Homebrew tube amp ideas

ben.

I've got a stash of NOS RCA 6BG6G tubes, and am knocking around some ideas for using them.

1- Single-ended Pentode design for 2-ch playback system.

2- P-P integrated 2-ch

3- Music instrument amp guitar and/or bass

Anyone have any ideas, warnings. etc.

Any volunteers to build em?

If you look on the Triode Electronics tube data page at the 807 tube, they indicate that other than the basing (I think they mean biasing), the curves are the same for the 6BG6-G tube. They have links to a 75 watt AB2 amp using the 6L6 or 807. This could point you in the right direction. 6SN7 phase splitter/driver.

Marvel

Some of those horizontal tubes are pretty linear from what I understand.

The GE data for 6BG6G does indicate amp factor of 8.0 in triode mode.

I'm sure one could find a OPT that would match up, same with the power transformer.

I might be wrong Marvel, but I think they mean pinout when they say "basing".

Be aware of the high anode voltage that will be on top anode cap, which would be above chassis.

SE with a bit of feedback that possibly could be switched out.

I would like to try this with a KT-88, hell, this 6BG6G tube is dirt cheap however.

----------------

On 8/2/2003 12:32:39 PM bclarke421 wrote:

I've got a stash of NOS RCA 6BG6G tubes, and am knocking around some ideas for using them.

1- Single-ended Pentode design for 2-ch playback system.

2- P-P integrated 2-ch

3- Music instrument amp guitar and/or bass

Anyone have any ideas, warnings. etc.

Any volunteers to build em?

----------------

The 6BG6C is given on the Duncan web site as a 807 equivalent but with a different pinout. Assuming this is correct, Gordon Rankin had a really nice schematics for a single ended 807 in Sound Practices vol 1 no.2. I think (not sure though) the PDF version of this article is available through the Wavelenght Audio web site.

It's a really nice and good sounding amp. One of my friend built it and I must say I was quite impressed. And you must know that I have a STRONG bias against single ended amps with anything else than a DHT.

You could also build an "original" Williamson amp which use the 807.

Gentlemen

Thanks for taking a minute to respond. I'm kinda thinking out loud on this front. I am a raw newb when it comes to building anything, so I'm not sure if I'm going to go ahead with this from scratch, or maybe just cut my teeth doing a mod, even just a pinout rewire.

Are SE designs easier to build? My assumption is that they have fewer parts and simpler topologies. This IS an assumption, however. Anyway, thanks for the leads.