Help...need $500 subwoofer

dnelsenrn

Need the sub to go with KLF10's and KLF-C7. My budget only allows for $500.

Big WAF factor here (I am the wife)....please do not suggest SVS or HSU. Choices include Paradigm, Velodyne, Mirage, and B&W. I am so lost and have been listening, but feel the stores ideal setup cannot compare to the real home environment. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Probably 90% music (any other than RAP) and 10% HT.

dnelsenrn ,

Lots of members, have deverse views on their perfect sub........

Good Luck........with new Klipsch sub coming on the market, the older ones may be the way to go.......(you didn't say, no to Klisch did you?).........

WAF points to Sunfire,bests all the contenders you listed.Well not exactly SUnfire but Carver.

To be accurate the Carver Knight Shadow sub,you should find one around $500-600,its a compact 11" cube with a very long throw woofer powered by Carver's patented transformerless amp.It has very good power to 25Hz.

At this price and this size you simply CANNOT do better.No B&W,Paradigm and even Parabose or DIY Chainsaw Inc do not make a sub this size for this little money with so much performance.

And trust me I tried them all,ALL.And have many subs as a good few here know.

Bill H.,

HELLO

I think you can clearly read "please do not suggest SVS or HSU"

Is there a certain size limit you can't go past or is it just the tube the design you can't cope with?

If it's both and you're aiming for the smallest footprint possible, then TheEars recommendation is the best one. If it's just the tube design and you can't deal with a slightly larger box, I'd look into Infinity IL120s(you can find cheap refurbs from ebay seller: harmanaudio), or the Adire Audio Rava.

The Carver Kinght Shadow slaughters any KSW where deep bass is desired.It sounds much better,no port coloration(all KSW subs are BOOMY,anyone can hear this).

The Carver KS is a sealed design,massive stroke woofer in a sturdy cabinet = no audible coloration

Plus the KS is a proven design,Bob Carver is the originator of the true compact subwoofer.All others are copycats.Weak copycats,at least they could improve while at it.

Its the tube design i do not like. I also do not like the rough finish on the HSU. Klipsch is not a consideration as I have heard the subs in my price range are not all that good. Looking for some advice on easily available subs. Thanks

Sealed subs tend to have better sound quality but they usually offer decreased low bass performance if no eq is used to boost the low end. Using some sort of eq puts greater demand on the woofer and amplifier as well.

Hey Ear,

What's your opinion on how the Carver KS compares to the Sunfire Jr or Super Jr?

As was said,sealed subs are clean(if cabinet is very solid).Almost all subs use EQ to help linearity over the freq. range they claim to cover.Large tuned(ported)subs do not need any EQ.

Frankie,

The KS has 2-3dB more output at 30Hz when compared to the Super Junior.A very impressive feat,when you look at the price.And the KS matches better with smaller monitors,its a great sub for even larger speakers.

Klipsch has a new line of subs just now coming to market. Double the amp power of the previous models, better drivers and ingenious new porting techniques mean much improved performance. The RW-10 is $500. You should check it out.

The RSW series continues as our premier line of subs in the $1000 and up range.

Here's the HT system I am in the process of putting together:

Front- KG4

Center- RC-3II

Surround- RS-3II

As for the electronics, I'm leaning toward either a Denon 1803 or a Yamaha RX-V620.

What subwoofer in the $500 price range would you suggest? The KSW-12 looks like a good value, but the Hsu VTF-2 has received several strong endorsements. Any advice would be appreciated!

the ksw-12 is a good, solid sub. u would have to actually try to bottom it out (of course non-reference levels) - solid sub with minimal port noise at normal listening levels. however, it can be overly boomy at times - and not too musical at all because of that. for ht, it is quite excellent.

the vtf2 has received many praises. some say it is one of the best subs they have heard - of course until they heard the vtf3. i have personally never heard it - so i am only giving you handed-down information.

however, i would recommend getting an svs entry level sub - for 550 - the 25-31 pci would be the best of the crop. it goes much lower than either subs and is quick enough to blend in well with music.

oh, before i forget - you may want to take a look at the infinity il120 subs/entratwo subs - they are quite musical and although they do not go as low as the svs pci entry - they wont break the bank at only 300 each (u could almost get two if you really wanted!9.gif ).

BUT - in my book - if i had 500 to spend, i would definitely bite the bullet and purchse the svs pci 25-31 - no ifs, ands, or but.