K-77-M

2 weeks ago my last purchase was 2 K-77-M tweeters!

My K-horns have K-77-M alinco, these are mud!

Should i swap them out or just sell the Muds?

If anyone needs tweeters ill more than likely sell the K-77-Ms, i paid $120.00 plus shipping making it $131.00!

E-mail me

Regards Jim

The voice coil does not pass through the magnet but through the TOP PLATE. & cuts across FLUX in gap. If any one says they can hear between magnet types they are a bunch of MORANS. Consistant flux strength in the gap & keeping voice coil from heating. could cause magnet to weaken if abused.

LOL!!!

Oh Jim,

The K-77-Ms are not AlNiCo. Your picture is of the -M "mud" version. What year are your horns? The switch to the K-77-M was in '78 or '79 or so. The difference in about 3 dB above 10 or 12 kHz.

Jim, John, Maron,

Just wanted to check out a couple of things to make sure I'm tracking on this discussion.

Jim, you replaced the older alinco K-77's with the K-77-M (w/square ceramic magnet) and found them to be mud? Just unsatisfactory? That's interesting. I've got some stock of both and have been using them interchangeably w/o alot of A/B comparison, pretty much assuming I couldn't hear a difference.

Is there the thought here that this particular pair of K77M's have been driven so hard they don't sound right, but have not completely failed? The price Jim paid was, it seems to me, better than they sometimes sell for on Ebay.

Appreciate your feedback on this.

best regards,

Dee

I have a business relationship with a place that can re-magnetize alnico magnets. Alnico magnets supposedly lose a small amount of strength every year or can lose a lot by being dropped. I have never had them re-magnetize any of them for me, but the service was offered. That being said, the question might be "Do you risk losing more magnetism than you gain by handling in shipping?"

Bob

bcrites@cswnet.com