Done Deal

Deang

Notice he 'crawled' back -- couldn't just walk away like a man.

Maron, I was only kidding with the Geritol crack -- it's just that sometimes you're so damn cranky. Yeah, a bit of a setback with the money toward the big horn project. I'm not worried about it though, it will probably take me longer to learn what I have to do than it takes me to get the money together. I've also considered the Adire Audio HE12.1 -- which is considerably less money.

I didn't "throw away" the amps, which is a strange way to describe what I did/ am doing.

Tom, the EL-34 is not a "topology", I guess you just meant my desire to stay with the EL-34 tube in general. You said I should have taken a bigger leap, going to a different manufacturer, different parts, different circuitry, etc. -- but you never really said how or why. Did you even read my posts all the way through?

So, show me the bigger leap for less than $2000.

"I think this would yield you a change for the better (or possibly worse), but at least you would know what you like, or may like more (if not worse)..."

I know what you are saying, but it's not very logical based on my experience (amps I've already been through), or based on what I said in my posts above.

It takes a certain kind of listener to feel they are fully satisfied with 3 watts of anything(triode, class A, AB, bla , bla, bla or PWM(P6D)).

Cool Jazz, Love music, Classicl and the like.

Dean, Craig and I are not in that group.

I was slammin' Who's Next on Craigs Scott power amp and Dynaco pre from a Cd source.

You really need to get to 12 watts or more to be really causing trouble.

I can listen at 3-4 watts; but i have to have a little more than 10 to really rock out

I have 6BQ5 12 watt amps, but tend to prefer the SE 6BQ5 Pentode with a touch of feedback.

I listen to anything, Jazz to Thrash.

(I do use subwoofers for the material that benefits from them.)

Yeah, I can rock pretty hard with the PP 6BQ5 amps, but prefer the sound of the SE amp. That little extra wattage doesn't make up the difference for the open SE sound.IMO.

Though I'm still playing with those Eico HF-12's, a never ending quest...

I may be limited to relaxed material with this 5OC5 amp, at 2.2 watts. Microwatt SE listening.

SE definitely has a few things going for it -- especially with Heritage.

How much power does the EL-84 SE with feedback have? There really shouldn't be that much of a difference between that and the 2.2 watt RCA.

Hey Dean, bang for the buck under $2k...two words...Jeff Lessard...or three words...Jean Francios Lessard...sorry if ti sounds commercial, I just think that in bang for buck this guy is an virtual a-bomb! regards, tony

----------------

On 7/29/2003 12:03:42 PM sunnysal wrote:

yeah I know, but "retired" is rarely a permanent thing at his age
:)
tony

----------------

Hi Tony,

I'm probably lazy enough to stick with my decision9.gif. If someone is interested in the Horus though, Erik Mandaville would be happy being bribed in building these. I am certain he would do a really nice job!

As for me I will offer my personal amps for sale from time to time.

On the selling list soon will be my actual Cobalt SET 300B monoblocks (that could easily be switched to a 2A3). These will eventualy have to make place to my next to be 2A3 PP.

Jeff L.

How rough would it be to build a minimalist Pantheon pre-amp?

Dean,

6BQ5 has a max power output of 4.3 watts, from the data sheets I glanced over.

50C5 has max power output of 2.3 watts.

The SE 6BQ5 amplifier clipped with a square wave through a scope and load resistor at 4.5 watts.

Real world listening levels are at more like 1 watt or 1.5 per channel, I would geuss.

The RCA 50C5 amp would likely be in the milliwatt range at normal listening levels, another geuss.

The 50C5 is a strange tube, 50 volt heaters.

I tested the pair, they are still good and strong.

After a test on one, I went to grab it. YOWCH!!

The tube has a 220 max Cel. glass temperature.

I'm sure this wasn't the actual bottle temp, but they get hot. And are recommended to be well ventilated.

Who knows, the thing could sound terrible.

I haven't found a phase compensation circuit.

It's just Plate and B+ going in the OPT, and speaker positive and common going out the winding of each OPT.

No power transformer and one diode, I don't get it.

----------------

On 7/29/2003 7:27:55 PM mike stehr wrote:

How rough would it be to build a minimalist Pantheon pre-amp?

----------------

Pretty easy. I can send you the schematic if you want. You cannot go more minimalist than it actually is, unless you use one input and skip the input selector.

Sure. If you want to send me a schematic, go for it.

Email:

heidij@centurytel.net

I should have said minimalist parts quality.

Well, maybe not too cheap of parts.

Or should I say with good known reliable brand name parts that are priced within reason?

sumthin' like that.

Mike:

I have a copy of the Pantheon SRPP Schematic. It is like lots of SRPPs, and the circuit is simple. In terms of parts, a good place to look for decent quality at a decent price is Mouser. I order from them constantly, and they will have everything you would need to build the preamp. Plus, they have such a huge volume, that prices are pretty good.

Granted, if you ask them for Black Gate or Jensen capacitors, they wouldn't be able to help. But names like Mallory; Dale-Vishay; Hammond; etc. are all part of their language.

Craig:

For me, that's more complex than you all who have the knowledge and hardware to be able to do that! Honestly, I don't have a digital camera, nor a scanner. But Jeff L. sent me an example of it, perhaps you might ask him. You do have a copy of the Horus, don't you? If not, it's on the MagneQuest site, as well.

BTW: That CD I mentioned to you? I left it at the guy's house from whom I bought my La Scalas. I took it their to audition the speakers with, and forgot to bring it back. I emailed him a couple of times about it, but got no response. I was going to arrange another visit, but just got busy with other things. Sorry about that....

The SRPP can and is done many different ways. YOu could do a search on it, and likely come up with a bunch of stuff.

Erik