La Scala or RF7 as Front Speakers in a HT

mjc

I am building a HT. I have the chance to get a pair of old La Scala Speakers for ~$1,000 (in good shape) and I am soliciting opinions on whether these speakers would be better than a new pair of RF7s. Either set would be used as my primary set of speakers to be matched with a center and surround speakers to be named later.

All thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Welcome to the Board.

Most people fall into the love em or hate em relationship with the Klipsch La Scala's. Matched in the right situation, in a BIG room, the La Scala's are wonderful. But I also will not lie to you too. The 2000 technology of Klipsch holds its own too. Luckily for you, as the end user, you get to decide.

On the plus side, most used La Scalas will go for $800.00 on up depending on condition. If you need to sell them you will get your $$ back on Ebay. It might be very hard to get a new set of RF-7's for the same amount.

I will have this one caveat. You can find either for sale today either at an authorized Klipsch dealer or used on Ebay for the older stuff. But once you start one direction, keep it for the rest of the speakers in the HT set up too. This will create a matched sound you will I am sure either way come to enjoy and love.

It's a no-brainer. If you have a large enough room, save some money and get an all-heritage HT. Used heresys for the remainder of the speakers (excluding sub) will be cheaper then the matching reference series.

You will find varying opinions but folks with heritage speakers never go back. Can you listen to both before deciding?

mjc

Welcome.

Both are great speakers. The LAS IMHO will be more detailed sounding, but will also be unforgiving to lower quality components driving them. That is the main reason Heritage speakers get bad reviews.

You may want to contact NOZ, he replaced his RF7 fronts with 3 LAS's in the last year.

The quesiton has been recently asked in another section. You may want to check it out. Also do some searching here.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=37797&sessionID={1DFAE4D5-F77D-4A7C-ADC9-7C7AF47A2B79}

Do your homework and you will not be disappointed, this is a great place to learn from a lot of great people.

JM

Errr, I'm going to suggest that you take some stock in what you're getting signed on to and . .. bite my tongue, not go for the LS.

Most people are bass hungry. This is not the strong point of the LS. When bass hungry people sign on to the Heritage series, they prefer the Cornwalls and K-Horns. Those are the strong performers.

Gil

As stated by John, Go with the La Scala. I have had mine for 23 years and they not only continue to amaze me they amaze everyone that I subject them to. I recently held our summer party and had one acquaintance that had never been to my home. Prior to this he was telling me that he had heard it all and couldn't believe that my HT would knock his socks off, even though other friends had told him that it was the best sounding system they had ever heard. To his amazement not mine he admitted it was the first system that had heard where the dynamics and sound quality rivaled that of a great concert setup...duh! As far as the bass goes, its fast and dynamic. Yeah they won't go down to 30 or 35kz so add a sub if you really feel the need. I've said it before and I will say it again. Don't get me wrong, the RF7's are a great sounding speaker but no La Scala. Where will the RF7 series stand in 30 years. I know where my La Scala's will.

Just my 2 cents

Scooterdog

I would suggest you don't buy anything that you actually haven't heard.

I also disagree with most here -- I think the RF-7 is much more revealing than Heritage because it isn't plagued by the distortion artifacts induced by the squawker lens.

Where will the RF-7 be in 30 years? Hopefully in garage and estate sales -- as I'm sure Klipsch will have the continued good sense to produce products employing current knowledge and technology.