Outdoor speakers any recs?

ben.

----------------

On 6/5/2003 11:04:29 PM JCturboT wrote:

Justin,

Just got back from the Niles webpage and checked out the speakers you mentioned.

The CM-6HD and HD-6R are not Outdoor speakers at all but more like whole house speakers.

I have never heard them myself so they might not sound like the OS lineup at all,which is a weather-proof speaker.

Jeff
----------------

Nope, they are indoor. But if they can't make a decent indoor then how good could their outdoor be?

Honestly I think they may be great speakers, but something is really wrong with our setup...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I still stick by my opinion though-Best-Niles are the best outdoor speaker I've heard to date.

Jeff----------------"

i guess my emphasis is on the "heard to date" reference.... you have not heard the best outdoor speakers available...have you heard the speakers that i have suggested in addition to your niles speakers????...

i have listened to your niles outdoor speakers as well as the soundtube and near alternatives.... niles is a distant third in sound quality.... if even that!!!! ... not to mention that they cost at least as much or even more!!!!

.... comment all you want on the looks of different speakers...but the comment was about the sound...the sound!!!

simply put...niles speakers are very overpriced for a very mediocre sound compared to the better alternatives that are available....

if you bother to listen to other options that are out there it would become very obvious to you.....

if you are happy with your speakers...more power to you...but don't try to convince others when you haven't even bothered to listen to anything else....!!!!

Russ,

Having won not one- but two AV International Hi-Fi Grand Prix awards I am not just casting my opinion out there lightly-

these are highly regarded outdoor speakers across the web especially on the audio pages.

If Bclarke421 wants to audition all of the mentioned outdoor speakers and finds others that suits his needs thats great but I am just giving him my opinion.

Jeff

----------------

On 6/5/2003 11:31:28 PM minn_male42 wrote

"if you bother to listen to other options that are out there it would become very obvious to you....."

I take opinions with a grain of salt,especially when it comes to Audio.I check the reviews,check out the company,then go check out the product.THEN I let my ears be the judge.If you happen to venture over to the 2 channel forum you will see if I am remotely interested in something I buy it,try it,and if I like it keep it (this doesn't happen too often).

The speakers you mentioned earlier in your post just were not any where around to hear/see or I would have gladly gone for a look-see as I am open to anything that sounds nice.

"if you are happy with your speakers...more power to you...but don't try to convince others when you haven't even bothered to listen to anything else....!!!!----"------------

"haven't even bothered to listen to
anything
else.....!!!!!"

Don't know what up with the attitude in your post but if you bothered to read my earlier post you'll see the brands I auditioned.This was by no means a "blind" decision on my part.

Just ask my wife about anything I purchase,it does not come on short notice.She complains all the time about my Analness!

Take it for what it is-someones elses opinion.

Jeff

the "attitude" in my post....mmmmmm....let's see....

"Besides,the "rock" speakers look gaudy IMHO and the other brand look like mosquito traps or those horrible 1950 outdoor lighting."

you feel very free to make negative comments about the appearance of some speakers that i feel have some excellent sound characteristics.....

mmmmmm....and I have an attitude.....

Some observations.

Going outdoors really is a challenging acoustic environment . To be fair to your expections, please take whatever you have in the living room and move them to the patio as an experiment.

In high school hauled the living room type Heathkit speakers (like an AR) to the school cafeteria expecting to show off good sound. It was hopeless.

When the Klipsch people party outdoors the bring the LS and MCM 1900.

I don't want to discourage you by any means.

It is interesting. I went to West Marine tonight to find some rugged paint to put on a coffee table. They have small speakers which are intended for use on the boat. It may be that such items are suitable for use on the patio. But if you want living room bass, someone is going to have make a marine subwoofer. Smile.

Gil

Thanks all of you for taking time to reply.

Many of you bring up good points. I don't have the time to run around and audition everything under the sun, so this thread has been a big help.

Will, your point about bass response is well taken (hmmm infinite baffle subs in the foundation?11.gif ). Having followed up on some leads presented here, 45-50Hz response may be out of our budget and WAF ratio. We're set to pour in 2 weeks, so I'll let you know (and see) how everything turns out.

BTW- does anyone need a good grill? Check out www.sunshinegrills.com I can get them wholesale, but I need to order three to get the right pricing. Let me know if you are interested.

My idea of a good pair of speakers in your situation? Why not a pair of LaScalas? Great outdoor speakers...ESPECIALLY when they are backed against a wall firing out over a patio! In the winter months you just drag em into the garage and have dances there!! LOL! If your home design is compatible, you can mount em upside-down solidly with their bottoms against an eve...run velcro around the front edges and around the perimeter of a "no-see-um" netting to make a removable "anti-critter" grille cloth. You'd be surprised at some of the acoustic advantages that are often found using a mounting like that! 2.gif

HDBR-

Where've you been?

LS outside would be great. I'd be willing to exceed our budget for Heritage outside. The problem is rain short of costructing a weather-proof enclosure, I have no way of protecting them from the elements. The overhang in that area is only about a foot, so they would have no protection from blowing rain.

Any ideas?

Actually, the N-26AW and N-24AW by JBL are quite good sounding (for a Northridge) although a bit inefficient. I suspect it's because they route more power to the 4" (or 6") driver to produce the bottom that is so sorely lacking in the others I've heard (Blo$e 251, 151, Yamaha NS-AW1)

So if you've got a pretty stout amp to drive them, they're a great low-cost alternative ($200/pr for the N24's, and if you can still get them, $100/pr at BB for the N26's) that sounds pretty good too.

Yeah, the N28 in my HT trade efficiency for LF extension. With 125 WPC it's the antithesis of the Klipsch ideal, but sound OK to me. I can adapt to just about anything within reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we poured the patio Saturday. Rain in the morning actually helped, since we got stiffed by one of the finishers. The rain kept it from setting up too quick.

Anyway, ended up 17'x20' and looks great. Got the grill, just paid the long buck for freight.

I just had a thought this AM. I have an old University corner horn. I can build a box for it with heavy casters and a front door that seals. Either run it in mono or- it has dual tweeter and a cobreflex squawker. I could run the tweets in stereo and mod the mids to run in stereo. This would change the system impedance and balance. I'm just brain-storming. Any thoughts??

my m&d have a pair of Klipsch sa-3's under their rear porch and a pair of sa-2's on the boat dock. when you walk out the back door, the sa-3's(w/8"woofers)sound FANTASTIC,then as you move away from the house toward the boat dock, as the sa-3's gradually fade the sa-2's pick up.wonderful seamless sound!

i HIGHLY recommend the sa-3's/sa-2's. stay away from the rocks and the sa-1/hs-1's. i've installed niles os25's and bose 251's but the Klipsch speakers RULE!! jbl n26aw's sound good, and that clearence price sounds sweet.

just my 2 pesos

avman.

Thanks AV

That clearance price didn't actually check out. I think the Klipsch are out of our price range for the bigger stuff. The sa-1 didn't spec out too well. I think I'm going to try to cobble something up with this big ole Uni. Wish me luck at least!

Ben

Thanks av

Nice avatar, too. I don't know how into photography you are, but there are filters and different film types available to achieve a more balanced color underwater. We took a cheapy underwater disposable to St. Martin just for shnits and giggles.

Thank for the good luck!!