People exaggerate the subwoofer...

Yeah, it's a nice unit. Drops pretty low and can get decently loud at 50Hz+

But people on here are saying stuff like they can barely have the volume turned up past 1/3 and they sub is hurting their ears. I think that is kind of BS. I have this thing faced in the corner of the room with the port firing straight into the corner with one 6.5" sub on each side of the wall. That's the max gain you will get in my small 13' by 13' room. Even with this it's pretty good but nowhere near ear shattering levels. People are saying that it rattles windows... LOL! You must have some really loose windows because the most I can do with my setup is get my drywall to vibrate.

I'm not putting down the subs... hell I've had these v2.400s for 3 years and they have been rocking as well as the day I bought them but I really think people shouldn't overhype the subwoofer.

True in the sense, but if you've done what i've done then its possible to an extent. I've gotten my Sub to hit 106db from sitting position (About 1.5m) and on hard kicks, I've had things downstairs below the subwoofer accually vibrate, not tingle, and stuff in the other room like the fans you hear vibrate. However its no Sunfire or SVS sub...thats true.

5liter's right! when i first bought the 4.1s i expected a bombshell sub because of all the reviews and hype around it... when i got it, i was pretty disappointed with how "quiet" it is... if u do a search on my earlier posts - u will see that i complained about everything from port noise to how i dont even feel it during movies.

no doubt its a great pc sub, but i think for the sake of future 4.1 owners, they must be forewarned that they shouldnt expect a sub that rattles to bones (unlike what has been hyped in the past).

so here's the deal all u potential buyers of the 4.1 system:

-the sats are great - kind of bright at times (omg does eminem sound really annoying when its turned up)

-also, the sub is good, but if u crave INTENSE bass - nu uh... not gonna work here.

-also, keep in mind that for 200 buck, u cant (and i cant) expect this to replace a good ht setup.

OK, first of all, shut the **** up. Before you start calling what I say BS, let me explain. first of all, I don't know WHY you would have your port facing the corner. The sound travels a lot better when directed into your room, believe me. Also, I have a VERY SMALL ROOM. It's crazy. I don't even need volume past 1/3 on my sub because my ears are VERY sensitive (I'll explain later) and I don't like bass that makes my ears feel funny or hurt. I also keep the main volume around 2/3, and that's fine for me. My ears are really sensitive, far more sensitive than anyone I know. I can hear the volume on my walkman fine on 17 and yet I'll hand it to a friend and they'll say they can't hear it and crank it up to 25 (OUCH!). I can also hear those dog whistles and alarms that no one else seems to be able to hear and I have no idea why other than I have a slightly higher range. The only way you can hear how loud my sub is is to come to my house and see for yourslelf. I GUARANTEE that in a large room I'd lose almost 2/3 of my current power, it's just because of the way my room is set up and how efficiently I've placed my speakers. Ears don't lie man...believe me.

Hear is what I've heard. (pun intended) Put your subwoofer on the floor in the place where your listening chair is. Walk around the room and find the spot where the sub is most pronounced. Put your sub there and go back to your original listening spot. Your sub should sound the same and be in the ideal location. Anyone ever try this?

Realistically, the 4.1 Sub is more than enough for most people. Music isn't meant to be heard with tons and tons of bass, you shouldn't even need to turn up your 4.1 sub more than half way depending on how it's positioned. However, if you're like me and really like bass, then more is always better :-). For a multimedia system, it's an awesome sub.

"I don't know WHY you would have your port facing the corner. The sound travels a lot better when directed into your room, believe me."

That's a funny statement... why would you face the port into the room when the port is where the sound is the loudest. When you are corner loading a sub you are supposed to have the port hitting against a wall. I don't care what you "hear" or if I should "believe you" because you have "sensitive ears" but you will not get as big a gain if you are firing into the room.

ooooo wow, 3-6 db.!!!! Anyway, that thing actually works. I found that when my sub was where it was, it was loudest near my window, the EXACT place in which I currently have it. Wierd, but I'm sure it's not always accurate. BTW, if I make my port face the corner, the sound will get trapped in the space between the bookshelf and the wall/corner, which is why I don't do that. Besides, I like the look of the port and I can still hear it where I'm sitting FINE. WOW, I jsut got this song from a friend by "Frontline Assembly" a techno group. I'm not a techno lover, but the bass in this song is great. That low rumble is fun in the beginning...turn it up!! ouch

I wasn't gonna post to shut you down, but your sarcasm about the decibel increase really irked me.

A 3-6dB increase is tremendous, do you even know what a decibel is!? Read all about it right here:

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0835810.html

Or, if you're too lazy to go there, I'll just take the most important part out of that source for you:

"Noise intensity is measured in decibel units. The decibel scale is logarithmic; each 10-decibel increase represents a tenfold increase in noise intensity. Human perception of loudness also conforms to a logarithmic scale; a 10-decibel increase is perceived as roughly a doubling of loudness. Thus, 30 decibels is 10 times more intense than 20 decibels and sounds twice as loud; 40 decibels is 100 times more intense than 20 and sounds 4 times as loud; 80 decibels is 1 million times more intense than 20 and sounds 64 times as loud. Distance diminishes the effective decibel level reaching the ear."

K thanks.

Brian

Listen to me! I'm not lying! My subwoofer starts to rattle on its stand around 2/3 voume or more! It's very loud, believe me. Jeez, who gave you the right to start a flamewar about nothing? It's a small room...it's loud...it's what I hear...I'm not lying...get used to it...it's not worth fighting over......JUST SHUT UP! WHO CARES???

I never argued with you in this thread that 2/3rds volume on the sub isn't enough for you. I even supported your argument saying that the 4.1's sub was more than ample for most people. Then, you started getting all sarcastic and defensive on us for no reason. No one wants stuff like "OK, first of all, shut the **** up," to be posted on these boards.

Yes I know what decibal is, and I know how sound works. As I said it also depends on the room size and the way it's built. In my room I noticed quite an increase on my SPL meter from doing that alone. Besides I've done everything to maximise the output from the 4.1 sub, thats how i've gotten a 106db SPL at 1.5m sitting position in my smaller computer room. It's not the most accurate doing so, but for the type of music..I don't need accuracy, and if I needed that...i'd go downstairs and listen to my HT setup which has my Sunfire included.

----------------

On 6/13/2003 2:39:21 PM MD1032 wrote:

Listen to me! I'm not lying! My subwoofer starts to rattle on its stand around 2/3 voume or more! It's very loud, believe me. Jeez, who gave you the right to start a flamewar about nothing? It's a small room...it's loud...it's what I hear...I'm not lying...get used to it...it's not worth fighting over......JUST SHUT UP! WHO CARES???

----------------

You obviously care. Settle down there bud. You're starting to sound a lot like menthos/audio-out.

I know, but this guy just viciously attacked me over a stupid subwoofer dispute! I have a small room and he simply won't believe me. maybe he likes the sound of his woofers rattling on their stands and port noise, but I find that 1/3 volume is FINE. If it's a good song, turn it up to 1/2, but anything beyond that and you're distorting with certain songs. I just don't get why you don't believe me. You're judging everyone's systems based on your own setup. Maybe we have difference acounstics than you?

BTW, all of your others, this argument is pointed mostly at fivelighterarmsawvwvmwm....whatever that guy is.