Cornwall II vs. Chorus II--shootout in CT

jhawk92

Yeah, I have been very pleased with the AQ Corals. I did a very short A/B comparison with the Vipers, had another identical CD player to mine, and was playing the same CD's in both, cued to the same song. While there was a difference between the two, I didn't have enough time to really see which I liked better. Then again, as the A/B/X test taught us in Indy, I don't know that I'd be able to pick one vs. the other.

I'm kinda hoping that with the new AQ stuff coming out, people will want to upgrade and I could pick up some of the older ones cheap. I'll need another pair to hook my CD player up to my Scott. I am in the market for another CD so I can have a dedicated 2-ch system, but I want to get the Scott working first. Which, BTW, is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!!! Can't wait to see it, but it will take a while to play, since all the audio gear is torn down thanks to carpet cleaners. Maybe sometime next week I'll get it all back together and then watch out!

G3-

Congrats on your purchase. I know you will love them. What will you be using for amplifiers? Inquiring minds want to know.

----------------

Thanks! My amps are the Aurora/Amity, designed by Lynn Olson. You can see them (at least what they looked like when I first completed them) at:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/triode1.html

The amps started out as Auroras. The Aurora includes a built-in line stage. Input goes through a S&B TX-102 transformer volume control, L63 (British 6J5G) driving a Soweter 9100J phase-splitting interstage transformer, a pair of ECC99 halves in push-pull used as a driver stage, Lundahl LL1635 interstage transformer, VV302B output tubes, and a Peerless S-240-A output transformer (modern custom re-creation by MagneQuest, with M4/nickel pinstripe core). The tube complement is different than it was when the picture was taken. You can click on the picture to see a schematic.

I have since added an "Amity bypass" mode, which I am using currently. The Amity doesn't use the built-in line stage. The input goes through a Lundahl LL1676 phase-splitting input transformer, directly to the grids of the ECC99. I have found that my "Espressivo" line stage outperforms the built-in L63 line stage.

The Espressivo can be seen at:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/gary/index.html

The Amity circuit can be seen at:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/IT-Triode-Amp.gif

Gary Dahl

Ok one more time on Cornwall models over they Years.

Maybe we should rename all of them to...

. Cornwall with rear port vertical horns 1959-60(maybe 61) lets call it Orig cornwall

Cornwall II vertical horns new mid driver horn lens 61 or 62-mid seventys early Cornwall II

Cornwall rear mounted horns with horizontal centerd horns 70,s-84 Cornwall 1

Cornwall II frount mounted horns same lay out as cornwall one 84 - to end late cornwall II

----------------

On 7/22/2003 8:49:06 AM sprocket wrote:

Eric

I did not expect such a full and complete answer to the AC line question. Erik, you always answer with a slam-dunk. Big thanks. This question always surfaces for me when I listen very late at night. The system has that little extra in the wee hours of the AM. I do n't even have a word to discribe it. It just delivers greater pleasure when listening at that early time.

The item pictured (Jhon Risch power filter) is a kit from DIY Cable. I can't say it changed much but was fun to build. It entered my system a year ago in an attemp to duplicate that little extra, no word to describe it, performance that the early hours delivers.

Leok, I may have credited you for the caulk rope intervention a thread ago. I try to read everything you write and like Eric, it holds great significance. It was Lynn who's humoresque writing identified the correct surface of the horn to caulk. Thanks you and Leok look like brothers.

Rob does have a spl meter. Neither of us thought of including it for our audition. We'er so amateurish.

Reg

----------------

Reg,

A/C line? Some thirty years ago, I was informed that " Klipsch speakers only come out at night".

tc

Doug-

You aren't kidding. Maybe I should have gone out to buy a lottery ticket or something!

Mike-

Welcome back. I had wondered if you were ever coming back? Yes, they are still sounding great. I've been enjoying them on a near-daily basis since I got them. Now I have to share time with them and the K-horns, but I think they understand. I may run an extra set of speaker cables to them so I could swap between SS and tubes with the Chorus IIs as well. Hmmm, now where is all my spare cable???

Hey Guys,

I'm working like a madman at Oracle now. My life has been a whirlwind for the last 6 months but I'm hoping I can spend some time on this Forum again.

I have gotten back into road racing and have done 4 events in the last 4 months... 3 at Sebring and 1 at Moroso. I'll be doing Sebring again in October and can hardly wait. I'm having the time of my life at the moment. :)

Mike

Guys, I've been lurking in this post for awhile, but think it's one of the best ones I've read. In fact, it encouraged me (along with hearing Leo's Chorus II's) to nudge a newbie friend into picking up a pair recently. He'll be building his own amps this fall/winter and I think will be very pleased with the sound.

Even though I scored a very worn pair of Klipschorn at a very low price, and put months of love into them to get them up to par, I would think that a pair of Chorus II's in my living room would have been hardly a comprimise and surely more transportable :)

Thanks for the great review.

Chris-

Thanks for the kind words. I feel great when I can give something back to the board. I've learned so much here that it's nice to be able to add info for folks out there, rather than absorbing it. Besides, it was quite a great time doing the audition. I'm sure your friend will enjoy the sound for years to come. And yes, Chorus IIs are certainly more transportable.

Rob, nice talking with you today ... It's probably a good idea that we schedule a winter-fest round robin ... CT, MA, ME (Greg, are you listening?) ... A lot of good tunes up the coast, with a relatively short driving distance.

Hell, maybe Greg will give us a discount on new listening rooms :)

Chris-

That works for me, I know Reg (Sprocket) would be interested, as he and I already discussed a New England gathering in the fall. I'd like it to be in the fall, early winter, as the baby is due in early Dec, so any road trips after Turkey-day will be severely limited. Maybe we can figure something out. And I like the idea of discounts. Probably not as good as $1K K-horns, but you never know!