New Steely Dan CD Sounds Awesome

greg928gts

I've been cranking this new cd for the last couple of days and it is very impressive. I actually turned down the 30hz on my McIntosh preamp! Yes, I'm listening with a SET amp and I turned down the bass!

Seriously though, a very well engineered recording. "Going Out Of Business" has my idea of the perfect drum kit sound.

I'm having a blast with my system right now. This is the best sounding audio system I've ever heard, and it's in my living room! DAC, TUBES, AND KHORNS!!

Greg

I concur whole-heardedly. I've been listening to this on LP for the last couple of weeks. Not only is it great music, but I can't get over how great of a job they did with the recording. Going back to the "Can't Buy a Thrill" album, these guys have always been one of my favorites.

I sure don't have the equipment or experience you guys do but I would like to disagree on a point in this thread. First off, I am a huge SD fan from way back and I have not heard the new CD so I cannot comment on its recording. Secondly, Two Against Nature was not my favorite musically and I have not auditioned it since I got the 7's & Denon.

But where I disagree is with the old catalog including the fantastic album Aja. I love all these CD's and have most in digitally remastered forms. If you could wear out a CD, I would have come close on some of these. However, I would not call the recordings excellent or reference quality. To me, the instrument separation and the overall detail level is just ok.

SD has no equals but I would consider Dave Matthews Band similiar in the way they highlight individual instruments. And I think the recording quality of something like the cd Crash blows away any old SD.

I recognize that SD has always had the reputation for great recording quality. But as I have taken the journey up to more serious audio equipment, I been disappointed that SD never seems like the 'best' recordings I own. Maybe I am the only one....

I have heard better recordings than SD but over time they consistantly put out outstanding recordings. Maybe not the best there is but they are all great.

I have the greatest hits lp (2 album set) and I've probably played the side with Kid Charlemagne (sp?) more than any lp I own. It's one of my favorite songs of all-time. Does anyone know what album it's on? I have at least 7 or 8 of their albums/cds and it's not on any but the greatest hits album. It's not even on "Gold" which is another greatest hits album with a couple live bonus tracks.

I'm also not a big fan of "Two Against Nature" but agree that it's a very good recording.

----------------

On 8/10/2003 10:50:26 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Seriously though, a very well engineered recording. "Going Out Of Business" has my idea of the perfect drum kit sound.

Greg

----------------

Greg, I went to Amazon.com today in search of this CD ... I think the album we're talking about is "Everything Must Go" ?? I was thinking that this was (mentally) how you filed it and ordered a copy.

Looking forward to giving it a spin!

Yes, "Everything Must Go". Anyone who has been in business for themselves will get a kick out of the lyrics in the song "Going Out Of Business". Enjoy.

A few months ago, I began buying MFSL cd's in hopes of finding some really nice sounding music to play. I have now learned that the engineering done on the cd is infinately more important to the quality of the sound than the way it is mastered. I now have quite a few MFSL cd's that have a wonderfully mastered crappy sound. I should have known this, as I spent 14 years of my life behind a sound board.

I agree about the Dave Mathews Band cd's being well recorded, but I find them to be a bit harsh sounding at times.

Greg

----------------

On 8/11/2003 4:14:04 PM Flason wrote:

Kid Charlemagne is on "The Royal Scam" album. My personal favorite Dan tune is "My Old School". There is a horn lick in there that ends with a bari-sax note that always sends a chill down my spine.

----------------

Thanks Flason. That's one of the few I don't own. Of course that won't last long.1.gif My Old School is a great tune also. They did an awesome version of it when I saw them at The Spectrum in Philly about 7 years ago.

A very good quality recording indeed,as usual.I pre ordered the dvd-a version and have listened to it alot.It is very similar to Two Against Nature,not quite as good(only my opinion),I was very impressed with Two against nature,outstanding recording.As far as AJA,it is without any doubt one of the best recordings ever made by any standard and a reference cd for everyone I know.

Tom:

I was fortunate enough to pop into a local record store (in Novi, MI, western suburb of Detroit) the day they got in their first copy in stock. I'm sure they will be ordering additional copies though. The LP is out there, though I think I read somewhere that it is an import.

It cost me $17, not too much different than the cost of a CD. Record comes in nice thick vinyl with a poly-lined sleeve.

Mike

One SD recording that some of you may want to check out is the DVD 'Two Against Nature'. It is in DTS and has quite a few classic songs. The recording quality is very good but you have to endure brief little interviews/skits between songs. Keep the remote handy.

GaryMD -- Kid Charlemagne is my favorite SD song. In addition to leading off 'Royal Scam', you can find this on 'Decade of Steely Dan' which is a good one disc greatest hits. Also, Kid is on the DVD I mention above.