KLF 20, good subwoofer match?

mbisnett

i have klf30 mains, klf-c7 center, and rc3's surrounds...

i happened to find a velodyne ct-150 at a pawn shop for a great price....(the newer model is the cht-150)

absolutely wonderful sound with my klf-30's...(the 15" driver works well with my klf-30's 12" drivers)

perhaps the best feature is that you can set the crossover all the way down to 40 hz.... i have my system wired up so i can switch the sub from 5.1 home theatre to running of of the main channels in stereo mode.... with the crossover at 40 hz it really fills out the bottom of the klf-30's......

• 2 weeks later...

I have the following:

Mains: RF-7's

Center: RC-7

Surrounds: KLF-20's

Rear: RS-7

I used a KSW-12 at first, which I liked, but traded up to a KSW-15 which absolutely rocks. I have auditioned the RSW-10 & 15 and for the price difference I did not "bite".

I have recently added a B & W ASW1000 sub as a rear sub. I really do not know why I did this except for the "bug". It does nothing for music but does indeed add depth and "feeling" in the rear.

Placement is everything with a sub. With the correct placement I have seen 10" sub out perform poorly placed 15" subs.

----------------

On 7/11/2003 11:28:38 AM mbisnett wrote:

Room size about 2000 cu ft with one wall open to another room. Listening ratio 1/1. Spend about $500 to $1000 based on internet pricing.

----------------

In that price range, nothing will equal the bang for the buck SVS offers. The LF-10 is not a very reliable subwoofer and if you must go with a micro sub I'd stick to a Sunfire of Carver.

I know you didn't ask, but as others pointed out you should consider using a KLF-C7 instead of the RC-3. The RC-3 is a good center but it simply can't compare to the KLF-C7, plus it will timbre match your fronts.

I would suggest something like the SVS 25-31Pci($550) and using some of that subwoofer budget towards a KLF-C7, both items will make a dramatic difference. Even though the suggested SVS is their "lowest" model, don't be the least bit worried. It's capable of more clean output than many multi $K subwoofers.

If you're looking for even more bass consider stepping to the plus series. They're good for another 3-4db of clean output over the current CS/Pci woofers.

You could also contact places like acoustic-visons.com or rutledgaudiodesign.com with your budget and bass goals and they will custom build you subwoofers.

Do you have any size limitations? If you are looking to keep things small I can reccommend both the Carver Knight Shadow and the Earthquake MKIV12. I run these with my KLF 20's and the performance is outstanding. If size is a non-issue go for the RSW 15, the musical attributes will make you happy.

• 1 year later...

----------------

On 6/29/2003 7:34:04 AM minn_male42 wrote:

i have klf30 mains, klf-c7 center, and rc3's surrounds...

i happened to find a velodyne ct-150 at a pawn shop for a great price....(the newer model is the cht-150)

absolutely wonderful sound with my klf-30's...(the 15" driver works well with my klf-30's 12" drivers)

perhaps the best feature is that you can set the crossover all the way down to 40 hz.... i have my system wired up so i can switch the sub from 5.1 home theatre to running of of the main channels in stereo mode.... with the crossover at 40 hz it really fills out the bottom of the klf-30's......

----------------

Hi minmale

I'm in the same situation. How exactly did you wire that up. I would love to hear the sub pound with the 30's in stereo mode. I got the CHT-15 about a month ago. I have been quite happy with how it reproduces the real lows. But I have not had much luck with whatever frequency gives that solid punchy sort of base.

I would really love some tips on getting that sub set up perfectly. So far I placed the sub in my listening position and craawled around with my spl meter and a test tone playing.

The highest SPL was the rear corner of my room behind the bar (No room at the front of room). I tried 2 other spots since I thought behind the bar should be a "No No", but returned it there. Now I have been the way the sub faces I am not hearing any major differences based on where I face the port. There are just so many variables any advice would help.

Thanks

Jonathan

I have to also agree with the RSW-15.

My system:

Fronts: KLF-20's

Center: KLF-C7

Sub: RSW-15

The RSW-15 is more than enough sub with the KLF-20's. I like the way mine sounds. My 15W x 20L x 8H room is filled with beautiful sound! I'm in the market for a nice pair of KLF-10's for my rears.

Good luck,

Mike

• 4 years later...