Cornwall II vs. Chorus II--shootout in CT

jhawk92

Gary-

Can do. I'll bring CDs, SPL, and a camera to record the fun. Really looking forward to the Scott demo.

Mace-

Not sure what x-overs we were using. To tell the truth, I have never opened up my Chorus IIs, or any of my speakers except the K-horn bass bin. Guess I'm happy with what I have, so I don't want to mess things up. Maybe someone knows which x-over is for which model year, kind of like the K-horns.

Keith-

Actually Craig said he believes my Scott was a 1-owner unit, judging from the dust that was on the inside and that the screws did not show any signs of removing. Overall, he said it's a great looking unit, with very good walnut case, and a full complement of Tele ribbed plate 12AX7s, Bugle Boy phase splitters, Scott rectifier, and 3 of 4 near-new Tele 7189s! He and I have discussed the difference between smooth plate and ribbed plate 12AX7s, and for now, I think I'll stick with what I have. I'm sure I'll have enough things to listen to with this unit before I start rolling tubes. I don't know if I'd be able to tell between a smooth plate and ribbed plate Tele. 9.gif But I am really looking forward to hearing them on the Chorus IIs.

Rob,

My wife says this should be a real geek-a-thon. She just doesn't get it. Remember, when she's in hearing distance, I got all this stuff for free2.gif and there's no such thing as a Mcintosh MX-110. Doesn't exist. Nor does a Thorens TD-165 TT. The MC240 was also free as were the Heresys and the Acoustrons. The rest is OK. I've had all the other 2-channel stuff for 25 years or so. You know, the stuff in the basement.9.gif

Just for the record, I'm not kidding.

Gary, you are a dandy. If I tell my wife "I've had that for years", she just gives me the "yea, right! how much"?

Excellent reading and information here. Although I have listened to most of the Heritage Speakers, I have never had the opportunity to compare side by side. This is what makes this forum unique. You guys are to be complimented for the hands-on heads-up. Thanks

Man, I envy you guys close enough to compare systems...Wish there were more 'hornaphiles' down here in San Antonio, where I am at. I guess I need to get some tubes for my cornwalls to really appreciate them. Currently using an Acuras A200 (200wpc). But that is half the fun, finding new combos that bring out the best sound. By the way, which is preferable, a stereo tube amp or monos? Any why...?

Regards,

Dave

I'm suprised no one has said anything about Lonestar's remarks about the Cornwall II vs. I differences. Maybe someone can explain(or dig up an old thread and repost) better than me but...some/all? early Cornwalls(pre-70's) were indeed Cornwall II's and did NOT have front mounted drivers. Here is an example of a Cornwall II from 1968. Nice huh? So the Cornwall I's came out AFTER the original II's then the II's came out in the 80's in a with the obvious fron mounted speakers. Hope I didn't screw up the facts too much.

Rob

Nice post, thanks for sharing your comparison. FWIW, I liked my Chorus 1's over the Cornwalls I use to own. I liked the overall flater responce over the entire spectrum. Have not owned Chorus 2's. They are all GREAT speakers that have the BIG HERITAGE sound.

Synth, those CW's are verticle mount 1's not 2's. The 2's were mfged in the mid to late 80's. Everything b4 that was a 1 or original CW.

JM

It clearly states that these models are Cornwall II's right on the label. I thought we had this discussion several times before. Someone help me out. Is it originals('59 to whenever?), then original II's(mid/late 60's ?), then originals('til mid 80's?)again then II's again?

----------------

On 7/24/2003 7:38:41 PM synthfreek wrote:

It clearly states that these models are Cornwall II's right on the label. I thought we had this discussion several times before. Someone help me out. Is it originals('59 to whenever?), then original II's(mid/late 60's ?), then originals('til mid 80's?)again then II's again?

----------------

Doesn't matter. If it's rear mounted drivers it's a 1. Front mounted it's a 2. Period. That's how we determine which it is no matter what Klipsch put on the label.

My speakers are Cornwall I

produced in 1984

crossiver B-3

tweeter K-77m

mid K-57k

woffer K-33e

Cornwall speakers with vertical horns are called Corn II's.

Yes they have early dates on them which makes it confusing.

