Horus' little brother...

I have recently discussed the possibility of developing another single-ended, parallel feed amplifier (either stereo or mono block -- dependent on preference)that could be offered for around $1,000. It would use either tube or solid state rectification, and would have sonic qualities similar to the Horus. The new amplifier (maybe I'll get to use the name 'Icarus' after all!)would incorporate the now seemingly famous Western Electric output connection, which has proved to work so well on both the Moondogs (or any SET amp, for that matter)and the Horus monoblocks I recently completed for myself.

The amplifier chassis could either be a sealed 'natural' aluminum or a black powder-coated finish, and would also have a small amount of light hardwood trim for perhaps a slightly more formal presentation. A darker wood, in my opinion, would look better with natural aluminum because of the contrast.

Again, these would be entirely hand-made by me, including the chassis punching and finishing.

These amplifiers would be one way to introduce some of the advantages of SETs in general, and 'parallel-feeding' in particular, to a broader range of listeners. I believe the cost/performance relationship would be very good.

In the not too distant future, I would like to have a small website that could provide illustrations, schematics, and more in-depth descriptions. A website would be the best and most appropriate way to provide others with information, and I will learn what I need to learn in order to be able to do that. My wife is pretty good at all of this, and said she would be happy to help me. I have known her since 7th grade, and it's amazing to me that she will be 40 years old in a couple of days. She looks awesome, too!

Erik

Go for it Eric. You can cover the SET side of tubes I'll cover the PP wattage kings and between us we can rule the world 1.gif. Besides many of these money hungry companies out there in these fields really need some honest value and service oriented competition !

Craig

Hell I think were all loons 2.gif Dean, Dee and Dodger are just completely over the top !!

Erik,

No haven't even recieved the Chassis from Jeff yet. Take your time on the schematic and also could you throw your baby horus schematic in maybe for the sake of cost since it will probably take me 2 years to whittle away at the full boat horus project maybe I'll build the baby version instead ! I can tell you what would be helpfull on the schematic for people not familar with tube audio and schematics would be to number the tube pins on the diagram. I know when I first started out I really had to scratch my head with schematics that didn't include the Pin numbers.

Craig

Hey Erik, about that beta test site. How about a dealership???

Let me use a pair, I'll demo them to all comers, and you get the profit while I get to listen!

I think demoing such amps with K'horns and 24/192 material might generate a few sales.

Sweet deal for all.

Dave

Hey,

I sincerely appreciate the response on this. Dee, thank you again, as always, for your kindness. Dave: I would be more than happy to work something out as far as your "beta test site!"

I am very much enjoying Jeff's Horus amplifiers, and the thought of being able to put much of the performance into a less expensive but still-nice-looking package made sense to me.

I'll work on this for a bit, and will be in touch. Shouldn't take too long, despite the fact that school is just around the corner. students can be such an incredible source of inspiration and energy for me -- and for many of the teachers with whom I work.

Take care,

Erik

Erik,

great idea. And if you need a European (read German) distributor (I am serious here) who happens to have the same profession as you have (albeit a different subject), just send me an email. Please let us know how things develop.

Wolfram

Erik:

I still have three full weeks, plus the long weekend before school starts in the great white north. Two weeks before I start gearing up for the long haul til Christmas.

The amp sounds like a great idea. There aren't a lot of inexpensive, great quality amps available in that price range.

Not being anything close to an expert on amps, just ask Craig. In layman's language, what are the main differences between a Horus and a Horus lite? I would assume something like the quality of the transformers, capacitors, and maybe the choke as well. Thanks for your assistance in improving my knowledge base.

Don

Yah, the kids come back on Tuesday. I can't believe it's already about to start again! Since this bicycle accident, I just don't feel ready, yet. I had been working in my room and attending meetings all of last week, but called in sick on Friday to try to get this swelling and bruising down. A very ucomfortable spot for a guy!14.gif

The main difference between the original JFL Horus and what I am planning would be in the parts, of course. MagneQuest stuff is expensive, and also very good. My feeling is that a significant amount of the performance can still be found using less expensive alternatives from Hammond. The PSU can also be built a little bit cheaper, but still at a very good level of quality, IMO.

These amplifiers are actually quite simple, and the main thing I am pondering now is the input/driver stage. There a a couple of ideas I am considering, which may involve the 5687. It's a good-sounding, quiet tube, but also an inexpensive one -- in this case, that's important. The new Sovtek 6SN7s are also very good and are an option, too.

Once school starts, everything else sort of stops. I'm up at 3:30 or 4:00 Saturday mornings, and can put in a good bit of time before the rest of the family is up.

If you need a distributor in the New England area, I bet Reg and I could team up. Between us, we have much of the Heritage line covered. While I don't know a ton about tubes, I'm getting there, and Reg has been a help. First thing to do is get the Scott up and running.

I appreciate your offers to help me -- distribution is certainly important, but maybe just a little bit premature. I'm also going to have to sell some things in order to buy the parts needed for bread-boarding this design. As I mentioned the power supply is going to be totally straightforward, although I would like to use a single filter choke. Mouser sells Hammond stuff, and I order from them all the time.

Since really good coupling capacitors (like Jensens) are also expensive, I'm planning on using good quality poly tubular capacitors, with the option of installing whatever someone might want instead. Upgrades would just be added to the cost of the amplifier. There are lots of possibilities, including an on-baord volume control, although I have tried that and don't care for it.

There also seems to be a preference for tube rectification, despite the fact that a pretty strong case can be made for using two SS diodes to make simple rectifier -- one is that they are effective and very, very cheap. Just because a rectifier is a vacuum tube does not necessarily mean it is an upgrade. My dad laughs at the fact that I have been using 5Y3s, GZ37s, 5AR4s, etc. for rectifiers, saying all they do is add to cost, get hot, make a Power transformer work harder because of the extra current draw, etc. So this is an issue that could maybe be best decided by the owner. Everything for me had to be 'tube-this' and 'tube-that' even if bass sounded a little sluggish and perhaps not as 'tight'. So I understand the desire to have yet another glowing tube on the deck of an amplifier -- it DOES look cool!