Smoke and mirrors.... Home Theater costs??

IndyKlipschFan

I was asked how much "B.S" is this home theater hobby of mine. Most say 5.1 is all you need etc., etc., the other day. Got me to thinking? We all buy into this or that due to specs etc., friends opinions and demos, all the time. After all, if we all just needed a basic car to get us transported from point A to point B, we would all drive I am sure some environmentally efficient 90 MPG vehicle.. (well some would..hahahahahah)NOT!!

I thought I would offer a challenege to the board. AT retail cost...What is the best deal (read cheapest) that you would use for a Home Theater using Klipsch? And what would it entail brand wise, in the other products?

Indy you bring up an interesting topic. Personally I feel the MSRP is freaking way to high for what you get. For instance MSRP for the RF7 is $2000, as much as I like mine I would have never payed that much. Look at the Pioneer 49txi MSRP $4500, come on what plant are they smoking.

Now $1350 for the RF7s yes indeed that is a price I would be willing to pay. $2600 for the 49txi yes it is worthy of that price.

Now we ask why do so many people use unauthorized dealers. For the very reason I do, because retail and manufacturers have been smoking the same pipe a little too long. There are some authorized dealers that know what the consumer is willing to pay and they figure they would rather move 10 pieces for less than more 2 at MSRP. WIN-WIN-WIN for the consumer and manufacturer and reseller.

So what would be a fair guessimate, well I feel for above and beyond HT geat one should set $10K aside for equiment, cable and supporting stuff like mounts a/v furniture and so on.

If I paid MSRP I would have about $15k in TV, Receiver, DVD, (4) RS7, (2) RF7, RC7, Power conditioner, and subs.

Buying the way I did I spend $11K. $4k is a butt ton of money anyway you look at it. When my freinds ask where to go I refer them to the agents that have sold me goods at a fair market value.

Sorry Tweeter and Percy's but MSRP is only a recommendation not a hard firm price.

Sorry for coming across bitter but MSRP chaps my a55

pair of KG5.5s (eBay) $300 - front mains

pair of KG4.5s (eBay) $300 - rears

lone KG5.5 (eBay) $200 - modified to use as a center

Sony STRDA1ES 5.1 Rec'r (websites or locally) $350

Panasonic DVD-CP72 Progressive-scan DVD changer (websties or locally) $250

Mitsubishi WS55311 55" HDTV (Sears) $1900

quality wiring and interconnects (Parts Express) $150

ACI SV12 woofer (direct from the manufacturer) $120

one sheet of MDF, screws, and glue (Home Depot) $30

240 watt subwoofer amp (Parts Express) $130

grill cloth, adhesive-backed vinyl, grill guides (Parts Express) $30

a couple days spent building the subwoofer enclosure and the custom interconnects $0

Total cost would only be less than $4,000. This system, if properly setup and tweaked, would be very impressive to 95% of people.

1980 Cornwalls purchased new - $1400

Academy center (outrageous but...) - $500

'72 Heresy surrounds - $200

RSW12 sub - $950

Sony STR-DA5ES - $700 (new in box - prior year model)

Cheap DVD Player - $170

Sony 34" HD ready W/S - $2000

Cables - $400ish

Right around $6K for an all heritage killer system with expensive cornwalls due to the zebrawood when I bought them new plus the outrageous amount I spent on the academy. Could have bought another pair of heresys and had a rear center for less but don't have the room or WAF. I switch out RS3IIs with the heresys for WAF purposes which makes it more expensive (doesn't sound as good either).

My guess is if you shop well, you can have a very sweet all-heritage HT for around $5k and be the envy of the neighborhood.

OK here goes:

Used Denon AVR-4800 - $750

Used '88 Klipschorns - $1250

Used '78 La Scala - $300

Used '78 La Scala Pair $400

Used Velodyne F1500R Subwoofer - $400

Used Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD Player - $400

Interconnects - $200

I have more stuff than this, but this is what the basic setup came to $3700. It would take 3 times that or more to match it. Watch for deals, do web searches, watch eBay, watch AudioGon, the deals are there you just have to be there when they happen. 9.gif

Receiver - $300

KG-4, KV-3, KG-1.2 - $500

TV - Free (Let's say $500)

DVD - $140

Sub - $175 (POS!!)

Cables - $100 tops

Well under $2k. Not bad for a first 5.1 system. Of course, I've added a few things. 9.gif

I think about $3k would suffice for your average Joe. I need a new TV and a better Sub.

WHOOOA! there bruinsrme...

have you/do you own a buisiness?

i work in a 25yr.old one store a/v store that is known for:

having the LOWEST price IN TOWN

selling only good brands, not cheap cr@p

there are 5 employees, so overhead is low and we have very high volume,and we are very knowledgeable, as well as doing our own installs/service calls ourselves

there is a cost of doing buisiness and we sell well below retail, but it costs money to run a buisiness.

the more people look at price without consideration for quality/performance, the more cheap $hit products are going to be manufactured, and customer support will suffer.

avman.

Hey Steve. Hope things are going well for you. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Pal.

Reminds me of the story I read the other day about the Tecumseh engine plant closing in Georgia. The workers there were earning something like $12 an hour. The plant was closed and moved to Mexico. Workers down there earn (relying on memory, which is dangerous) $8 a week. Wonder how much less the next Toro mower you buy will cost?

Keith

----------------

On 8/14/2003 4:15:49 PM avman wrote:

WHOOOA! there bruinsrme...

have you/do you own a buisiness?

i work in a 25yr.old one store a/v store that is known for:

having the LOWEST price IN TOWN

selling only good brands, not cheap cr@p

there are 5 employees, so overhead is low and we have very high volume,and we are very knowledgeable, as well as doing our own installs/service calls ourselves

there is a cost of doing buisiness and we sell well below retail, but it costs money to run a buisiness.

the more people look at price without consideration for quality/performance, the more cheap $hit products are going to be manufactured, and customer support will suffer.

avman.

----------------

Congrats on your 1000th post! (Sorry, I just noticed it for some reason) 3.gif

I'm new to Home Theater.

Just got a Denon 3803 and was probably going to hook it up to RB-35s in the front and RC-35 in center. The rest I would add during the course of the next few weeks.

Any advice on where to get a good deal on the RBs and RCs ??

Thanks.

Avman I understand where you are coming from. I am a consumer and if someone is legite and wants to sell me a product or two at a great price I am for it. Everything I demo'ed at Tweeter I bought at tweeter except a pair of RS7 because they did not have any more. The subs from SVS. Cables and what have you all from Tweeter, percy's, best buy and better cables. I wish I bought the pioneer 49 authorized so I would sleep better at night.

here is the break down

Paid MSRP

Sony 32" XBR 450 $2000 $2300 (Authorized Tweeter)

Bello Stand $425 $500 (Tweeter price match plus 10%)

RS7 $568 $900 (Authorized dealer phone order)

RS7 $798 $900 (Authorized Tweeter)

RF7 $1368 $2000 (Authorized Tweeter close out)

RC7 $670 $800 (Authorized Tweeter)

Pioneer DV 47ai $760 $1000 (Authorized dealer phone order)

Pioneer 49 txi $2600 $4500 (Unauthorized but Authorized quote was $2870)

Misc stuff $2000 $2000 (various resources including SVS subs)

total ~$11K ~15K

I didn't notice that either Wow 1000 posts, I remember breaking 100 like it was yesterday. I am glad to be here and have learned a great deal from everyone, thank you.

Scott