What does a Heresy sound like?

ttaylor

Hi,

Ive just gotten the opportunity to buy some Heresys that are not working. The tweeters are blown but all else is fine. The cabinets need help but thats not a problem. I love my La Scalas. Will I like the Heresy? I havent heard a pair in 15 years so can someone describe the sound? They are not very new so I guess their not HeresyII.

Thanks for the help.

taylor

Heresys sound just about like LaScalas except they don't go as low. If you have a really good ear, you might be able to detect a small difference in timbre between 400 Hz and 700 Hz because of the different crossover frequency to the squawker. And it takes more power to get the same amount of sound out of them because they are not as efficient. Heresys II has been in production since 1985. If everything is mounted from the front, they are Heresy IIs. Otherwise they are Heresys.

----------------

On 7/29/2003 8:28:43 PM Malcolm wrote:

Heresys sound just about like LaScalas except they don't go as low. If you have a really good ear, you might be able to detect a small difference in timbre between 400 Hz and 700 Hz because of the different crossover frequency to the squawker. And it takes more power to get the same amount of sound out of them because they are not as efficient. Heresys II has been in production since 1985. If everything is mounted from the front, they are Heresy IIs. Otherwise they are Heresys.

----------------

I disagree. I own heresys and I think due to their smaller cabinet they don't come close to lascalas or belles or cornwalls (which even have the same mid/tweeter). They are great sounding speakers for their size but they are not nearly as "live" sounding as the larger heritage to my ears.

I'm not knocking them because I love their sound but I don't think they're in the same league as the others.

Right now I am listening to a heresy on the left channel and a belle on the right channel. Even making them balance out as far as volume, the belle (which is very close to the lascala) has better clarity on highs and mids.

That clarity is what Im hoping to get but in a smaller package, for a smaller room. Does the larger mid horn really make that big a difference since the CD is the same? Would the liviness seem greater if it is used in a smaller listening room? My LS sound the best with about 20+ feet between us and the Heresys will be going into a 11 X 14 room.

taylor

I've got Heresies and La Scalas. Heresies are bright. I reworked the crossover of my Heresy center and knocked the mid and tweeter down 3 dB and they sound much closer to my La Scalas. Close enough I'm happy. If I put my Heresies in a corner, on the floor, they become boomy. La Scalas in those same corners are not.

The smaller room will help (I have a bunch of heresy in this house). You will notice, regardless of room size, a clearer mid range on the LaScala/Belle/KHorn. The Heresey is bass poor compared to its cousins.

That said - I love my speakers and their sound (especially coupled with their smaller size). It is a very good speaker that won't fail to please. A last moment of honesty that may open me to abuse - in a nearer field with good electronics the difference in mids is really mitigated. Add a good sub (which I think is not such a bad idea with scalas and belles) and you have an amazing sound at a very reasonable price

Hmmm.... If I were to compare the different heritage series to the LaScala, but ignore efficiencies (since I think you know those numbers) I'd go with:

Heresys: similar bass extension but softer squawker (due to x-over and lens)

LaScala: benchmark here

Belle: damn they look pretty... but same as benchmark

Cornwall: Much more bass extension, but softer squawker almost like the heresy

K-horn: haven't yet heard one....

I have to admit that when I auditioned Lascalas, I found them to be a little too forward (or squawker bright ;) probably due to the lack of bass extension and the fact I was used to mine. I didn't listen to them side by side, so there might be a slight difference in bass extension, but it is in the same ballpark.

I think Lascalas and Heresies are as well matched as K-horns and Cornwalls... slightly different but definitely from the same sketchpad. Match the heresys with a nice sub, and you have a great compact setup

Rob

Taylor,

My room size (slightly larger than your 11x14) has prevented me from getting approval for a pair of LS. The Heresy II speakers I do have are wonderful, coupled with a rather small Velodyne sub. All I have is two channel, so the smaller sub works well, extending the bass a bit. They still show the differences in recordings. Some are awesome, some are still poor. I have often compared the Heresys to my older jbl 4311 studio monitors. They are pretty equal, but the Heresys DO have more dynamics, and are a bit louder given their efficiency. The sealed cabinets with a 12 inch woofer sure slows the bass attack compared to the LS bass.

After all that, I would love more of the Heresys in my house. For the money and size, they are hard to beat.

Marvel

As I was saying before I prematurely posted, "the ear" said it best "you get a slice of the heritage sound". I think a rather large and tasty slice at that.

No need for a subwoofer (for me) since I am a 2 channel music listener and they do the job just fine by themselves.

Plus you can move them around easily. I transported them to my house in the back seat of my Ford Taurus.

WAF is good!!!

Great speakers - I am very happy.

Thanks for all the input! Im going to pick them up Friday and start a restoration. Will order diaphrams from EV,check out the wiring and XO and dig out some black polyweave for the grills. From the sound of it, they should be perfect for my listening room and not far off from the sound I enjoy with the LS. I guess some short stands are in order as well. I will post some pics of the cab refinish when I complete it. It may require some new ply on the tops and some veneer patching.

thx again, taylor