preamp hell...

sold my Creek passive to Randy Bey...then bought some cheapy sound values JFET unit...now I KNOW I need a decent tubed preamp...the creek was great in terms of transparency but I need two things from a preamp: 1. two switchable unbalanced outputs (output 1, output2, both) AND 2. tone controls...I also crave some tube warmth so...most units with these features really tend to dampen up the music, I hear less dynamics and certainly less transparency then I want...NOW...I would spring $1-2k for the perfect preamp but which one has features 1 and 2, has real warmth but also has great extension, dynamics and sounds utterly transparent? easy one huh? Obviously I have to go for a used unit since preamps with these types of descriptions seem to cost more tha $5k new...I see names like BAT and Conrad & Johnson mentioned as well as CAT and perhaps Joule-Electra...anyone have opinions? mabe look at vintage gear? (unfortunately a Marantz 7C is over $2k)...help! Tony

Sunnysal,

I posted a suggestion to your question in another topic (there is a used BAT preamp for $750 on Audio Review). Your desires are pretty tough. Since most tube preamps are "high-end", and most "High-end" preamps don't have tone controls, I think it's going to be tough to find everything you're looking for. Of course I'm not familiar with every model out there, but I think it will be tough to find a tube preamp with tone controls. I have been wrong before though.

Also, it should not be hard to find a used Audio Research tube preamp in your price range (don't think they have tone controls though). My Audio Research LS-3 (SS) preamp does have two single-ended outputs, but they are not switchable.

thanks JMON, I know it will difficult, a tubed preamp with tone controls and switchable outputs...but...that´s what I want...I suppose the tone controls would be optional in my mind on a warm, huge soundstage, detailed and dynamic tubed preamplifier! given that any ideas?...I cannot find current production C&J or BAT preamps with switchable outputs...maybe vintage? many McIntoshs seem to have that feature (AND Tone controls, even Loudness...but I think they are a little too antiseptic in sound, not too warm, but maybe they had a model way back that meets my needs...the 20 or 22?)...thanks, tony

sunnysal,

My Audio Research sp3a has the tone controls and two sets of outputs but are not switch- able. Could'nt you just turn on/ off the amp you do not want to use? I think you can find sp3/ sp3a's for around $700- $1000. It is a nice preamp but I do think the newer technology tube stuff will sound far better. Maybe a re- worked Dynaco pas would work, though it only has one output you could use the tape out as a second.

Tony

I have the Adcom (SS) GFP565 preamp..it has 3 switchable outputs..and tone controls! I couple this with an Assemblage (Sonic Frontiers) tube amp, and have been happy as a clam for over a year now! I welcome the warmth of the power amp being tube, but have no complaints with the solid state preamp. I previously owned the Adcom top-of-the line preamp, the GFP 750 (no tone controls!) and I hated it!! Much to their credit, Adcom worked with me and traded me out with another preamp (same model but not as good as the 565) ) but a used GFP565 did it for me! By the by, my speakers are the K Horns..since 1982! Give this amp a try ,you'll have to buy a used one (check out Ebay..good prices) You won't be disappointed..and a phono stage to boot!

Steve

I recently purchased the Little Wonder Passive Preamp. It just arrived yesterday in the mail so I have not had a chance to review it.

I also have several different tube pre-amps including: Cary SLP 98L, Audio Research SP9 MKII, Cary SLP 70, and Counterpoint ??. Overall the best of the bunch is the SLP 98.

I found that Frank Van Alstine has some units with two outputs and tone controls for around $1k...the quesiton is has anyone heard his stuff? any good? lastly the Audio Research seems to be just the ticket but I cannot find any for sale anywhere...anyone have ideas? thanks, tony