Before/After My 1982 Khorns!

lynnm

First

Thank you Mis Amigos who bent over backwards to help me obtain the Khorns singing gloriously in my living room as I type. Special thanks to Dale Walker, Jim Cornell, Formica and anyone else I may have overlooked. Your efforts are greatly appreciated !

As most of you already know those puppies were in a hell of a state when I got them. I have done some work on them but they are by no means finished but they are now at least presentable.

Pics to follow in a few minutes!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this figurine at a yard sale the day before I started my 750 mile round tripper to pick up my horns. We walked into the garage and my wife and I spotted them at the same time.

She: MiGod that figurine is perfect !

Me: I gotta Have it!

She: What are they asking ?

She: Well errum the horns are expensive and....

Me: I'm buying it !

She: But .....

Me: Shush Woman.. It's Mine !

She <GRIN>

Me<Thank you Jesus!>

Them $20.00

Me :SOLD!!

DCP_0326.JPG

post-7212-13819247736396_thumb.jpg

Thanks Folks

( Gotta love it when you go fishing and land a few 9.gif ).

Re Refinishing etc.

The speakers are KCBR's from 1982. "C" style . They were Birch Raw but a previous owner had stained them to a dark Maple colour.

I gave them a cleaning and wiped them with Boiled Linseed Oil which I had tinted with Artists Red Oxide paint ( You better like the smell of BOL if you do this - Took a week to dry ) !

The kick plates are Fir which I ripped down to about 1/4" thickness on a table saw - stained using minwax and then treated with the BOL mixture mentioned above.

They are coming along nicely. They are never going to look perfect but at least they are no longer an embarassment.

Bill H.

Re: The Rack

I built it based on plans for the flexy Rack as described on the TNT audio site. Their design calls for 3 legs but I opted for 4.

I heartily recommend this stand:

Attractive

Cheap to build

Stable and strong

Easy to build ( That be a good thing as I am a klutz ) 9.gif

Lynnm - They are now truely beautiful. Congrats. I just finished a maple tv/stereo stand using BLO as finish. If you find it is a little sticky (which I did - even after a week), rub it down lightly with 0000 steel wool. Works very well. - Gary

LOL

Oddly enough it doesn't rattle. I actually blocked it in with a false corner and it made no difference to the sound.

The next step will be to rub them down withh 0000 steel wool and apply a coat of furniture oil. I haven't got the grills in place at the moment as I need to modify them for proper fit. There is the window issue for one thing and in addition the baseboards in my 94 year old house are very high which keeps the horny old thangs from fitting snugly. Hopefully this will be accomplished this weekend.