Klipchorn Question

Beesley

If you do a search with the word Klipschorn you will see a lot of posts. There was one dealing with Dope from Hope information on really early Khorns and recommended upgrades.

I am not an expert on Khorns, but I wouldn't turn down a pair if they were offered. Older ones can be had for a lot less money than new ones. They may have the odd nick or scratch on them, but that is expected from a 20-50 year old speaker.

Mid 60's to current models have different crossover networks in them. From what I have read most people either like the AA network or the ALK (from ALKeng). The newer AK-4 doesn't have an autotransformer in it. How this effects the network, I'm not sure.

I'm sure others would be able to chime in with their expertise.

you will get opinions on both sides. I think build quality is a good or better than ever. I think it safe to say that the alnico drivers on older k-horns are coveted. some also swear by the first x-over the type A.

others will tell you there have been improvements and that the k-horns produced in the mid to late 90's (with the AK-3 x-over) and the newest version are both marvelous speakers. some doubts are cast about the 70's and 80's k-horns.

I think that while there is a nuance-level difference in all these speakers, if you like the klipschorn sound you will like any klipschorn. you cannot go wrong with any k-horn IF the k-horn sound appeals to you.

What you can do is optimize a k-horn for your system, listening tastes and environment.

the interaction between your chosen k-horn and the amplifier (tube versus solid state, type of tube amp, etc.) the room (live or dead, large or small) etc. will determine which of the k-horns is better for you.

IMHO, first decide if you want a klipschorn, then describe the rest of the system and it's environment, then describe your musical preferences, THEN a specific k-horn type can be recommended.

regards, tony

I really love my 70's vintage Klipschorn, although I did swap out the network with Al K's finest, and that made a noticeable difference.

I also had to refinish the entire speaker (which was fun) including new grills and a kick-strip at the bottom.

While they are hardly stock anymore, they are fundamentally the same old Klipschorn and they sound unbelievable.

I've really grown to love the lower profile look of the "C" style Klipschorn while at first glance, it didn't do a lot for me. I think I would prefer it now although the current style sure is beautiful.

Pat,

When I was on the lookout for my Klipschorns I wanted a pair with the AK-3 crossovers as I've heard nothing but positive things about them.

I really wanted to get some type of exotic finish like Mahogony/Cherry/Rosewood but every pair that went up for sale was either in Texas or Calfornia and I was not about to pay those shipping cost to Massachusetts!

I got my 1994 K-horns in Walnut oil finish with AK-3 x-overs from a gentleman in Virginia,he was the original owner and they were/are in mint condition.The owner swore to me they had less the 20 hours total on them-got to pick 'em up myself to save on all shipping costs.

In the end I would say any Klipschorn you could find whether new or old would be a good choice,you can make changes down the road if need be.They really are a great set of speakers.

Jeff

So far I have been extremely happy with my 1968 K-horns and their Alnico drivers, metal horns, and Type A crossovers. But I still have more critical listening to do, and build a set of false corners to help with bass response. I got to hear Edster's K-horns (not sure of the year of manufacture) and he has the ALK x-overs in. They sound wonderful, but I have not done any A/B comparison between x-overs. I know some folks here have.

That said, I would think any pair of K-horns is a good pair, since you can swap out components pretty easily. Some might prefer the MDF of the newer ones for better vibration control, while others swear by the plywood variety. Personally, I was going to get a pair shod in my favorite finish, oiled oak, with dark grill cloth and was waiting on a pair within driving distance so I could inspect and pick them up and not hastle with a shipping company. But when this pair of '68s came up on the forum and I saw them, beautiful oiled walnut and cane grills in perfect shape, the oiled oak took a back seat. Well, actually the walnut ones took the back seat, and the front seat, of my Explorer on the way home.9.gif

The models from the '50s will have a K-5 midrange horn rather than the K-400. That is one big difference. Good or bad, who is to say? People like them both. Also back then a University (?) tweeter was used. Units from earlier had no tweeter.

There were also different woofers back then. There was a change in the crossover too.

I've never been blessed with hearing a '50s unit. Folks who have make good reports.

I'd expect that what was said above is pretty much on point. They all sound closer to each other than they sound like anything else. The horn loading does that.

Gil

I just want to add that the bass horn was also different in the 50's. Sometime in the early 60's Paul changed the flare rate of the horn by 1 1/2 degrees. I don't know what this change improved. My guess is that it improved the horns responce around 250 Hz.

Does anyone at Klipsch know why the flare rate changed, and for what reason? It would be interesting to know.

Hi

I was considering going with lascalas for having many of the properties of the Khorn, at a lesser price, and more verstile room placement. However I noticed the 1950s klipschorns, 60s lascala center, and mcintosh equipment on ebay for sale from someone in Orange County, CA. Pickup was a possibility from my family (I'm stationed in Germany and won't be going back to the States till September 03)and I thought this might be fair deal pending on how far the price jumps. I was about to upgrade from the KSF series to the Legend series, but after much thought I'd like to hold off until I get the opportunity to listen to the Heritage line. My family and I are being reassigned to Cheyenne, Wyoming (Near Denver Colorado)so if any of you know a place where I could audition some Heritage, please let me know. Thanks

I would like to echo what Chris said in that I noticed a big improvement when I updated my KHorn with ALKs. Though mine could now stand to be refinished, they sound great. I thought we were going to look at moving to a larger home, but it looks like we're staying here a bit longer, in which case I would like to get rid of the window next to my left horn. The room is fully carpeted and we are talking about putting in a wood (tiled) floor, which is a good thing when under the speakers, but would probably create a big reflective surface unless we get a large throw rug to cover at leats part of it.

I knew I my green side would show up sooner or later. Jim If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to shoot you an email after we get settled in Cheyenne (finding a home, ect). I'd really like to hear to your Khorn/Cornwall/Heresy rig. Besides, My wife likes the way they look more than the Legend or Reference line (matches the furnature). Thanks

Jim,

We'll probably be settled in later this year, I'll shoot you an email then and If you have time maybe you could direct me where the "Heritage" are .....can't wait to hear 1st hand all the great things I've heard/read about them. Again, thanks