Craig, Mark need tube guru help

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan,

I decided to stick with the 7199s rather than switch to the 6U8s. One of my tube radio buds in the St. Louis antique radio club has a 299c that is still running 10 to 15 hours a week on the original 7199s. Fourty years and counting!

The 7199 that blew was a RCA - the one that is still fine is a Sovtek. I threw a second Sovtek in last night at 9pm and the amp has been going continuously since playing the classical music station. No hum, pops, buzzes or other untoward distortion. I will let everyone knows if it departs for tube heaven prior to being shut down tonight for shipment. I can't wait to hear a glorious 299c.

With a large supply of Sovtek 12au and ax7s, and the 7199s now both being Sovteks, I could pick upsome Sovtek 7591as and have a Russian to the core amp. Only problem is I would have to play Russian rock and roll music, which is truly horrendous. Does anyone know of a good Russian or Slavic rock band?16.gif

All kidding aside, the best way to gain tube amp rebuilding business on this site is to provide great service, maintain happy customer relations, and to give us heads up on good deals. One out of three probably will not cut it.

I work in a somewhat parallel field with similar needs where a majority of the workers are from out of town. I have a standing policy that any person who gets shorted or does not get a per diem check every week will immediately get cash from me for the amount they are shorted. After the first time I have to pony up, the workers are no longer concerned about their check arriving. I have never lost a worker from a site over pay in twenty years following this policy.

Just something to consider if you are looking to increase you restoration business volume - kill people with kindness and good deals rather than knowledge.1.gif

Thanks,

Dave

Whether someone wants to change there amp from 7199 to 6U8's really doesn't matter one way or the other. I myself just do not see the point of suggesting someone that has never soldered on a amp and would most likely have enough problems just recapping and doing basic rebuilding go to the trouble and confusion this would cause when you can just buy good 7199's with very little trouble ! My point in this thread is that Mr. HH Scott's recommendation was careless and could take a simple project for a absolute newbie and make it harder or overwhelming. All this to save a couple bucks and with no audible difference ?

As far as the 7199 being a better tube I'm sorry but it is ! By how much ? Just like everything else in this hobby its splitting hairs and really not worth the arguement.

Craig

I just read all 4 post by The Fisher guy and his writing style and type sure do remind me of someone else 2.gif I can't figure why someone with such electrical knowledge and expereince would hire someone else to work on there amps ......... interesting

I agree with the suggestion that Craig and HHScottexpert take it outside !

It has gotten to the point that you two sound like a pair of hookers arguing about who has the best looking butt. Neither of you owns this corner. If I have a question about tube amps I welcome responses from either or both of you.

I don't give a Tinker's Damn about your theoretical differences. Your mutual hysteria suggests that neither of you feels totally confident regarding your abilities and have turned your technical differences into a personal issue.

I am a computer technician and am confident enough regarding my knowledge and skills to accept that on occasion someone else might be right in questioning my diagnosis of a problem with a PC or an HP LaserJet. Typically I am correct and the other tech will have learned a thing or two - Astonishing as it may appear there have been occasions where the other smarta$$ ( errumm tech) has been right and I have been able to add to my store of knowledge.

Take It Outside Boys ! - You are starting to look like a pair of Yo Yo's.

The bickering may be annoying, but somewhat understandable. There is some history between these two.

Now, in spite of this, there is some damn good info in these threads. Taking it outside just robs us.

Why not just eat the meat and spit out the bones?

Blah blah blah there was no arguement here and the only thing dragging this subject on is people like you whining about it Lynnm !! How many million times have there been very heated discussions on this forum about Wire alone ?? How about SS versus Tubes ?? Vinyl versus digital ? I could go on and on !

Craig

Back to the subject at hand. I just did some quick looking at the tube data on 7199 and 6U8's. I do not see how anyone can say they are identical except for pin out. There is almost nothing that is Identical about these 2 tubes .

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=7199

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6U8

Hey guys,

not trying to goad anyone, but I just shut down the 299C after 45 hours of continuous operation, and neither of the Sovtek 7199s headed south of the border. I threw on Boston's first album and enjoyed "More than a Feeling" in its entirety. Even after close to thirty years, it can still get the sludge pounding through the arteries.

Now powered down, and dispatched to the frozen northern tundra for tender ministrations by the voodoo electronics alchemist1.gif

It will be a long purgatory running on the Crown and Nak, but I'll be fired up when the 299 gets back3.gif

Ciao

Dave

Dean,

We didn't want to go to far over your head 1.gif

Dave,

I really think a few people at the Scott forum received part of a bad batch because I have never had a problem with the Sovtek 7199. I also think back when these Russian companies were breaking into the open market there quality control was pretty bad and has improved a ton since. The Sovtek 5AR4 has proven this to me.

Craig