• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It's cheaper if you just stick cotton in your ears."

Boy I hope it doesn't resort to that! Oh the pain! 14.gif

Tom

I'm reframing from commenting until I have all my ducks in a row. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, do to 20 year old electronics in the signal path, or maybe just a crappy circuit design. Lets put some quality current stuff in and hopefully get resolution and magic back!1.gif

Tom

Tom, I know exactly what you are hearing over there. You will have to work your arse off to get the Scalas to where you will really like them.

Rope caulk those lenses ASAP, get Deflex inside that boom bin, and start working on those ALKs.

Yep, round and round it goes -- starting from where the lens is attached to the driver, all the way to the front of the lens where it meets the motorboard. Pack it down hard, squeezing it with your hands and fingers. I kept a little cup of water next to me while I was doing it to keep my fingers and hands moist -- it will stop the stuff from sticking to you.

The Type A is supposed to sound good. Of course, it sounds good to those who are used to, and enjoy the sound of a midrange horn. To the rest of us, who don't like having the midrange drilling a hole in our heads -- the option of being able to dial down the squawker is a real plus.

The LaScala has no grill cloth. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. That driver is beamy as hell. Some cloth will help with that. Get yourself some velcro strips with the adhesive back. If you take your time you can make it look nice. Fold over the edges of the cloth once you get it sized, and have your wife sew it. Attach the velcro and ta-da!

Ditto with what DeanG notes. I rope caulked both the tweeter and mid-horn with excellent results. I eventually replaced the stock mid-horn and drover with Altec 806A/511B horn (eargasm!)

The woofer basket can be caulked too. The improvement here was subtle, but noticable.

I also went with the ALK crossover which allowed me to get my Khorns sounding great!

Tom,

You do not need new crossover's, you do not need to rope caulk your Mids and tweets why muffle the sound. You need to slow down and get used to hearing all the music !! The sound between the Lascalas and the RF-3 is very different and if you let it all settle in your thoughts will change drastically. The La Scalas are very live sounding !! My La Scalas are 100% stock top to bottom all klipsch parts and no rope caulk I find the RF-3's compeltely lifeless in comparison. You really have a set of horn speakers now give them a chance to settle in. By the way what crossovers are in your La Scalas.

Craig

Tom,

I posted a reply here earlier on, but suppose the computer hiccupped because it doesn't show up.

To my ears, I was amazed at the difference that the ALK crossovers made. Al built a pair for my La Scala buildup project. I had one of the new La Scala's finished first, so I hooked it up on one channel and the stock 1977 (AA) on the other. The ALK's made the La Scala come to life. I knew the ALK's would be good, but I didn't really expect to hear as much as the reviews I'd read. A to B, even I could tell. I had always thought I'd damp the horns, but I've just never gotten around to it. Maybe someday out of simple curiousity, but so far haven't felt much of a need for it.

A further improvement was adding the Njoe Tjoebs CD as a source. That improvement was almost as significant as the ALK's.

Regards,

Dee

p.s. it seems to me that on networks he has built, Al will take them back if the user is unsatisfied.

Craig,

I have the AL networks in there. I can tell you what is missing is the microdynamics, better resolution, more etch. The reference line exhibits more refinement in the music over all.

The one thing the La Scalas do great is big music, no doubt. Give me the refinement of the reference line with that characteristic and I'll be hooked for life.

Tom

Well maybe you do need some Xovers 1.gif Although my findings are comepletely different then Gary. I'm running AA with the diodes removed and love them. I find detail galore which is what I would call microdynamics. I also tried ALK's much with the same procedure as Gary and heard very little difference at all and at the time I was using Theater version AL networks you should see them they have like 20 total parts count ! I'm not saying that ALK's are bad in anyway and will most likely be your best choice because finding type A or AA will be hard and expensive also. The ALK's also have a great tweak factor with the squaker being adjustable.

Also have you played with placement ? The La Scala is not going to want the same placement as your RF-3 ?

Craig

Placement, yes I did the slow tow in proceedure, I have a sound stage, but it lacks that transparency, you know when the speakers disappear. One thing I did yesterday that got me a little closer to MY reference sound was put the Nordost speaker cables into the signal path. Not trying to intice a debate here, but I can tell you it took some of the smearing out of the music, and the mids did smoothen out. Phycological or not, who cares it sounds better. I want my magic back.

My suspicion is the AL networks are the culprits here. Rewiring the speakers wouldn't hurt either.

Tom

Tom,

Placement is not completely tow in. distance from the back , side walls and distance apart all play a roll. What are they setup like right now how far away is your sweet spot ? email me a shot of the entire setup when you get a chance.

Craig