Kenwood KD-500 turntable & Infinity Black Widow tonearm

fini

Yesterday I picked up a Kenwood KD-500 turntable with an Infinity Black Widow tonearm. I spent a little time this morning cleaning the table, and thought I'd post a couple of shots. It's got an Audio Technica AT96E cartridge installed, but I think I'll use the Shure V15 when I get the replacement stylus from Barb (at Shure). I haven't tried it out at home, yet. You'll notice the previous owner stuck little blobs of a substance on the tonearm assembly (I guess for vibration control?). There is also some of this material on the underside of the platter (obviously for balance).

kenkd-500.jpg

infbw.jpg

fini

Looks very nice Fini. Are you skilled in the area of TT setup? That looks like it might be trickier than most. If it were mine, I'd take it to my local vintage repair shop and have a complete setup done. It's pretty cheap. But that's me. All I trust myself to do is align the cartridge. Good luck and keep us posted.

Doug,

I've heard about the jitter bug, and will get some vintage LPs to test. Kind of like the "Grado dance." Yeah, I'll take some Bufferin, if it's too much of a headache.

Gary,

I found a site (http://www.nakedresource.com/) that has the manual for this tonearm, along with many other TT related documents. They're down for repair until the 14th. I'll get the manual and see how difficult it might be. I do have awful big fingers...

fini

What I found difficult while aligning the cartridge was being able to see around that big headshell on the technics. I even have awful skinny fingers! The overhang guide that came with my TT was a big help. Doesn't look like you'll have that problem. That's the skinniest tonearm I've ever seen!

I had one of those arms years ago on a Luxman direct drive table (PD121?). I experienced a lot of resonance and feedback problems as well as bearing jitter (which is probably why the previous owner put some extra weight on yours). Sold them both. I think I was using a Sonus Blue Label at the time. Good luck

I tried out the turntable as-is (a risky proposition, at best), and it didn't sound so good. Of course I won't be able to accurately judge this set-up until it's properly dialed-in. I was hearing a scratchiness, along with the vocals (not surface noise), almost like a kind of "clipping" (this was at low volumes: it was not clipping). It could be a number of things, given the situation. Does this ring a bell? I'm hoping it's solved by proper set-up and a new stylus. I will keep in touch.

fini

I've had a "Black Widow" for some time, and it is capable of really fine performance, but only with the right cartridge. It needs a very high compliance, low mass mm pick-up. The moving coils I tried in mine were just too stiff - they would make the whole arm tremble and, on some records - the Kunzel 1812 Overture for instance - the cannon shots would toss the cartridge right off the record surface. In addition, the Ortofon MC-20, actually made the end of the arm sag visibly from the weight.

I got the best results from the late, lamented Grace F9-E, although the Ortofons designed for the arm weren't bad, either.

The overhang is adjusted from the back - you loosen the collar at the base of the arm and slide it back and forth in the oval cutout - just like an SME.

The arm is supposed to rattle a bit on its bearings. It's a knife edge, just like the SMEs of the time used. This bothers some people, but, once it had the right cartridge in it, it wasn't much of a problem.

There is a small set screw on the base of the arm as well for height adjustment. Mine was happiest with the back of the arm just a little bit higher than the front - but you'll have to adjust that by ear.

These came in two versions - an aluminum shaft and later, a carbon fiber shaft. The carbon ones had a cap on the end of the arm tube.

Be very careful with this arm. The wires are very fragile and prone to breaking. In fact, the whole arm is very fragile and prone to breaking. I know about this first hand. It doesn't take much to snap it off.

If you're careful, and play into its strenghts, the Black Widow can do quite well for you.

I would've assumed from the looks that your Shure V15 might be too much mass for this slender tonearm (especially with such a tiny headshell), but I'm most likely wrong. The stylus on the audio-technica is probably worn out, resulting in the poor sound quality, and/or the anti-skating adjustment is way off for the installed cartridge (just a guess). It'll be a whole different ball of wax when you receive your new replacement stylus from Shure...hope it works well with the Black Widow.

I wonder if those little blobs is "Blu Tack", tacky resistive damping compound used for absorbing vibrations (recommended as coupling between speakers and stands). Can be pressed into any shape, like "Silly Putty".

This is a very interesting thread.

In 1976, I purchased new a Kenwood KD-500 and I still have it!

I have the English Mayware Formula 4 arm installed, which is a very low-mass arm, along with the Sonus Blue cartridge.

I have been looking to upgrade the cartridge, but I am intimidated so far, in trying to set up the new cartridge with this arm. I was given several recommendations on cartridges--have not decided yet.

When I had a Dual TT setup (actually a 1229), I used the Shure V-15 Type 3, and was quite happy with the Type 3's performance.

If anyone can dig up anything on the Formula 4 arm, I'd be very happy!

The Kenwood itself is a good piece, in spite of the critics on this board, who believe that belt -drive is the holy grail of TTs.

Hey Vahorns, you wouldn't have a manual for the k500 would you? I just purchased one from Audiogon and it is not working properly. It has an SME tone arm that I cannot get adjusted to meet with the records. Can't seem to weight it properly. Also not sure which row you line up with the light to play 33's. On my old turntable you could get the table to hold steady to the light, this one seems to always wonder. Let me know how yours sound when you get them setup.

----------------

On 7/15/2003 2:58:02 PM Vahorns wrote:

This is a very interesting thread.

In 1976, I purchased new a Kenwood KD-500 and I still have it!

I have the English Mayware Formula 4 arm installed, which is a very low-mass arm, along with the Sonus Blue cartridge.

I have been looking to upgrade the cartridge, but I am intimidated so far, in trying to set up the new cartridge with this arm. I was given several recommendations on cartridges--have not decided yet.

When I had a Dual TT setup (actually a 1229), I used the Shure V-15 Type 3, and was quite happy with the Type 3's performance.

If anyone can dig up anything on the Formula 4 arm, I'd be very happy!

The Kenwood itself is a good piece, in spite of the critics on this board, who believe that belt -drive is the holy grail of TTs.

----------------

Vahorns,

If you decide on a new shure V15V, shoot me an email. I can help you out on both the purchase and the setup.

----------------

On 7/16/2003 8:36:51 AM tillmbil wrote:

Hey Vahorns, you wouldn't have a manual for the k500 would you? I just purchased one from Audiogon and it is not working properly. It has an SME tone arm that I cannot get adjusted to meet with the records. Can't seem to weight it properly. Also not sure which row you line up with the light to play 33's. On my old turntable you could get the table to hold steady to the light, this one seems to always wonder. Let me know how yours sound when you get them setup.

----------------

33-1_3.JPG

Third from the top, at 60 HZ. It's hard to see the bottom row (blends in with the base). I would also be interested in a copy of the manual (as I am in the manual for the Black Widow). Can't get too much info, you know!

fini

• 4 years later...

Bet you didn't think somebody would reply to your post some 5 years later! I, too, had that same set-up, except used a Denon DL103. I don't remember any feedback or resonance issues, but the TT is coming back into my possession after some 24 years (no worse for wear, either!). Wondering if you could describe (if you remember) the specific sound effects from these problems. I will be purchasing a new cartridge so am gathering as much info as possible. Thanks for any help

• 7 months later...

Hey just found this old thread I just set up a black widow on a thorens td 125 mk II. It came with a ortofon lm 20 so i checked the local hi fi shop and they had a new needle for it now call the om 20 anyway Just playing the first few records not bad at all. very quite back ground nice detail and no feed back when cranked. It seems there are not a lot of modern choice for this arm, to bad the shure v15 and stanton 881s are no longer made.