Linseed oil

After I oiled my walnut JBL's I let them sit for a while and they felt kind of tacky as well.

I then rubbed them down with a dry lint free cloth and kind of buffed the finish.

If you have the tacky feel I think it might mean that you have an excess of oil on the surface.

You can try wiping them off and then watching to see if they look like they are drying out again, at which point you could put on another coat and let it sit and then rub off the excess.

I ended up with quite a few coats soaking into my JBL's over the period of a few days.

Peace, Josh

Did you use boiled Linseed oil? I hope so.

Did you follow the instructions on the can? You are supposed to dilute it with mineral spirits. Works for me everytime.

Tacky means you used too much, or didn't cut it with the mineral spirits. Rub a dub dub --

big jim, when i began oiling the corns i did as hdbr suggested, i followed a regular schedule until i dislocated my knee, after that i did not have much of a chance to do follow up on them, but i think dean is right, although hdbr never mentioned it mineral spirits sounds right, but that might make the whole mess smell mighty strong, especially around your younguns 12.gif

Thinning it with mineral spirits or alchohol should do the same as thinning polyurethane. Makes in soak in and penetrate better. With the linseed oil it won't be sealed as quickly as with the synthetic.

Marvel