a few known cd's dvd's and audition everything, 4000 is alot to spend on a strangers word12.gif

Some great power amps

ATI 2505(replaced by the 3000,high power and great sound quality)

Sunfire CinemaGrand Signature(a true smooth sounding powerhouse,did I say smooth and a POWERHOUSE)

Classe CAV75(good little multichannel,works great with R series Klipsch)

Bryston 9B SST(a best buy,near Krell sound for much less)

Pass,Krell,Celeste(MOON),Proceed(ML) multichannel I am afraid would go beyond your budget.A solid 5K is needed to get one of these.The above are quite close and cost a good deal less

Like EAR said the SUNFIRE and BRYSTON are great choices. I bought the Parasound HALO because I got a great deal (no longer avaialble but you can PM me if you want to).

One of these days (I'm getting braced for my ball busting from EARS as i type) I going to try 3 x Crown K1's pro amps (2 channel) at about 3 grand total!

Good luck.

Regards,

Mike

You have a lot of options at that price range.

I'd look at EAR's recomendations plus the Lexicon NT512. It is supposed to be the same same as the 9BST except it has the Lexicon 5yr warranty vs the Bryston 20yr (ie, amps built by Bryston but in a Lexicon box). And it's cheaper.

You might also want to check out the newer Sherbourns. They were recommened to me by our local Dynaudio dealer but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.

You may want to consider lower cost great quality stereo amps instead of 7 ch amp.

Ive been replacing my amps with McIntosh MC-250s. Buying from Ebay for $335 -400 each. Have them powering my front 3 channels and the HT sounds much more 3D than before.

JM

Lots of great amps mentioned above. What are you trying to achieve and with what setup?

If you want better two-channel music I'd focus on a dedicated 2-channel preamp first.

For 7.1 you could get a killer 2 or 3 channel amp for the front and then use a stack of Outlaw mono blocks for the rest...or used 5-channel amp.

Look at Odyssey amps.

I would also blind test a sub $2k amp vs $4k amp. I would get the rest of the chain right first and then see how much you value the improvement over say the Rotel RMB-1075 or Outlaw 770. The differences between SS amps doesn't seem to be as big as other components such as the pre-amp. Remember the studies where the mega dollar amp couldn't be identified from the consumer amp?

I would consider used/demos from audiogon.

For a reference I would compare the amps to the Theta Dreadmaught II.

There is a Bryston 9BST on audiogon now $2,200. I was eyeing it but I'm trying to save for different speakers.8.gif

Bryston and Sherbourn basically use 5 monoblocks in one box, each with it's own toroidal transformer. I think either can be ordered with between two and five (seven-Sherbourn) channels since each channel is an individual unit.

I have a good friend that bought the B&K 5 chanel amp. it is very nice.

I have a Sherwood Necastle 5 x 125.

Sherbourn looks very powerful as well.

Do not be obsessed by 250 watts per channel. With Klipsch you should never need more than 50 watts.

And with some Klipsch speakers 10 watts wil blow your face off.

5.1 is fine for me.

More than that requires more power amp and speaker investment than i will make to watch a movie.

Most movies are not Lord of the Rings and Terminator in your face sound anyway.

sorry to not reply sooner fish, i know there are plenty of denonites here, and i did do many head to head auditions before deciding on the b&k, the differences i noticed between the denon 5803 and the b&k avr 507, was in those critical spots in movies where the explosions, or cars, any sudden unexpected sounds occured, the b&k just had more impact, more dynamics. after i had heard the differences, i asked, and they said the differences were due to several things, the b& k used tighter tolerance electronics in thier manufacture for example i% resistors as opposed to 5%, plus the b&k was a non current limiting reciever, the 15 amp p-p as opposed to 42 amp p-p is from thier spec sheets, but in all fairness i will see if i can get better definition for you fish 12.gif

Audio Flynn,

"Do not be obsessed by 250 watts per channel. With Klipsch you should never need more than 50 watts.

And with some Klipsch speakers 10 watts wil blow your face off."

I say NAY

BE OBSESSED WITH WATTAGE,I use quad RF7's in a room as large as most of you Klipschers bathrooms and guess what dual ATI amps power the Klipsch army.Blowing the face of,I call this a face lift.

2.gif

I come from the old school. You can never have too much clean power if used correctly. I like headroom. If you cause a brown-out within 3 square miles of your home when you turn your system on then you can feel confident that youre getting the job done. 11.gif9.gif

----------------

On 6/3/2003 1:12:29 PM danechristian wrote:

im lookin at the aragon 2007, rotel rmb 1095+ rmb 1080 (to make it a 7 channel amp combo), adcom's 7807, B&K's 200.7, parasounds halo series A51+ A21 for a combo 7 channel.

they were all 200 W /channel except for the parasound halo series. they were 25o W/channel.

----------------

Your first post mentioned the Adcom 7807, which is actually 300wpc x7. I am not sure what speakers you are driving, but that seems excessive. Even the RF-7's are rated 250 max.

However, I can say that I have been running an Adcom 585 (250wpc)for almost 11 years, & it has always run perfect & given me a great sound, with no harshness or noise at all. The only reason I have an amp with this much power is because I got it in a deal with the preamp & cd player. I never run it to its full power. I like my house where it is 9.gif

You might want to look into separate amps as mentioned above. Spend most of the money to get good clean power for the mains & center, & use the rest for a good but lower power amp for the rear. The rear channels are no where near as demanding as the front for HT.

I'm using a six channel McIntosh amp, the MC206 200 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 120 watts per channel 8 ohms. I went with this amp because I was trying to find a multi channel SS amp that might have a warmer tube like sound. The others that I was concidering were from B&K and Parasound. I'm not sorry I went with the Mac. I'm still powering my front effect speakers and a second pair of rear surrounds with my RX-V3000 Yamaha receiver. Maybe someday another MC206. For now the Yamaha can handle those 4 channels.

• 4 weeks later...