12" cornerhorn

digjr

Thought I would share a project that I have been working on for a while. There was some talk about a smaller version of the cornerhorn a while back so I decided to try a 12". I just buttoned up the base this evening and will start on the horn section next. The base dimensions are 25" wide by 31" tall, weighing in at 95 lbs. It is made of 1/2" mdf mounted to a 3/4" face. The horn section, with the spacer, should add another 9" or so. LOTS of angles in this box and this is NOT a single weekend project.

Don

post-9957-13819248625194_thumb.jpg

Jim,

I haven't decided just what I'm going to do with the top. I may sell them and if so I may just sell the cabinets. The depth won't allow a 400 anyway so I'm open to suggestions on what size to build the top. If I sell them bare I will include a removable face plate so the buyer can make his (or her) own speaker selection.

Thanks,

Don

Digjr,

Very nice work.

Please don't stop without putting some sort of treble horn in place and giving it a try.

I'm reminded of story in SpeakerBuilder. Bruce Edgar had published an article about his mini tratrix bass horn. A reader mentioned it to his wife. She bought him a bass driver for his birthday. He, expecting not too much, built the bass horn. He said, all he had invested was a rainy day project some MDF.

Eventually he pulled the treble system out of his Speakerlab K's and was bowled over at the combined results.

What is that bass driver you're using?

I see you're using a B and D Workmate. They are real handy.

Gil

Thank you guys. There is about 24" of width in the top section. I have a bunch of K-77's and I thought of placing one vertical to allow more room for a mid horn. Would a 700 work? If I let the woofer crossover at a higher frequency than 400 would that be worth a try? Or maybe even a good two way setup might work. How big are the Chorus horns? That's why, if I sell them, I was thinking about selling the cabinets only. There so many different ways of filling these. The driver that is currently shown is an EV Model 4 12". I had excellent luck with a pair in the "Baby Belles" that I built but I'll have to try them. Like I said before, suggestions are welcome. I'll post more pics as they get closer to being finished. Thanks again for the comments.

Don

Yes, that would be me. I found the Baby Bell project very interesting so I thought I would take the next step. It was a big step! I'm going to post some more pictures tonight.

How tall are the Cobra horns? I have 7 1/2" to work with.

Don

Well then greetings from a fellow Vermonter then! If you are ever up in the Burlington area let me know, I can show you my setup if you are interested. Since you do such beautiful work with wood would you have any interest in refinishing my La Scala's for me at some point?

----------------

On 7/31/2003 6:54:22 AM digjr wrote:

bclarke421,

Thanks for the suggestion. The Cobraflex IIB horns that I found are 9.3" tall, about 2" taller than my motorboard. Is there another Cobraflex horn that would fit the application?

Thanks,

Don

----------------

Off the top of my head, the only ones I've seen are too tall. How about fabricating your own?

So how did you do this to maitain the proper sound?

Did you take the standard measurements

for the Cornerhorns and reduce them by 12/15ths?

- Lee

Home:

Carver Amp

Carver Tuner

NAD pre-amp

NAD tape deck

NAD CD player.

Thorens turntable

Heresy speakers

Office:

Dynaco FM-3 tube tuner

Dynaco PAS-2 tube Preamp

Antique Sound Lab av-8s tube amps

Cornwall speakers

GoVideo/Sonic Blue - dvd/CD/mp3 player

You may have a hard time getting higher than 400Hz out of the cab no matter what driver you use. As I recall from other posts here, the many folds make it hard for the higher frequencies to exit the horn. The LS even has a hard time getting past 400Hz very well.

Marvel

This sounds very interesting for a smaller corner horn. but i am very interested in the baby bell project can someone point me in the right direction to find the information for this special project. sounds to me like a good center channel project for the home theater. Thanks Bill

Bill,

I also built the "Baby Belles". However, I don't have a refined set of plans for the project. I doubt if you'd have much luck my notes and scribbling. If I can find some time I could try to staighten out my mess. I can give you the outside dimensions quickly but beyong that I will need some time.

Marvel,

I just installed a K-42 crossed at 700. Not too bad but I want to try a 500 that I built (might even be a 400, I don't remember off the top of my head) before I'm done. Thanks for the input. Any ideas for a mid lens?

Don