Oops, wrong Radiola...but still a Radiola

I'm trying this again for a few people who asked me to repost this picture. This is not the same horn, however, actually it's the same kind of horn speaker (I have two), but this is in my workroom.

The other two radios: a Hammarlund short wave receiver, and small Crosley regenerative receiver. I use the Hammarlund for listening to BBC, Radio Moscow, India, etc.

That little green status bar did an odd thing as I watched this upload, it went up to the midpoint gradually....stopped there to rest for a minute, and then sprinted to the top. Is that normal?

post-10533-13819248599384_thumb.jpg

Very nice work, Mike!

I got so busy with my own project (self-centered jerk that I am!) I forgot you had something in the works! Looking very forward to it's development.

Will you tell me what kind of camera using? I need to get a decent digital camera badly!!! I can't keep running to Target with rolls of film to make picture CDs!

Erik

That's very interesting...you seem to enjoy vintage tube radios as much as I do. Only difference is you totally understand their electronics and how tube technology operates; unfortunantly, I do not. I'm not mechanically inclined, and I could never build my own vacuum tube amplifiers (I struggled with building a crystal radio with my RadioShack solderless Science Fair 160-in-1 project electronic lab kit back in the '70's)!

My dad, on the other hand, has been repairing old tube radios since he was 11 years old, and now he's got a little side business of his own, repairing and restoring vintage vacuum tube radios (from old Atwater-Kents from the '20's, all the way to Airlines and Transitones from the mid '50's). He tried to teach me the basics in electronics, but I didn't know which end of a soldering iron to hold on to (ha ha), let alone grasp what capacitors and resistors do.

I did manage to start a very small collection of antique tube radios for myself, although that hobby came to a screeching halt once I was laid off! I'd love to start collecting again, and maybe find that ever-elusive console or cathedral radio from Philco or Zenith at a great price (not)!

That clock mechanism is pretty cool, too. Definately keep the inner workings exposed; maybe a glass or plexiglass faceplate could be used...IMHO!

I remember those, Dean -- they were neat!

A cheapo $400? But that sounds like a lot to me right now. At school, we have a really nice Sony digital camera we use to photograph student work for portfolios and such. That was over $1000, but really nice to work with.

Hi JT. Yeah, I love old radios. The Atwater Kent that was in the first picture that vanished was a good project. It was not working, and was one of the things that helped teach me -- I forced myself to work on it and become familiar with details of the schematic. All the joints on the wooden cabinet were split, but my wife had a good eye on this -- she got it for me on ebay, knowing what a stubborn mule I am to get something working.

You can always learn, but you have a great system and enjoy the radios, too. Maybe you'll be able to continue collecting one day again soon!

Man, weird. Don't even know where my own post went.

Anyway, still have seen no pix as suggested, only Mike Stehr's chassis. Fascinating for sure, but I'd like to see the Radiola. Don't think I have major security in place or whatever, and am using pretty standard IE browser.

Something not right here.

Dave

Thanks Erik. I do hope that someday soon I can add a companion cathedral or tombstone radio to the oldest radio in my tiny collection thus far, a '33 Emerson-Ingraham Model 25A mantle radio. It's a gem...original inlay and finish, along with its grille cloth, brass dials, bakelite knobs, and it's 4 tubes and speaker (my dad replaced the caps and the original cloth power cord with a new cloth cord). It's a real clean example of tiny mantle radios from their era, and for not being a superheterodyne, it can still pull in those distant AM stations.

1933 Emerson 25A.jpg

post-11084-13819248602584_thumb.jpg

LOL Jim

That thing is as cute as a kitten ! It actually looks to be smiling.

Love it forever Amigo !

Can you find a model number ? I would guess its age to be late 20's - mid 30's.

Edit

DOH!! I reread your post and saw that you had already ID'd it as a 1933 Emerson-Ingraham. Can you supply more info about Ingraham ?

I will love it forever, lynnm!

It's about life-size in that photo, and because of its cramped quarters inside the walnut cabinet, the tubes really heat up the top of the radio! The lacquer finish on top has cracked and peeled away, but I want that original finish left intact.

I guess you missed it when you read it, lynnm...it's a Model 25A by Emerson-Ingraham, made in 1933...not bad for a 70 year old radio. I even have a copy of its schematic diagram; how cool is that?

I've still not seen anything but Jim's radio.

Given the interest (I've a few such pieces myself, including a 4000k impedance wood horn from the '20s) if the Forum would inculde an Antique Audio section for such things. Bet there'd be lots of traffic.

Dave