Dear God: Save me from the HISSSSSSSSSSSSS. Yamaha Sucks! Never again......

afraid

Its unbearable. The hiss is just to bad. Must destroy my 595a. What a piece of garbage. Hissssssssssssssssssssss, hissssssssssssssssssss. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hiss, muffled center channel and low power makes my yammie a piece of ****. Yeah its two years old but damn! It really sucks because i love my klipsch speakers, but they wont get to be used for a few months while i save up to get a Marantz. When i cant watch a movie without HIssssss coming out of every channel its time to give it up.

I swear it all i hear!!! Im so pissed.

------------------

Yamaha 595a

SB-1's (pair)

SC .5 (center)

SS.5's (pair, rear channels)

Zenith 27" TV

Toshiba 3109 DVD player

Optimus HT Surge Protector

Sorry to here about the hiss! I have the RXV 795a & it's dead quiet with my KSF 8.5's. Yammy makes good stuff, 2 years is not old! Have you always had the hiss? Sounds like maybe a short in a switch or a bad contact. Try cleaning them real good and see if that helps. Just a tempory fix though, once a switch gets play in it from wear--well it's kinda like hopeing Slick 50 will fix your engine!

Its always had the hiss, i was in a bigger room though so i did not hear it as much. Braveheart is the worst. Man does it sound bad. Exaclty like a audio tape sounds.

------------------

Yamaha 595a

SB-1's (pair)

SC .5 (center)

Zenith 27" TV

Toshiba 3109 DVD player

hey speaking of braveheart, are they out w/ a DTS version of that yet? looking for that. may have to check some websites.

afraid, bet when u switch to stereo mode w/ all things else equal, the hiss really drops. that pretty much isolates it to those noisy dsp.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

RX-V2090

ChorusII's, Academy, and KG series

System is dead quiet here too!

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog....)

I almost forgot to ad.. I have an old DSP unit too (RX-V470, 50 watts a side) hooked in to a pair of HeresyII's in the bedroom. It's dead quiet too!

Wonder if you have been putting up with a faulty unit??

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 05-16-2001 at 06:47 PM

you guys must have ultra quiet components too. my marantz sr-8000 is dead quiet too. w/ nothing else playing that is.

but i get some hiss w/ the old sony dvdp & the digital set-top due to them & certain source material.

a good receiver will show noise in an input signal kinda like the klipsch doing the same.

iow, u can't blame all, or maybe not any, hiss on the receiver/amp.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I dont believe its a faulty unit, my onkyo 575 and my first receiver an Aiwa pro logic had hiss too. I took the onkyo back, too much hiss. got the Yamaha without listening to it, well it has hiss too. Too bad, the onyko sounded better even with all the hiss. You get what you pair for.....

------------------

Yamaha 595a

SB-1's (pair)

SC .5 (center)

Zenith 27" TV

Toshiba 3109 DVD player

My Yamaha DSP-A1 is dead silent with 86db efficient speakers.

Except back when all my Home Theater components' a.c. cords were first plugged into a fancy power strip!

Low-level hum and sizzle but not 'hiss'.

Solution? The 3-to-2 ground plug eliminator.

About a dollar apiece at Home Depot. (AC switch section).

Buy at least 4 to save repeat trips.

Not all cords required the adaptor to solve the problem.

This won't solve a noisy amp section but is sure cheap to try.

Subsitution is another approach.

RF problems must be tackled with those pricy power strips. Search YAHOO/shopping for "HTS2000".

Advice from a local Hi-End dealer may be helpful.

Check consignment sales and trade options while there.

---

http://homepage.mac.com/earlghamner/PhotoAlbum3.html

Snapshots of my new SONY 9000ES DVD player. Neat new toy! Plays DVDs/CDs smoother than the S7700 it replaced. Bought it at Oade Bros located in Georgia. No tax, shipping included. See www.oade.com. Call for price.

The Maggies are cutting-edge. A combo of the old Tympani bass panels with newer 3.5 panels. Much improved bass here - but not like corner horns at all.

Maggies' owner: BOBWIRE.

I'm a Long-Time Klipsch wannabe. Thiel 3.6 pair now. A three-way with a 10" bass speaker and passive radiator. As wavelengths get longer this speaker gets smaller. No real bass power at all and none intended by the designer.

Are the KHorns still in production?

Looks like the New Management wants to fill the home theater market with the very opposite of the horn - the speaker in a small box.

That's where the new HT sales are, no doubt. So why is this forum filled with stories of Cornwalls and new home construction?

Next step - KLIPSCH is bought by the Japanese? (Like McIntosh.)

