House was robbed today

arthurs

"EAR...Where is all this anger coming from?"

The world is changing...and for the worst.More and more crime,lets not belive the hype.The world is rolling downhill

Any rapist or pimp should be castrated and his manhood removed,this is even better then death itself.Imagine a pimp forced to use a plastic tube! Funny

thanks for the quote valvoline-

innocence is good, but i'm glad that i've learned what i have. maybe not as carefree and happy as i would feel if i had a child-like innocence, but i can see trouble coming, and know how to get out of the way.

av.

God bless everyone for their swords into plowshares belief, however I have to say it its very naïve. Maron Horonzak, you asked, where is all this anger coming from? I say its not anger, but our primal instincts coming out. Its our survival mode thats simply kicking in. I wouldnt necessarily call it a bad thing, its kept us, as a species, alive all these thousands of years.

All the passive security measures mentioned so far are excellent, but there is nothing that evens the odds like a good ole Remington 870 pump action shotgun. Personally, I prefer shotguns for home defense. Pistols, especially the 9mms, have too high rate a velocity for it to be useful in the home. Theres a chance the bullet may pierce the wall and hit someone else. Also, a pistol round is a little too precise for use in a high-pressure situation where ones aim may not be as accurate, especially in limited visibility. A shotgun will spread the love with a higher probability of hitting its intended target. Sure, it may pepper your beautiful wall with little bbs, bone fragments and brain matter, but wont you feel better knowing that you protected your home and loved ones from unwanted intruders. In most cases, you wouldnt even have to use the gun on any assailant, just one loud ka chunk from the pump action and most thieves will be heading for the door at a double-time march.

To each his own I guess ...

You guys can trollop through the daisys all you want, Im several miles from the Korean DMZ, Im not about to put away my sword for a plowshare just yet.

RangerSix is correct about the shotgun. Of course, any barrel will seem the size of a canon when pointed at you.

Kevin,

State laws vary greatly, as you well know. In Tennessee, a carry permit allows one to carry, but the weapon MUST be concealed. Not so in Georgia, although prudence would dictate you keep it hidden. Making a stop at the convenience store? Leave the gun in the car, as they sell alchohol, and you can't have a gun inside. Know your limits, knowing your rights (many of which we lost woth the Patriot Act), knowing how to use any defensive weapon is of prime importance.

Tony,

I'm glad you didn't breath deep and pull the trigger. If the threat of danger is past, you can't chase after someone either. That is the job for law enforcement.

John,

I hate plastic guns, even if they shoot real bullets.

Cheers,

Marvel

Sorry to hear about your robbery but I'm glad your all safe.

I live in a not so good neighborhood that actually has been surpisingly quiet this summer (knock on Forte). The best protection that I have found is to get aquainted with your neighbors. It's was comforting to see a neighbor confront my dad earlier this spring when he was packing equipment into my truck for a trip up north. I was inside filling a couple of thermos's of coffee for our road trip at 4am when I heard my neighbor stop to ask this guy he didn't recognize, my dad, what he was doing with my truck.

That said, I also subscribe to protecting ones self, loved ones, and property. Although I'm to lazy to pump the 870. I prefer my trusty old 1100. Sure it's overly heavy to cary through corn fields, tried it a few times, but simple enough to be able to get a few shots off quickly.

I have also removed my music from my listening area. I would prefer that they take my equipment because that could be replaced more easily. Unfortunately CDs and DVDs are like candy to most would be robbers because they can easily be converted into cash at any used music store or pawn shop. For insurance purposes I keep a database of all of my out of print, rare, or collectable CD's and LP's with the amount that I paid and the hightest e-bay value of them. Just in case.

Hi Marvel,

Georgia's law has another oddity. You must use a holster. In Tennessee that isn't required.

Also, I checked this carefully and the TN Atty Gen issued his opinion confirmiing this, but for the purposes of concealed carry in TN, a beverage is not alcoholic unless the alcohol content is above 6%. Beer doesn't count! I haven't looked in a while, but 6 years ago, hint, hint, TN did not require concealment. I recommend against open carry because it makes you the first target of everybody, from the cops to shocked soccer moms.

Be a prepared gentleman and you'll make out well enough.

----------------

On 6/28/2003 12:43:11 PM John Albright wrote:

Hi Marvel,

Georgia's law has another oddity. You must use a holster.

----------------

I use to carry in Georgia and used two different rigs depending on the situation and weather. During the winter I wore a Galco Miami classic shoulder holster which allowed not only for the pistol but for two additional magazines on the opposite side. This helped balance the holster which itself was extremely comfortable to wear. No one would ever suspect you were wearing a shoulder holster if you had the Galco Miami classic on.

During the summer I used a clip on waist band holster and carried on my right hip. Concealed easily and was easy to get to if needed. No room for extra clips though which had to be carried in other places.

Now as far as the 'plastic pistol' statement someone made above I'm here to tell you that Glock makes the finest pistol made to date. IMHO. I own several of them in all calibers and they are the finest I've ever owned. And I have owned all makes and models including Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Colt and others. Pistols and revolvers.

Even had a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum with a 9.5 inch barrel and scope. I had the hammer and trigger jeweled and the trigger tension reduced to 3 pounds. Was a very heavy, beautiful monster for sure. Only problem I had wtih it was that every time I shot it the trigger would cut my pull finger. It was a powerful firearm. Eventually sold it and bought a Colt M16.

You can't destroy a Glock. Throw it in mud, dunk it in water, throw it as far as you can, run over it with a 18 wheeler and it will still shoot. Take it fully loaded with a round in the chamber and slam it on the pavement and it's well designed safeties (3 of them) will not allow it to fire.

Glocks are durable, have a great product for the money ratio and are extremely accurate.

When they first hit the market I didn't like them. Especially the way they looked. I was carrying a Colt 1911 full size .45 at the time and loved its' classic look. Not to mention its' potential for keeping one's family safe. After getting home from the hospital one night, exhausted, I accidently left the Colt .45 in my car. The only time I ever forgot to take it in. It just so happened that this was the night that some bastard decided to break into my car and steal everything in sight. My Colt was under my seat in a case but was not there the next morning. I had been robbed. And to answer a question from an above poster YES I FELT VIOLATED and was pissed off like no bodies business.

Insurance paid for most of my loss and when it came time to purchase another pistol I researched the choices and bought my first Glock. A model 19 9mm. I liked the fact that I could carry roughly 22 rounds on my person in the pistol and an extra clip. I also found out that it was very accurate which was a plus.

The only part of Glocks that are of a special polymer composite (not plastic) is the lower grip assembly. The upper slide and barrel assembly are made of the finest steel and machined to perfection. These are not cheap 'plastic' pistols despite some people's uninformed opinions.

As the Glock lined has matured they have added larger calibers which in my mind is a plus. I've gone to a larger caliber but it's still a Glock.

If you carry make certain that no one else knows about it. Don't advertise and don't try to impress people. It's not a toy and you're only asking for trouble. Always use good judgement. Don't put yourself in compromising situations or places. Take lessons from a qualified firearms instructor and always follows the rules of safety when around or handling any firearm.

------

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 KJV

------

Tony B.

Arthus,

I have a pronto remote that I am not using. I believe its the 2000 what do you say to $100 with the charger?

It is like new.

Scott

Thanks for the offer Scott, but I went out and got myself a new 3000. All programmed up and good to go. Appreciate you thinking of me though.