A chance at a pair of RB-5 II

I've bought the klipsch promedia 5.1 about 8 months ago and it was a real jump from what my idea of sound reproduction was. recently, I've been focused on getting the best stereo out of these multimedia speakers but they simply can not keep up musically and I feel it is about time to move on to bigger and better things. so, I ventured into my local soundadvice(south florida's tweeters) to find some klipsch bookshelf speakers. with some of my own CD's, I audited the RB-5 II's and they produced some powerful sound effortlessly. now, they are selling for $422 a pair of RB-5 II and as tight as my budget is, that doesn't seem like a bad deal for the speakers I wish to buy. the salesman even offered to have the speakers on hold until the price drops again. what do you guys think?

I'd love to drop a nice receiver on these speakers should I buy them, but it's not financially feasible at the moment, so I was thinking maybe a sony STRDE185 stereo receiver($149, 100W @ 8 Ohms) or a onkyo TX8211 stereo receiver($199 50W @ 8 Ohms) or even the higher model, onkyo TX8511 stereo receiver($299 100W @ 8 Ohms and it says 20Hz-30kHz?) my room is small and it's an apartment but I won't be underpowering the RB-5 II with 50Watts, right? I just don't know what to think as far as the receiver goes. any input's greatly appreciated, thanks.

the guy told me $211 and I read the computer screen as well. I think I'll drop the 20% tomorrow and have them hold the speakers for me until the price drop again.

I found another reciever; a harman kardon HK3375 stereo($299, 75W @ 8 Ohms, and most importantly a subwoofer preout which none of the other receivers have)

I power my RB-5s with either of two home built amps: the P6D or the pp .. both listed below. Both of those amps produce about 8 Watts max. The pp may be able to do a few Watts more. Anyway, I find that to be plenty of power. If you want to get the most out of those RB-5s, look into a very good (not necessarily expensive) ss amp. Poeple on this site know of a few. Or look into tube amplification. 75 to 100 watts of run-of-the-mill ss power on the RB-5s won't come close to letting you hear what those speakers can really do. Get an amp that excells in low distortion AT LOW POWER.

leok

It is easy to agree with LEOK.

I like tubes but in a pinch get a basic integrated amp.

An older

(in order of preference)

Naim

Creek

Arcam

Denon

Yamaha

Less is more

More watts you have on the high end generally means an amp will have the most distortion at 0-10 watts.

If you can find a power(watts @ 20 hz to 20,000hz is preferrred test method) vs distortion % graph for an average amp they make the scale funny so it minimizes how the graphic represents the distortion at low power.

I have seen some that have almost 8% distortion under one watt.

And the % distortion will get lower until power reaches 15 or 20 watts(screaming loud for the most efficient Klipsch speakers).

I do not like listening at 20 watts; it hurts allot in a small room.

AND....RB-5 is the most underrated Klipsch speaker!

I have had mine for almost 3 years; no complaints.

----------------

On 6/14/2003 10:08:52 PM mdeneen wrote:

I'm pretty interested in RB-5 speakers too. $422 seems a good price. Keep us posted. Last I checked I think they were a bit more money than that, right?

mdeneen

----------------

Hi:

My local dealer has a trade up (used) pair for $459.95 in black - rb IIs.

thank you all for responding. about an hour ago, I went back to SoundAdvice and made a partial payment of $50 on the RB-5 II's in black ash. they'll have it in from the warehouse by wednesday and I will most likely pick them up in a month or so when the price goes down(hopefully in a substantial amount). for some reason, they are now $410, another $12 in my pocket9.gif this gives me plenty of time to look for the right amplifier, but I am still very much confused on what I should get. could you guys make specific recommendation on some integrated amplifiers. as I've said, my budget is $200-$300. maybe I am not doing just to the speakers but for now it will have to do, thanks.

I am realtively suspicious of some of these cheesey little graphs in sound and vision.

It may be an embellishment, but if you get a large bump in the beginning of the graph for distortion at 1,000 hz test tone.

It implies to me if program material goes in to the amp from 20 -20 khz it will perform even worse.

Stereophile Oct 2002 pg 159 Air Tight ATM-211 tube monoblock does not prove the point. But it is a great example of the cheesye graph. This amp had problems of 3 % @ 5 watts and 5 % @ 10 watts(at 8 ohms). Advertised as a 22 watt SET amp into 8 ohms.

Only magazine I had nearby tonight.

I will have to look more for an example of the SS curve i get concerned about.

This years listening comparisssons to the Dennon SS receivers and intergrateds i own; compared to the LK-48 and LEOKS Tripath PWM amp.

The midfi SS has considerable poor sonics under 5 watts with the Chorus IIs compared ot the other alternatives.

The inference to the graphs is how i try to understand the significant differences.

PS

You would think the 40 year old RCA connections would doom sound quality on the back of the Scott. I do not think I can hear connectors. The Scott's sure look ugly enough to sound real bad and affect current to some degree, if this amp feature had any bearing on sound.

You would think the 40 year old RCA connections would doom sound quality on the back of the Scott. I do not think I can hear connectors. The Scott's sure look ugly enough to sound real bad and affect current to some degree, if this amp feature had any bearing on sound.

Funny you should mention this...When I first hooked up the TT to my Marantz 2270, I got mostly hum. So I get out the De-Ox-Id and clean the connections and all was fine. This seems to imply that you will know if you are having a problem with an RCA jack...it will either work or not!