Question for the 2-channel TUBE guys....

Gilbert

Please provide me with some recommendations and opinions for a very nice/excellent tube amp and tuner, new or used. I enjoy listening to all music (depending on my mood), except c..RAP.

The system will be hooked-up with a pair of Cornwalls.

gilbert a few more pieces of info would help. budget? do you have or plan to buy a preamp or would you like to hear about integrated tube amps? can you tell us about the room you plan to place the system into? with that info I think people can give you some useful recommendations. regards, tony

You can get a good deal on a Scott, Eico or Fisher used integrated amp. They will run $250-400 range and would benefit from being sent to Craig (NOS Valves), or another tech to make sure it is in good working order. This should cost around $100-150 plus shipping. For the dollar value, you have a great introduction to tubes and you can blast your Cornwalls to your heart's content with most types of music. The iron is better than new models that will cost you another couple of hundred dollars.

For more money you can look at a separate amp and preamp, again used is less expensive. Checking on this site and posts by Kelly (Mobile Homeless) will give you a good understanding of what is available. These posts have others chiming in with their recommendations. The favourite tube for preamps seems to be the 6SN7. Price for separates, $1500 for both for good quality with $1800 to $3000 (plus taxes) for new, not being out of line. If you listen to the Cornwalls with the volume turned up a 14 - 35W push-pull amp is probably a good decision, a 3.5W SET amp may not do it for you. It will be close, but not quite there for everything.

For tuners, there are used ones on the market, I picked up a used Scott from Foster Blair(fjblair@comcast.net) for about $175 and it works great with a Yagi antenna on the roof. Foster has a large stock on Scott tuners at his place, I believe in Virginia. He was a pleasure to deal with.

Do your research, read a lot, evaluate opinions, we all have them and will voice them on this forum. Whatever tube system you end up with will make your Cornwalls happy.

Good luck,

Don

Nobody ever reccomends these, but I'm going to. Check out the Fisher 500C receiver. I have owned mine for about 30 years and it has given EXCEPTIONAL service. Right now it's in the process of being hooked up in my wife's new home office with the Rega CD player I just got off of Audiogon and a pair of KEF 102 speakers (the best sounding mini-monitor I've ever owned).

The Fisher has a wonderfully warm and sensitive FM tuner, a nice preamp (with a pretty decent phono section!) and a 7591 output 35 watt amp all in one very attractive package. These units were built like tanks and tend to be very reliable. Look around and buy a good one and it might well be the best $500 you'll ever spend.

I tend to agree with Allan on this one. Although I love my scott, I grew up with a Fisher 500 receiver and it's an excellent unit. It's one good option out of many, especially if you want a built in tuner.

With the $$$ you've spent on all those nice cornwalls lately, would a mac setup be too expensive for you?

Sunnysal, I will be purchasing the system around Xmas time. If I had to put a price on it, right now, I'd say around 5 grand max.

As for the room, well, it's difficult to say something about the room, because my I have'nt built my permenent/final residence.

Where I currently live, I plan on installing the system in the Master Bedroom, which is a pretty good size, approx. 26ft x 20ft; at least that's what the carpet people told me when the measured for carpeting. With a little luck and some hard work, I hope to move back home (Laredo, Tx) within a 2 years.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Gary: I've have been thinking MCINTOSH; But I would like to know what the Klipsch-Guru's of Tube think.

I've loved the McIntosh for as long as I can remember, but don't want it if there is something better for the price.

AS I did with my HTS, I will consider the equipment recommended by the Klipsch Forum members. I will test drive at least 3 or 4 systems, as I did this with my HTS, before making a final decision..

Thanks for the input, and please keep it coming.

FIVE GRAND?

With that kind of cash, step right up to the table and get the BEST!

Pair of McIntosh MC-30 amps in minty shape with killer tubes will set you back about $1500-$1800.

McIntosh C-22 or Marantz 7C in equally perfect shape $2000-$2300

Marantz 10B or Scott 4310 or McIntosh MR71 $700-$1500

This is the kind of stuff that will make you STOP looking for better gear, BELIEVE ME!

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation. You have the Cornwalls which are easy to drive with low wattage Speakers. I would go the SET route. 2A3 Tube monoblocks.

1.) Welborne labs has a new pair of DRD 2A3 Monoblocks for around $1700 a pair assembled.

2.) Another option is the Wright Sound Company. 2A3 Monoblocks for around $1500 a pair. These have a 30 day in home audition policy. You can send them back for a refund if you want.

As far as tuners go - I own vintage scope tuners and some modern digital tuners. The digital tuners have certain features that I really like. They hold a station, have presets and remotes. They are really very good. I have a Modern Day Marantz ST-17 that really sounds great - I have compared it to the best tuners such as Magnum Dynalab Etude! Can be had for around $300 used.

My bad. I shouldn't comment on something I know too little about. I've heard only a couple SET amps in my life and only one with cornwalls. The 8 watts didn't give me the umph I needed for the heavier stuff. I'd like to hear a nice SET system sometime that would convince me otherwise.

Have to disagree with you here garymd.

I have Klispch Belles and my 3.5 watt per channel Moondogs play the Best of the Rolling Stones as well as my 250 watt per channel hybrid does with conventional speakers.

--------------------

Your Belles are 103 dB efficient, while the Cornwalls are 98 dB's. Even though they are only 5 dB different, that is fairly significant, especially if you want to rock the house. I would want to hear it first before I committed a large sum of money, 5K into a SET based system. For that sum of money, most high end retailers will let you take it home and audition it. You do have to leave a VISA or MC to cover the cost, just in case. It is well worth the time and effort to achieve the best results you can in your room.