WTB: OO heresy II's

jdm56

James,

Are they as rare as the Belles in OO? If you're halfway decent with woodworking tools, you could buy a pair in any finish (even trashed), and build your own boxes.

fini

James,

I just bought a set of Heresy IIs with risers in oiled oak from Phoenix, Arizona. I won't be interested in selling, but you could try to contact the seller to see if he has another set or know someone who has similar.

Also, Frzninvt has most everything in oiled oak; he might be a good locator source as well. The easiest of all would be to get the oak veneer and refinish a good set of cosmetically challenged HIIs yourself. You will spend less time and money and have total control over how the Heresys look.

Good luck hunting!

Dave

fini & Dave,

That just about describes my woodworking ability; "halfway decent".8.gif The heresy II should not be near as rare in oak oil as belles, though. I'm hoping to find some on ebay within driving distance, or maybe score a trade (doubtful) here.

James,

there is a pair of black satin for sale in St. Louis. You can talk to Klipsch, or get some oak veneer from the hundreds of hardwood suppliers on the way from Nevada to St. Louis, and drop them off at one of the four Amish communities on the way home. They will be done in no more than two days.

Scenario two - do everything the same on the way to St. Louis. If you are cheap, find an Industrial Arts teacher in Nevada(the high school teachers are mostly all on summer break and many could use the additional $)or just about any reputable furniture refinishing place(more $$ and time than the first two.)

Putting new veneer on the speakers, especially Heresys, is like wrapping a Christmas present. It's fairly easy, never use black, and no matter how good you do it, your wife can STILL do it twice as good in half the time. Seriously, that is where the veneering talent lies in the family, and my friend's Khorns look great with us guys doing them.

9.gif

Dave

This is one reason I bailed out of the OO finishes and went to walnut. Walnut also allows one to consider the alnico vintages, as walnut was consistently offered on the Heritage models through the years.

One highly stressful attempt at purchasing an OO Belle pair was the last straw. Once I made the decision to switch to walnut, all the necessary models were located very quickly, and was simply a matter of selling/swapping to get the necessary speakers for the systems.

As much as I like the OO finishes, I certainly do not envy anyone who is trying to match them up with other OO. Forte and Chorus seem more common, but the Heresy and Belle don't show up very often.

I seem to remember one of the webmeisters (or maybe HDBR) saying that the decision to discontinue the oil finishes had more to do with EPA/DNR issues than anything else. I presume the lacquer finishes make for a cleaner build.

As far as my search for OO speakers, I gave up my quest for a used belle and ended up buying new. And then waiting nearly a year for that! I do see a lot of OO heresys on ebay, though. I need to check for those on Audiogone, too. Thanks for the info.