Thrift Shop find...I could not resist!

fini

Normally, I don't post about the junk I bring home (and have to hide from my wife), but today's score was awesome. A console containing Kenwood components (KA-6000 amp, KT-7000 tuner), a reel-to-reel Teac R-1000, a Dual 1019 turntable, and two speakers (Barzilay cabinets) with JBL components: LE175 drivers, 1217-1219 horns, LE14A woofers, and LX10 crossovers (basically, Lancer L-101's)!! Grand total: $35!! Haven't heard 'em yet (getting ready for a weekend camping trip), but will soon!

fini

Let's just say that (to my wife's extreme, and to some degree my, disappointment) we do not live in a minimalist, fung shui (sp?) environment, and this much stuff is but a drop in the bucket (and that bucket is way past overflow...thank God for surface tension!).

fini

P.S. Did I mention she's in a coma?

----------------

On 6/12/2003 5:42:46 PM garymd wrote:

How do you hide that much stuff from you wife? Do you have one of those Harry Potter invisibility blankets?

----------------

LOL... Yeah very good question and point.

Don't have to worry about sneaking anything inside without the wife seeing it; being single does have its benefits sometimes...But $35 for all that, plus JBL horns? WOW! What a find (what a steal)!4.gif

Greetings Gentlemen,

I have found out it is much easier to just buy the stuff and deal with the dirty looks when you get home. If you ask they just say no. But of course I just use the old "at least I'm not in a bar every night" routine.

It works every time.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

On 6/13/2003 4:32:28 PM Gregorius wrote:

Greetings Gentlemen,

I have found out it is much easier to just buy the stuff and deal with the dirty looks when you get home. If you ask they just say no. But of course I just use the old "at least I'm not in a bar every night" routine.

It works every time.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

OOOOOOOooooohhhhhhh hell yes! I could not agree more. Part of the reason I sold my belles was becuase I could not get my wife to buy off on a tube amp which is what I really wanted to power my belles with. My wife and had a couple of very heated debates. Ultimatly I gave up, sold the belles. Here's the kicker. Once the belles were sold and gone, she tells me, "you should have never asked, you should have just brought it home, I would not have been able to do anything by that time now would I"?

How full of shat is that?

I know what you mean m00n. We always discuss major purchases before we take the plunge, but if there is something I want, I just buy it. My wife likes to think about things, sometimes you have to act quickly to take advantage of an opportunity. I haven't put us in the poorhouse yet.9.gif

Greg

Oh... for us it wasn't the money, it was the looks. She was bitterly apposed to the tube gear. Didn't matter what I put in front of her rather it was a scott, fisher, exposed or non exposed tubes. She hated the looks. She even told me if I brought one home she would throw it out in the street. It was at that point I knew I was fighting a loosing battle, licked my wounds, rubbed the lumps on my head and moved on.

All women are different (and the same). Money is not an issue with us, it's keeping her decorating in tact. 4 cornwalls in our family room would not cut it. I'm trying to sneak in a heresy as the center and that will be controversial. I just have to catch her in the right mood.

I really don't have time right now to post, but I must, this post is too funny.

I just brought home a pair of cornwalls last night. My wife never seen cornwalls before, not even pictures. So, needless to say, she was a little shocked when I brought them through the door! Her neighbour friend just happened to be visiting at the time, and she asked me "Did I make these in shop class?" (they are decorator models, and could use a little work), then they talked about husbands in general (and their wierd desires), then the neighbour lady said "...better your husband than mine!". They weren't laughing during any of this.

I wasn't planning on playing the new cornwalls right away, but I had to so my wife could understand the purpose of me bringing them home. Looks like they're staying for a while.

-PB

----------------

On 6/13/2003 5:57:58 PM pierceb wrote:

I wasn't planning on playing the new cornwalls right away, but I had to so my wife could understand the purpose of me bringing them home. Looks like they're staying for a while.

-PB

----------------

Sometimes you have no choice but to a/b speakers to the wife so she understands the need for size (no pun intended). What's funny is when you tell her you're comparing one pair when you actually have a different pair hooked up altogether. It's not like she's putting her ear up to the squaker. LOL Just keep them all close together and she'll never know the difference.11.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2003 5:19:15 PM m00n wrote:

Oh... for us it wasn't the money, it was the looks. She was bitterly apposed to the tube gear. Didn't matter what I put in front of her rather it was a scott, fisher, exposed or non exposed tubes. She hated the looks. She even told me if I brought one home she would throw it out in the street. It was at that point I knew I was fighting a loosing battle, licked my wounds, rubbed the lumps on my head and moved on.
----------------

My wife hasn't threatened throwing them out, but I know what your talking about. Whenever I show my wife a possible tube amp her response is "That looks like some high school science project. Your kidding, right?"

So, unfortunately I'm staying with solid state for a while.

----------------

On 6/14/2003 7:36:18 PM bkrop wrote:

Stand up and be a man furgawdsake! Like what kind of component would your significant other choose? Good luck because they usually have no clue! Be a man! You bought it because it sounds good!
9.gif

----------------

We are men. We love our wives and we do our best to compromise with them. My wife always brings up the point that she brings in a good portion of the family income (she's a lawyer and hard to beat in an argument) and should have some say regarding how the money is spent. Sometimes it's easier to compromise than figure out how to fit your HT in your new apartment. LOL All of us with heritage have already won much of the battle by having huge speakers in the house to begin with.2.gif

----------------

On 6/12/2003 6:04:47 PM garymd wrote:

I'd like to be able to turn her off and on with a remote control.

----------------

Personnaly i'd prefer the remote control to turn her ON... 9.gif11.gif11.gif9.gif ... Wouldn't even have to get off the couch... 2.gif

As for the Klipsch, it's like you said... "All of us with heritage have already won much of the battle by having huge speakers in the house to begin with."

Priceless...

Rob.

Have you guys heard of the SOQ +-db?

I have empathy for the situation of a sometimes unsympathetic soul mate and I can feel the pain ( oh, that's the busted up right leg ).

What works sometimes with components is bringing them in one at a time and mixing them with the other stuff. If you move some of the other stuff around at the same time, it works even better.

However, when you bring a pair of black LaScalas home and pop them in the tv room, you're kind of out there on your own.

I have a pet name for this reaction. I call it the SOQ +-db.

This is the Significant Other Quotient measured in plus or negative decibels.

When I brought home a new double door fridge for a great price, the SOQ was +4 db. When I brought the LaScalas home, the SOQ was and still is -6 db.

Just from the posts on the board, it is very apparent that the pursuit of high end audio sound is a male oriented activity.

I don't drink a whole lot, don't gamble except for the odd Lottery ticket, don't run around, and don't smoke.

Basically, I consider heritage audio equipment an investment that one can enjoy and appreciate ( audibly as well as financially over time ).

And more power to those who find yard sale, pawn and thrift shop finds and appreciate the benefits of an excellent bargain.

So enjoy. Hamish1.gif