A letter of sincerest gratitude (and a metamorphisis)

A letter of sincerest gratitude.........but first, please notice the screenname change (no longer ph-ishin').

Nineteen months and one thousand posts ago I stumbled upon this little corner of the internet we all know as the Klipsch forum, unconsciously wanting to scratch a decade-old itch. An innocent websearch for "klipsch cornwall" led me here, motivated from my days in the audio business over 10 years prior. In those days I pined for a pair of heritage klipsch instead of our products, and spent many nights partying after work at the service tech's house with his Cornwalls (as well as pi$$ing off his neighbors)........

Once an addict, always an addict. I never forgot those Cornwalls, and wondered if it was possible to find a pair of these used on the web. That first day on the forum I found a pair within driving distance, and was listening to them 24 hours later. How's that for results?

That material find was only the beginning - the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" - of what I was to discover here. I was not suprised to find lots of technical information and knowledgeable gearheads, but what was unique was the feel of this place. A feeling of welcome, permission to stumble, answers to your questions, and an obvious feeling of community. "A place where everybody knows your name"......as special as the speakers Paul Klipsch designed and built. In my opinion, this is more than coincidence.

It goes without saying that I've benefitted much from the information and members here, both intellectually and materially, but I feel a special note of thanks is due you - a "cyber-toast" if you will:

First, "the two Eds":

HornEd: It was your your KLF-30 theater system that provided the vision for my theater. Not only is it awesome, but it is ACHIEVEABLE to most if they want it. Ed's system encourages us all to THINK BIG and throw the usual self imposed size restrictions out the window, by virtue of six identical full size mains, to bring the big sound home.

Ed also has contributed much to the forum as a quality human being, as well as being an excellent writer who brings ideas to the page so well!

Edster00: My visit with Ed was a critical day for me as a klipsch owner. On that day in April I learned about the sweet side of tubes and SET - IOW "how the other half lives", and the importance of that "first watt". It made a big impression on my vision for a 2 channel system. This "tube virgin" learned why tubes are all the rage in the 2 channel arena, and what most solid state gear was missing. I also learned what SET could not do for me, which was very important to my wallet - but I am still intrigued as to what Ed's been cooking up since my last visit. I really look forward to hearing his 2 channel rig again.

While Ed's chosen path for 2 channel is a bit different from mine, we still share the Mc+ blood type as Macintosh owners!

Ed also sold me my Chorus speakers, and rates A+ to do business with.

DeanG, Triceratops, and m00n: A trilogy of ethics in business, and the embodiment of "committed sellers". I cannot possibly ask anything more than what these three did to make the speaker moving a success. You guys made the impossible possible. I also feel most fortunate and have sincerest gratitude for having these speakers. They are in caring and appreciative hands (my wife's hands included, who loves them as well).

Special thanks to Dean as well for the RF-7 demo and conversation, and for allowing the forum the use of that crate.

Tbabb: Another trusted seller and forum member, who has provided a special gift for some friends of mine, in the form of the KG4's. We did a real nice facelift on the tops and they look like new!!

Bev and Gilbert: They have provided a caring, adoptive home for a few extra Klipsch of ours.....thanks for making this easy!!

Mobile Homeless: Although we haven't seen much of him around here as of late, MH was very influential in my electronics and speaker choices. I acquired the Rega Planet based on his recommendation, as well as the alnico vintage Cornwalls. I especially enjoyed reading his breakdowns and images of different gear - very detailed and well thought out.

TBrennan: Special thanks to Tom for being a fund of information, and for talking me into buying those JBL 4638's!

Guy Landau: Much appreciation for the detailed info on the JBL stuff. GL answered numerous questions on some vintage JBL speakers, which almost led to a brand change in the 2 channel plan.

Allan Songer, Tom Mobley, Artto, Bigfnday: Special contributions were made by these members (and many more I am forgetting), but stuff like Artto's Dope From Hope printing and Tom, Allan, and Bigfnday's work on the pie slice logos are very much appreciated!

Allan also was very helpful with the preamp questions (and I'll get back to you about the tube complement!!), but a very helpful individual.

For those I disagree with occasionally: We can still have beers together, right?? Difference of opinion makes this board go round, and there's no accounting for personal taste, so thanks for agreeing to disagree!

To all the forum members for your contributions! Collectively the best audio forum on the web, HANDS DOWN.

To Klipsch for having us here, and allowing us our free opinion.

And of course, Paul Wilbur Klipsch. Thanks for your precious gifts you left us.

I'll be sharing some "lineups", photos (poor ones at first, til I finally get a digicam) and self reviews on my systems, and how I got there. Since I've not been on the boards much lately (lots of cleaning/rearranging, both system and otherwise - as well as planning for a best friend's wedding), some of you I've conversed with in the past are probably wondering just what the hello has been going on over here. I'm about to make up for some lost time.

That's a very noble gesture on your part for what you just wrote, and I'm sure that each and every Klipsch Forum member appreciates your kind words. This is exactly what makes these Klipsch Forums so great...its members are a sincere bunch of Klipsch fanatics that WILL go out of their way to help out other Klipschans with whatever problems, questions, and concerns they may have. We're one big happy Klipsch family...one that I'm damn proud to be a member of.

From one "McKlipsch" fan to another, my hat's off to you, Audible!

Way to go Audible! Really nice words for all. I have received a wealth of information from the folks on this BB to say the least. Inspiration for my current system layout came from Q-man and HornEd for sure. Go large and it will sound killer! I have helped others in acquiring speakers as well, I saved DVois a trip to MA by finding him a pair '67 Khorns in his virutally in his backyard in Maine, he also got hooked up with a Velodyne sub from the same individual. I always try and bring Klipsch finds to the BB for other members to consider and I always offer my stuff here first. I am really appreciative of the good people that put the Pie Slice logos together and made them available to us, Thanks! I now have my Brother in Law Gilbert hooked, and hooked up. I always look forward to my visits here. It just would not be right if I didn't thank the fantastic people at Klipsch for providing this resource for us to use. 9.gif

----------------

On 6/30/2003 11:07:30 AM Frzninvt wrote:

It just would not be right if I didn't thank the fantastic people at Klipsch for providing this resource for us to use.
9.gif

----------------

Which brings up a scary thought. What if Klipsch DID close the forums? Would you guys let Klipsch export their bulletin board to my servers so we could continue this wonderful community? It is a scary thought but it could happen. I have seen it happen before...

On a happier note, great "thank you" up there! We all owe SOMEONE here a thank you, I owe about 50 people!

"So DND is now audio nectar"

Yep.

To change the screenname, you first clear out the old one by going into the login area. You will see a box that says "click to clear screenname from computer". Check this.

Then go back into your profile area and change the info to the way you want it to look.

Be aware, though, this can have unintended consequences.......you might want to use your sig to clarify your change for members who are confused due to the change. I did clarify that here, but those who had not read this saw my posts in other areas and were left saying "whodat"??

I have noticed that when I meet the forum members in person, some cannot remember some of the screennames (such as my old one). The old one really doesn't apply as much anymore, and I've entered a new phase of forum membership and life (call it a mid-life-crisis or shift in gears???.....hehehe).

Thanks for the positive comments. I meant every word of it. Sometimes in life, we take things for granted - just making sure that does not happen here!