AnalOg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Concrete walls!! Yikes!!

Yes, you need to toe-in the speakers. I found that the horns firing direct at the listening position to be the best. But you need some walls! I can't tell what the dimensions of your basement are, but the LS probably are having a tough time "loading" the room. It would really be tough to evaluate a speaker in the current set-up.

I am situated in one corner of the basement. to the right is a actual wall to the left is a fake wall, made from 6 foot folding tables. the over all size of the basement is about 1700 sg ft.

If I didn't get good sound before, I wouldbe questioning this inviorement. The RF3II's sounding nice!

Tom

If you toe in your la scalas completely towards your ears, chances are you will have holes in your head in no time.

What I did with my La Scalas was rather radical: i replaced the midrange horns with smooth, refined, neutral and open sounding EV SM120A. Do that and you'll wonder why you ever bothered with RF3. Believe me, to me the only "bad" component in the heritage line is the K400 horn. Way too "beamy". It screams at your head if toed in towards you, and sounds rather muffled and lacking detail.

Just put them on the top if you don't wanna mess with the nice look of your scalas (mine were the industrial split version so I just had to remove the top bin).

I actually told Tom to start with a extreme Toe in and have them fire directly in front of his sweet spot and then slowly toe them out until improvements stop and then move them back in a hair. Mine are pointed just outside my ears but I near field listen so Tom's setup may require more or less toe in. The Lascala is no different then a Khorn which is always 45 degree's toed in.

If you toe in your la scalas completely towards your ears, chances are you will have holes in your head in no time.

What a complete crock of bull !!

Well, actually that's a good idea. You have the luxury of that option. Plus, the extreme 45 degree toe in gives you full room coverage with the least amount of reflection.

I agree with others here, I wouldn't spend a dime on anymore system stuff until you hang some drywall and get some acoustic room treatment going (acoustic foam along the side walls next to the Scalas). ALKs, Type A's, whatever -- will be a waste of money until you get the room set up properly for audio.

You better hope Artto doesn't see that room, he might call for a lynch mob. 9.gif

Yes...bare concrete walls ......theres half of yer problem..room reflections can play a BIG part of the overall sound. Fur strips ,and drywall...build a wall to the left, then some absorbent material to dampen the reflections...not too much though, that will cut down the harshness of the mids,and disperse the highs a little more to smoothen out your soundstage. The walls were figured into the design of the speaker ...As for the toe in..you shouldnt need 45 degrees with the distance to the position the picture was taken. Also if you could seperate them another 3 feet, with the adjustments above, that should give you a grade #1 sounding system. Those speakers were made for filling a large area...take advantage of it....keep us posted....(pun intended)...gc

Well I all for him fixing up his room. But his area is just like mine but I listen near field in a nice 9 foot triangle. The lascalas are 9' apart and each speaker is exactly 9' from my ears and point almost dead at my ears ! The sound is incredible ! Yup cement walls , Heat ducts , open rafters. I would fix it up but this basement is 50+ years old and just not worth it ! 4 years and I'm off to greener pastures anyway.

Craig

It's not what I would call deep bass, more like big bass, its got a unigue punch to it that you can feel in your chest (cool), but on the loose side. The RF's have a solid, tighter bass, it goes a tad deeper. The La Scalas make up for that in the BIG dept.

With the toeing in I like what I'm hearing, this is the sound that I'm looking for, it's still missing that etch, maybe the more pronounced & looser bass is taking a bit of that away. I'll listen and enjoy for now. I'm happy again. I like to thank you all for your input, in getting me on the right path. You can't pay enogh for the knowledge thats on this forum.1.gif

Tom

Dean,

I saw your post after I submitted mine. Thats too funny, my wife thinks I'm nuts for laughing at the computer.

Seriously, the sound I get in the basement is incredible, no joke. The room is so big that it doesn't overload, allows you to go over 100dbs with good recordings with no pain. I think the cement walls contribute to the great bass response I get. I wish I could give you factual proof of my findings, this is all speculation. All I know is my basement system acoustically sounds better than my system in the family room.

Tom

I'ze jist havin some fun.

You know what? Anything is possible in this crazy hobby of ours.

It's just hard to understand. My brother-in-law has an unfinished basement, sort of set up like a rec room. You get a couple of kids down there, a little music going, and some fussball -- and after 10 minutes I've had enough. The room is THAT live.

What happens when you do the hand clap test down there?

i got an idea i would like you to try...go to wal-mart and get 1 or 1 1/2 inch grippers and put one on each bottm corner and one in center.then roll up the carpet on other end of room to expose the floor.you will have to pry those sliders off bottom of Scala.This was Andys idea to me and it does work...really hooks up the Scalas...i think the one in the center does help to....if nothing else its cheap to try,,,,,there are a lot of posts on this idea..just click on my profile and look at last ten posts.....rick2.gif