ACADEMY - YEA RIGHT!

muleman

Scooterdog

Your center sounds interesting, especially since I too have La Scalas and am looking for a center.

What year La Scalas do you have and which crossover?

How well does it blend it with them?

I might want to see the pics and if you have drawings/schematics.

Par,

My La Scala's were built in 1980. They have the type AA network in them.

The center I built really matches well with them. Since I could not fit another La Scala in the center I needed to come up with a different solution. Many here have built centers so I started by asking a lot of questions from my fellow board members.

At 42"w x 13.5"h x 15"d this is no small center. My biggest concern was making sure that the mid and high drivers were as close as to my la Scalas as possible. I was able to get the tweeter to match which makes a big difference. Since my Nephew had the extra mid horn and driver from a KLF 30 he offered it up to me free. At first I was going to use the mid out of a heresy but could not find one at the time. In all honesty the mid I got is exceptional. The end result was a very efficient, tight center speaker that keeps humping along with the La Scalas. Since my aim was to build one that offered great center dialog for HT and still preformed well with music when I play DVDA disc. If you want to see some construction pics post your email to me. You can also see pics of the center on my HT page listed below.

Scooter

I like "KLIPSCHFOOT's" response on this string. These vintage Klipsch speakers sound great but I believe there is a ring of truth to what Klipschfoot's saying.

I was in the same boat you are in - upon starting up my home theater, I had a pair of FORTE-II's and KG-1's (both oiled oak) that I had accumulated over the years. For the first generation of my HT, I decided to utilize these speakers and only add a center channel and a sub (to get up and running in a cost effective manner). I purchased an SVS sub, and decided to purchase a Klipsch RC3-II center channel (bi-wired to my HT receiver because the directions said "its better"...). Thus with a minimum investment, I accumulated all 6 sound boxes necessary for 5.1. With this ensamble of mutts, I believe that my HT sounds phenomenal. I calibrated this system with the Avia disk using an SPL meter and tripod. I'll admit that using the timbre signal on the Avia disk (sounds like ticking or clicking noise), I can sense the difference in timbre between the FORTE-II's and the RC3-II. HOWEVER, I have yet to really notice any discernable incongruencies when watching movies (and we watch a lot of 'em now that we have the HT). So I would suggest to you that purchasing a placeholder center channel and later on considering the purchase of an entire set of HT speakers as the next generation of your HT.

I wanted to snag an ACADEMY for my Forte-II's because they're the "perfect match" but at 700 bucks, I would rather put that towards the purchase of 5 modern technology products (maybe Klipsch, maybe not).

PS - read about your magnets - sorry to hear that.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 11:33:47 PM jgatty wrote:

What is the effect of lying the horn speakers on their side for a center? Which Heritage speakers can this be done with effecively?

4.gif
----------------

By turning Heritage speakers on their side, that is, horn lenses vertical, you will actually be improving their dispersion. That is the orientation recommended by the manufacturer. The familiar horizontal orientation seen in Heritage applications, is perhaps to make manufacture easier by eliminating the need for a right and a left motorboard. There is an early and rare Cornwall with the horns mounted in the recommended orientation.

One thing I'm wondering, with the supply and demand thing boosting Academy stock, would there be a market for a garage built Academy clone? There has been some creative and impressive work done by Scooterdog and other forum members building custom center channels. If you had to pay a guy for his time, most couldn't afford it. But there might be somebody out there with some time to find out. I'm surprised at the market value of the Academy, but have no clue as to what the perceived value of a custom built clone would be. Within this forum community, there would probably be a substantial trust for the seller, however, good will may not translate into actual significant bucks changing hands. 9.gif

Out in the world, on Ebay, where the money is, hard to say.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 3:59:16 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Alrighty then!

I do hereby state the the Academy is an unfortunate surprise to new owners. You could have done better with a speaker at half the price. Beware to anyone paying out the proverbial nose for an overhyped old-technology neanderthal that can be outgunned by new designs half it's size. Sell your Academy and other antiques now before you realize that the word is out on this overrated beast and its ilk. Once everyone catches on, you won't get more than $90.00 for your "precious." In fact, all your old Klipsch speakers use technology that only match other audio equipment of the same vintage. So, unless you are an old-timer with tin fenders for ears who can't let go of your 78s, sell your oversized dinosaurs now while you can to some unlucky sucker who thinks metal horns and 12" paper woofers will make his MP3s sound better.

There. I have done my part. You should see a few more Academys at BIN prices of $50 on eBay along with the rest of the Heritage and Classic lines.
-------------

----Klipschfoot:

Man this is like an absolute bummer, like getting into the stock market too late. If I only had an Academy I could sell it while it's hot make a few bucks and then buy one back cheap when the bubble bursts.

6.gif

Ahh, where to begin. Yes, $675-700 is too much to spend on this speaker. I am certainly glad I got mine for about half this price, and it was local. I'd have a hard time paying "today's" prices for that speaker.

That said, the Academy is an excellent match to the Quarte/Forte/Chorus II line. It certainly brings the front trio into perfect harmony. If you are looking for a close match, I'd stick with the KV-3, which is the match for the KG series. Stay clear of the KV-4 (Epic line) as that one is too bright in comparison to the others and makes the center channel stand out too far. I had the KV-3 for nearly 8 years with the Forte II and it does sound very good. Until I got the Academy, I never understood timbre matching, but now I'm a believer. Certainly a KV-3 would be a good stand-in until the Academy prices fall back to a more reasonable level.

Now what may be best is the option of a custom center. If I had room, I'd certainly look at something like that; pick up a Quartet/Forte/Chorus and either lay it on it's side or pull the horns out and make a separate cabinet for them. But for now, I'll be pleased with my Academy and enjoy watching the hot bidding.