Onkyo 701 vs Denon 3803

Thors1982

i dont know the similarities between the 701 and the 797? my son has the 797 for his gaming, and this is probably the greates reason i am not a fan of denon recievers, the onkyo just beats it up sonically, the denon line just has always sounded muddy compared to others in thier class, IN MY OPINION, lots of bells and whistles, not enough time spent in audio output12.gif

Keeping in mind this was just marksdad's personal opinion, I would like to share my humble opinion as well which happens to be exact opposite of marks': I prefer both Denon and Harmon Kardon to Onkyo. I auditioned a few Onkyo and Integras and while they were good performers, I eventually gave preference to the warmth and richness of sound of Denon and HK line.

Also, I do not quite understand why Mark accused Denon of putting too many bells and whistles in their product??? I would say Denon has traditionally been quite conservative. Look at Pioneer product line for example - that's where you will find b&w. Denon keeps just the necessary features onboard, and even OSD to much of my dismay does not show any nice logos and bright muslti-colored submenus. It is very basic but functional. Bottom line: I am happy that I eventually chose Denon's AVR3803 which in combination with Klipsch reference speakers creates a very rich detailed sound stage.

i guess it is all in the ears of the beholder, i have had denon, and onkyo at the same time did not like the denon, and when i was having trouble with my rotel gear i substutited some denon gear as loaner, until rotel did some fixes and in the system the denon aspect just sounded flat, from rotel to denon, big difference! maybe the so called "bright" aspect of onkyos appealed to me, and when i replaced the rotel gear i did head to head from the B&W gear to the 5803 and again the denon just lacked, and that along with a few other reasons is my reason for saying the statement about bells and whistles, it had plenty, more than my 507, but it lacked slam, headroom, soundstage, it was good, but not as good. again in class. but like i said the ears have to be satisfied.12.gif

I'm in the same boat i tried the onkyo 601. it was a pretty nice unit but did not keep up with my sony db 840. I was told that sony was junk but my sony walked all over that onkyo and ways quite a bit more than the onkyo. with those new onkyos you get awesome video switching. It seemed mayby a bit cleaner that my sony but its hard to tell because my sony has so much more balls and good bass. Another thing the onkyo you have to just about crank it to hear it. I did try and adjust the gain for each channel. When i cranked it it played louder quicker but it wasn't as clean as the sony then. That's my opinion i still havent found one myself i like my music loud. One last thing speaker placement is critical you can have the best stuff in the world but if that isn't on it is a waste. Make sure you measure your receiver to so it will fit where you want it. And if you want to wire some speaker outdoors make sure you get one with a and b mains. All in all the onkyo was a nice unit and had a good clean sound. I just like my music loud now.

My vote would be Denon, but of course I'm biased. I will tell you my brother just picked up the Denon 3803 last night and we hooked it up together and I noticed some neat little improvements over the 3802. For starters the remote on the 3803 is considerably better than the 3802.

Let us know what you decide ...

From my experience,ANYONE who says Onkyo compares with Denon needs to check their hearing.There is no comparison in sound,Onkyo avr's are well known for their sterile,cold,lifeless sound,I have owned three,656,777,898 all are not even in the same sonic league as Denon.If you think Denon has bells and whistles you might be thinkin of blank,Denon has always been a leader in the conservative avr look.The Denon has it inside.I don't care who buys what,but to say the Onk sounds even close to the Denon is proof of severe hearing damage.

I compared the equal priced H&K and onkyo recievers at circuit city and the H&K was by far and away the better reciever. Played louder and cleaner than the onkyo. Never done a head to head with onkyo and denon, but I would definately lean away from onkyo

I found a great deal on the 701 I couldn't pass up so I jumped on it. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I gave it a week to see if the dry, lifeless sound would ever open up my RF-3s. By day 5 I couldn't take it any longer so I gave it away as a xmas present and went and bought the 3803. IMHO you can't find a better sound per price value of the 3803 anywhere short of going for separates!

Onkyo has always been a lower-priced entry type of "hi-fi" product. They actually did have very good tuners in their receivers. But their sound has always been 'tizzy' to me. Overly bright & sizzly, siblant. Denon has dealt primarily with the "mid-fi" range and up.