mark levinson shoot out in my house!

sunnysal

That is an old picture. But I do indeed! I have thought about going in there and doing a complete re-wire, but the sound is so pleasing I havent felt the urge to go in there. I had access to all sorts of wire options. The whole thing might be considered ironic considering all my wire comments yet it still remains virtually stock besides some mods to the binding posts. I suppose the wire is the next to go... And since a woodworking friend has offered to do a complete re-veneer with either Cherry or Rosewood, it might all get done at once. I would ditch the grill kit add on pieces making new squared off edges ala stock CW, this under the new veneer. Of course, he offered to do this months ago...

kh

Admittedly, Im not familiar with Levinsons current offerings. IMHO, Levinsons current product is not up to par with their original vintage gear like ML-1 & ML-2. Everything else since Madrigal, & then Harmon, took them over has been an attempt at increasing market share, not audio quality. Just riding on the name's previous reputation.

Mobile,

I built some type 'A's and tried Vintage Oils ( pulled from a E2 Klipsch Crossover) , New Oils and Solens(Pictured) and could not detect a difference between them all. The type 'A' definitely beat the Type 'AB' that was in my Belles, but I could not differentiate the caps. The Paduk wood (with 5 coats of hand rubbed tung oil) and the Cardas Binding posts, and brass screws were purely cosmetic.

I have some other in Zebra Wood and Purpleheart with Oil Caps also!

paduk%20a%20crossover%202.jpg

paduk%20a%20crossover.jpg

Some VERY nice looking crossovers, cut-throat! Nice wood and workmanship as well.

Have you considered placing them away from the actual cabinet? I know Les did this with his LaScala and reported a big improvement in sonics from the lack of vibration. It's a bit of a pain with wiring however.

I am surprised you didnt hear any sonic differnces with the oils (vintage or other) vs the other options, especially the Solen. I have heard the difference in the Jensen copper oils everytime they are used, and all for the better, although I have to admit an even great preference for them as coupling in the SET amps.

I love the oils in the CW. I have been really happy with the stock performance of the Type B. I might do a test with the ALKs as Allan has offered to send me a pair in the past for a comparison.

kh

Mobile,

Thanks for the comments on the crossovers. I did have these mounted on the outside of my Belles at one time. When I was experimenting with the Oil caps and the Solens. I had one speaker running with OIls and One with the Solens and was able to switch the two with a flick of a switch. My wife did not think it looked as cool as I did however.

As far as not being able to tell the difference in the Oils and the Solens. Here is what Al gave as a technical explanation at the time.

"I just did some computer simulation on the type "A" and type "AA". It turns out that the loss through the tweeter filter of both at 17 KHz is only about 0.1 dB lower with caps having a Q of 1000 compared to a Q of only 100 (worse than oil which are about 200-300). I am not surprised you could not hear that difference. It proves the old wisdom that's it's the inductors that count. The total Q in a filter is 1 /(1/QL + 1/Qc)). That makes the difference 23 versus 29 assuming an inductor Q of 30. Since there is no inductor in the tweeter filter of the "A" network you can't upgrade the inductors! You do not seem to gain much by putting high Q caps in there either! At least that is what the computer says (beep)."

Al K.