My funny Klipsch story:

Years ago Alco Paramount (now defunct), located in Mtn. View (and San Jose), was selling the KHorn. The demo room was a small add-on in a very large store. 1/4 ply exterior/interior finish and 2x4 construction. Shelves with receivers, turntables. KHorn pair in remote corners, looking into the long end of a short room.

No speaker I've seen looks as powerful as a pair of these. Awesome even today.

I brought in a Warner Bros. recording of Gus Farney at the Salt Lake Theater pipe organ. Popular music. Wide groove excursion indicated good stuff at the bottom. (A second album has NO wide groove excursion!)

The recording played back at conversation level had plenty of pipe organ bass. Enough to resonate the human body AND the 1/4 ply walls of the room. IN ran the sales guy and OFF the turntable came the record and OUT the door went the customer!

True story.

To prove to myself something about sales guys I repeated this playback at the same store months later with the same recording. Different guy but Same Result.

I can only conclude the sales staff and Klipsch Horns couldn't get along together. At least with Gus Farney.

Earl Hamner

Milpitas, Californa

I have the Yamaha RX-V1000 and Klipsch Reference (RF-3). I can turn the volume all the way up (without a source) and hear a slight sisle. If I had my music up that loud, it would shatter the windows. Don't yell at Yamaha's entire line. You may have a problem with wires or cables...even a broken unit. I would call Yamaha's tech support.

Got the Yamaha 596.

Quiet as a mouse!

------------------

Brian King

----------------------

Yamaha RX-V596

Klipsch SF-2 (mains)

Klipsch SC-1 (Center)

Klipsch ss-1.1 (classic rears)

Klipsch KSW-12

Monster Cable THX Certified

Pioneer DV-333 CD/DVD Player

Sanyo VCR

35" Sanyo Direct View TV

Yammy RX-V995 w/Reference Series HT setup + KSW-12. Everything was quiet, no hiss etc. Repalced the KSW-12 with a SW-12II and got a bad hummm. Got a 3 prong ->2 prong adapter and all is quiet again.

I love my Yamaha but will probably go with Denon next time around...

------------------

Ed W

Man, I feel your pain. Back in the days of vinyl, we would go to great lengths to avoid hiss. Somithing must be amiss somewhere! Maybe some polarity issue. Get a meter & confirm your CD player & reciever match (heck, check all your equipment while your at it). Also check all the grounds. If you have been having this problem with all your receivers something is up. Log onto boundforsound.com & check the tweeks section for a detailed "how to" on this. Could be an appliance somewhere, anything. Do you use line conditioning etc?

This message has been edited by Quenten on 05-17-2001 at 06:03 PM

Or write to the material producers & tell'm to clean it up some.

p.s. i was being sarcastic about yam receivers above. A receiver may be pretty quiet but it's only as quiet as what it's fed. unless you think it somehow magically eliminates any hiss it's given while letting the good stuff get through. in other words anybody that says they have absolutely no noise at all times is

lying.

And besides, as far as noisy receivers makers, yamaha is maybe a 1/2 step quieter than sony. hell, you can buy yamaha at all the fast food outlets. that should say something. Smile.gif

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Hey Hump... Most of us here are referring to the hiss that some receivers make when there is NO source material playing and the volume knob is at a moderate level. Man, we know most source material has some hiss...........unfortunately........

Mike

I just cranked my Yamaha RX-596 to max volume with no source. When I put my ear against my K-77 horn tweeter, I heard NO hiss or noise - just dead silence. I've never noticed any hiss or noise from this unit.

The problem may not be your unit. It could be some kind of AC line problem.

I have always had a slight hiss with my adcom 555 mk II. The hiss is only heard at about 2 feet from the speaker and closer. Now if i turn the volume up to full with no source the hiss is audible to about 10 feet. But have never noticed any hiss during playback at any volumes. I figure who cares if there is a slight hiss with no source if it doesnt get in the way of my music sessions. And who would ever have there equipment up to full volume anyway. If you did no need to worry about only replacing windows because there will be alot of equipment to replace as well.

Im worried about hiss when movies are playing. At med to high volumes there is a noticible hiss coming from the speakers. Ever watch VHS tape loud? You get that same hiss when i watch my movies. Braveheart is unwatchable, hissssssssssssssssss. Sixth sense same thing. When nothing is coming trough a channel there is a hiss. Is it just the source DVDs that are doing it? They all have it then.

------------------

Yamaha 595a

SB-1's (pair)

SC .5 (center)

Zenith 27" TV

Toshiba 3109 DVD player