Cornwall speakers with front mounted horns are called Corn II's also. They have production dates after 84 or 85. Horizontal horns.

Cornwall speakers with horns mounted from the rear of the motor board, are called Corn I. (they have removal rear panels to access the speakers)

They have production dates upto and including 1984 (maybe 1985, don't remember). Horizontal horns.

Maybe this makes it clear. Maybe it makes it more confusing.

Ya can't argue that it sure is fun.

Reg

post-7094-13819248495554_thumb.jpg

Syth

The label is probably like that since PWK made a few slight changes from the first initial design. It has the clasic K77 and K600 with K55 giving pure CW glory. Any Cornwall from '59 to '85 is a CW1.

The CW2 built from '85 to '90 used the newer 80s design (non EV!!!) K57 tweeter. I think the front mount squaker horn is a K601???, not sure of the driver either. I believe it used a newer woofer like the Chorus, instead of the classic K33 of the rest of the Heritage but do not know for sure since I never owned a CW2 personally.

JM

Reg-

Thanks for posting the label. I didn't think I'd create such a firestorm of controversy over what was a CW1 or CW2. But it is certainly confusing with the different models.

John M-

You should try out the Chorus II, it is quite spectacular. If you ever get out to New England, you can try mine on for size. Now there is an idea...Chorus I vs. Chorus II! My parents have both the Forte and Forte II, so maybe I'll try and get an A/B audition next time I visit.

hay thats agreat post my freind and i did the same kind of test between cornwalls and chorusII powered by a denon 140x7 the cornwalls we had to turn down 2 volume setings on the reciver so we could make them equal volume when playing at the same time what a sound my ears are still ringing I own chorusII but i have to say that the cornwalls are superior by a tuch theres my two cents

efficiency and SPL are the primary factors in an evaluation?

Maybe it is an assessment better suited for the HT forum.

------------------------------

I think the mix of software used for the evaluation was well varied and allowed for good assesments.

With the constraints in the home, at the time, it seems maybe you guys were listening at 3-6 watts, maybe sometimes at 12 watts.

This is a good listening level in my opinion. It makes sure room vibations do not add distortion ot the evaluation.

----------------

On 7/24/2003 7:38:41 PM synthfreek wrote:

----------------

synthfreek,

I agree with your info and the dates are pretty accurate too.

The Standard Cornwall (referred by many of us as I's) are indeed the original Cornwall models which had their horns horizontally oriented and mounted from the rear. I'm not aware that Klipsch ever had an official Cornwall Model Designated as I. It just became customary and acceptable to refer to Standard Cornwalls as I's.

The model first designated as II by Klipsch had their tweeter and mid-range horns vertically oriented when the cabinet is standing in its vertical position, their drivers were rear mounted also. It appears that Klipsch switched back to the Standard Cornwall configuration in the mid 70's, but kept the Vertical II's available as Special Order Models til the end of the 70's. Looks like after 79 the CW II vertical horn configuration was phased out. It's said that increased costs caused its demise?

Late 1985, Klipsch resurrected the Cornwall II designation. However, these models had their horns horizontally oriented and mounted from the front.

donzi-

Running your test through the Denon would allow you to do that, but we were running through an older preamp and tube amps, so we didn't have that luxury. However, since the Cornwall is at 100dB sensitivity and the Chorus II is 101dB, we were pretty close overall. Now if you were doing Cornwall vs. K-horn, 104dB, then you might want to do some adjusting.

As this thread shows, owners of both speakers certainly made a good choice.

Audio-

Reg and I were usually well below 3W, as his Moondogs only go up to 4.5W. You might be confusing this review with the one GaryMD and I did with his Scott and Cornwalls. For that one, I bet we were in that 3-6W range, and I don't think we ever got close to 12W.

G3-

Congrats on your purchase. I know you will love them. What will you be using for amplifiers? Inquiring minds want to know.

J Hawk

My coment was directed at the 100 watt plus contingent.

I could tell by your posts you were less than 5 watts; which is where i think horn speakers should be critically listened to.

I am listening to a Dynaco PAS pre into LEOKs P6D for CDs at this time.

Tubes into PWM is pretty cool.