prodj101

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/8/2003 12:46:33 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

Pack rat,

Welcome to the forum. Nice shot of many neat toys. What do you think of the ARC SP9 vs the pre and phono of the Scott?

----------------

KJ,

The SP9 is a lot quieter but it's also on the dry side. The 299 is a work in progress, i've had it about 7 years, got it cheap because of some cosmetic damage and experiment on it quite a bit. The Allen Bradley resistors seemed to cause most of the noise in the Scott and when I switched to Rikken Ohm carbons it cleaned up the noise floor without losing the meaty Scott sound. Now if I can get a little more gain from the phono section so I don't need the step up transformer i'd be very happy with the Scott on a daily basis.

Maybe I just need a new phono pre2.gif

It's amazing i'm still married.

Pack rat

An overall shot of my system components :

Ariston RD80sl Turntable ca. 1980

Grace 707 Tonearm

Shure V15 III cartridge

Homebrew mat made from no slip shelf liner material ( works like a damn!)

Zerostat antistatic Gun

Parastat Mk IIA Brush

Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT amplifier

Dynaco PAT 4* Preamplifier

Dynaco FM 3 Tuner

Cambridge Audio D500se CD Player

Pioneer SA4500 II Amplifier ( Provide amplification for rear effects speakers )

Dynaco QD-1 Quadaptor

Flexy-Rack based on TNT Audio Design

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=27336&

* The PAT 4 is soon to be replaced by a PAS 3 generously made available to me at a very low price by kjohnsonhp. In continuation of the spirit of generosity that I have benefitted from on various occasions here on the forum - Once the PAS 3 arrives I will make the PAT 4 available for $25.00 to any forum member who wants it. It is in decent condition and works fine. It is missing the knob for the high filter switch but is otherwise intact. I have found the phono section in particular to be very nice . Lucky bidder to pay actual shipping costs. Email or PM me if you want it.

The individual components are shown in the posts that follow.

post-7212-13819247646302_thumb.jpg

EL 34 based integrated rated at 35 w/channel Class A.

Based on its design and comments from knowledgable folk such as mdeneen,Mobile Homeless ( aka Kelly,Pompous Azz) I suspect that it will go AB well below 35 watts but nonetheless she drove my KLF30's to nirvanna and now drives my Khorns exquisitely. It is unlikely that this amp if ever leaves Class A in my setup. I love this thing !

post-7212-13819247651662_thumb.jpg

Stole my FM-3 on ebay !

It was advertised as a Dyna Tuner. There were very few bids and I nailed it for U$ 25.00. Typically they run in the 50.00 - 150.00 range when advertised as being Dynaco Fm - 3.

The lessons here for Ebay buyers and sellers is:

Buyers - Search for poorly/inaccurately described items !

Sellers - Describe your items so as to attract those in the know - You will get better prices !

My FM3 sounds lovely but I think it is in need of a little restoration as from time to time its output drops drastically but rebounds quickly. Best guess is a capacitor but it is certainly possible that one of its tubes is about to crater.

post-7212-13819247654612_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of my Cambridge Audio D500se and my Pioneer SA 7500 II and Dynaco QD1 Quadaptor.

The D500se - Glorious !

The Pioneer provides amplification to the rear effects speakers.

The QD1 provides ambient signal to the pioneer which it derives from the original 2 channel signal.

I apologise for the poor picture quality.

post-7212-13819247665432_thumb.jpg