Good (but inexpensive) tube amps for Cornwalls?

texas42

Hi,

Recently purchased some vintage Cornwalls (circa 1979). Have been following advice on how to upgrade them, which will be done one step at a time. But now, another question...

What is a good tube amp to use with the Cornwalls? I think I would prefer monoblocks. That way I can keep them close to the speakers and use long interconnects instead of long speaker runs).

I have looked with great interest at the Antique Sound Labs Wave 8s (only $200 a pair!). However, if there are some other gems out there to look for instead(used, classic, etc) that might offer more 'bang for the buck' and would have a synergistic fit with the Cornwalls, I'd certainly like to know.

I'm guessing many of you have tried a variety of tube amps with Klipsch and would be thankful for your insights. I've used solid state the past 25 years, (with dynamic cone and planar speakers) but now wanting to enjoy horns with tubes. I hear the right match can be magical. Thanks in advance for any tips..

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave, Check out this link:

http://www.idealinnovations.biz/

Like you, I've grown up with solid state and have wondered about all the tube amp hoopla on the forum. This Ideal Innovations company seems to be worth checking out. I found them a few months ago on ebay. They have different models of mono and stereo tube amps and take pride in their design features. Anyway, have a look and let me know what you think. I might make a move in that direction too. Take care. Hamish1.gif

Dave... look here too.

http://www.norh.com/products/se9/index.html

I have heard them this amp and others at an audio show. (Midwest Audiofest.) These would really be incredible with your Cornwalls or people looking for K horns Belles, La Scalas too.

Vey clean design, high end parts inside, very quiet, like Klipsch speakers. What goes in comes out warm, powerful, and just right for Klipsch speakers. I think it is 399.95 for the whole SET tube amp, not per side. This is within the grasp of all of us!

texas, the ideal innovations line has been discussed on the b-board before, you might want to do a search. but I remember that the general concensus was that there are better, proven alternatives out there at those prices. both new and vintage. the Norh seems like it might be a better alt. than the ideal but I have no experience with them. antique sound labs and Jolida are often mentioned as best options at this price point. the wave won't have enough kick for your speakers, try for an EL34 or EL84 based amp...regards, tony

----------------

On 6/26/2003 3:30:25 PM TEAM wrote:

TEXAS YOU DONT NEED A TUBE AMP FOR THE CORNWALLS IT WOULD BE OVERKILL . IF YOU BOUGHT SOME GOOD HIGH END SPEAKERS THEN THE TUBE AMP WILL BE NEEDED TO PUSH THEM

----------------

Huh? Please don't shout. Once again, huh?

Texas42,

Where in texas are you? I live in FOrt WOrth and have some wave 8's that I'm no longer using. I just bought a scott 222 and will be selling the wave's for cheap. I used them for about 6 months or so. They are the one with the cover and removable power cords.

As far as sound goes I really liked them, with the Cornwalls that I used to have, but I also watch alot of movies and they could not drive the cornwalls to spl's that I like when I watch movies. HOwever for music they really played nice. Imaging was good but not great, bass was OK, slam and presentation I think was great.

If you are in the FOrt worth or dallas are drop me a private message and I can bring them over for you to test drive.

Paul