For Sale: 1985 Cornwalls - Mint

No Disc

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wonderfully smooth, wide open sound, with great bass, even better midbass, and a treble so clean, refined and extended -- it will make you forget you are listening to a horn. Of course, that's the rub isn't it? You have RB-5's, so you get the jist here of what I'm saying, and with the RF-7's -- you're basically looking at RB-5's on steroids (lots of them).

It won't take you long to figure out why I'm where I am with amplification, or why Leo is now using Chorus' on his Doggies. A somewhat SET unfriendly speaker.

Man oh man, you sure about this?

With the Wright's, the only way you could get away with it is in a nearfield setup, so the amps are comfortably within their limited range.

I also strongly recommend that you go to the Asylum, go to the Tubes Forum, and search out everything ever written by Joe Rosen. I don't say this because I agree with everything he says, but his posts have a lot of meat and potatoes, make you think about things you've never thought of before, and are full of great explanations as to why some things work and some don't. I've found that the readings help give some balance, and alleviate some anxiety about going with things that aren't always accepted as Kosher by the mainstream.

If you have your CW setup like that for all your listening, I really dont find it surprising they image poorly. IS that your arrangement? That is a terrible layout it imaging is your goal.

It's an interesting call. Perhaps for HT but I surely dont agree for your application, no offense to ole Deano and Leo. I found the RF-5 to be a more HT type of speaker and not to the level of the CW midrange or top end (edit: although they might be less finicky about front end and poorly recorded music).

My advice is to give them a THOROUGH audition before taking home, this with your gear. Pay close attention to the top end naturalness. To me, the RF had the HT stamp on it through and through in this department. True, I havent heard the RF-7 but the RF-5 purportedly has some of the same signature. Others feel differently and have different tastes and sensitivity to this area. It happens to be a pet peeve here. Then again, I differ with others view on a lot of this stuff evidently.

Just one more take on it; just dont want you making a wholesale change and starting from scratch yet again, now with a different "SET" of problems to overcome. AUDITION though. It's a good start. And PLAY with speaker placement for now, too. I believe that current arrangement is not the best for imaging.

kh

ps These do not have Type B crossovers. They are probably more like B3.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/cw_crossovers.jpg

Those Cornwalls are "unplugged". You can see the cables on the carpet next to the speakers. Looks like he has already moved them out of the system. Yikes Timmy, you don't waste any time.

RF-5's are not RF-7's. The RF-7 tweeter is very different. The tweeter has a 75% increase in surface area, incorporates a pro-style phase plug, and is coupled to a bigger lens.

Also, the "HT stamp", as you called it, is easily removed by changing one resistor from 2 ohms to 1.75 ohms. I would also be happy to build Tim some crossovers later if he wishes, that will elevate his RF-7's to the mountain top.

I own the RB-5s, and in my opinion, Klispch got it right with that speaker. Leo owns the RB-5 and was what promped him to get the RF-7s. If indeed what is right about the RB-5 is inherent in the RF-7, I will be happy. They are different speakers for sure.

Those pics are not where the speakers are placed for imaging. I know about the Cornwalls faults, and one of them is imaging. I listen to them in nearfield, and with complex orchestral pieces, the details all get lost in the mix, not so with the RB-5s.

I had an audiophile friend over today, and he confirmed for me what I already knew. He preferred the RB-5s. by a large margin.

As far as the top end naturalness. I believe Leo noticed this lack of relaxed top end in his RF-7s. He has a posting in the updating older speakers forum. Simple resistor mod. Well, simple for him, but I'm sure with his help I can muster it.

I think for the qualites I want in a speaker, the shortcomings of the Cornwall are harder to overcome than what are in the RF-7. I understand Kelly where your coming from though.

- tb

You have an audiophile friend over? Beware of AUDIOPHILE FRIENDS! heh.... IF there is anything worse for music, it's an audiophile.

Again, audition, audition, audition. But based on your RB-5 comment, you might be in the camp of the RF-7. Youre letting go of a classic speaker that is a pain to regain. I came from the other end of the "audiophile" game, went fully through, and passed on to the other side... It's a helluva journey.

kh

No Dean. Those pics are a few months old. I was too lazy to take new shots. Heh, I gave up the monster cable. I use AQ Type 4 now.

Thanks for the crossover help offer... I'm glad you and Leo have blazed the way. I've actually read all the posts you and Leo have done, great work.

I'll attempt to get a home demo, but there are not many dealers around here. Tweeter is nearby but from my understanding they don't do home demos. I'm in no big rush as I have the RB-5s and do 90% of my listening there anyway.

I also have to unload the Cornwalls.

- tb

>Those Cornwalls are "unplugged". You can see the cables on the carpet next to the speakers. Looks like he has already moved them out of the system. Yikes Timmy, you don't waste any time.

perhaps "Audiophile" was the wrong term for him. He is actually one of the most level headed people I have spoken to and very keen about auditioning equipment. He has been doing this sort of thing for 25 years, so he has some knowledge under his belt

He preaches auditioning and home listening also. H enjoys the music just like the rest of us.

- tb

Bring your amp and preamp to where the RF-7 are for an in store, appointment first, audition if they dont do home. Most stores welcome this and you can get the doors closed and some special treatment here. It's the next best thing and you can find out a lot. Bring your own tunes with you with all sorts of material, not all sonic approved ala Holly Cole.

Curious. What is your friend's system?

kh

EDIT: I just realized the RB-5 are the little MONITOR speakers. All monitors, even those of less quality, image much better than towers or large baffle speakers (in addition to the advantgae of being a two way). It is their forte. Comparing the RB-5 to the CW is like comparing two different animals.

I don't know much about Tweeter, but unless it's a specialty shop I wouldn't expect "special" treatment. I also think dragging all of your gear down there isn't going to tell you much more than you already know.

I wouldn't worry about the RF-7's not being able to image like the RB-5's.

Are you kidding, Dean? I dont know much about Tweeter and I have never been in one having avoided them for this long. So whether they will do a closed room and or store audition or not is up for grabs. It doesnt hurt to inquire and makes "sound" sense.

On the other hand, to say that you wouldnt learn anything that you dont already know is really irresponsible. It actually contradicts most of the stuff you have been writting in relation to speaker/amp interaction. I have been on a handful of good private auditions at the store to see how gear I am familiar with mates with speakers. I think it's imperative to get an audition with your own amplification when buying speakers anywhere NEAR this price range. Why in the world would you suggest otherwise? The Wright Amps are TINY and easy to carry. The AE-3 DJH preamp is even smaller! This is the kind of advice in this forum that really makes me wonder.

Obviously, an in home audition is the best but with speakers of this size, you usually end up going to the store. IF it's anywhere near a decent store, they will provide some form of audition time with your gear for a purchase like this. And Tim bringing the Wrights and his AE-3 is not a big deal. In fact, the last store/home audition involved almost this same gear except the Wright 12a 6SN7 pre was used with the 3.5 monos.

IF I were Tim, I would make a visit or call to set something up, this before selling or buying anything. IF the opportunity is there, take it. This is almost PAT common knowledge.

As for the imaging, the monitor speakers stationed out into the room will be imaging champions. The RF-7 might do other things better but this is not one of them. After being around monitor speakers all my life, this is one thing I have found.

Tim, see what your local dealer can do. My Wright Sound 3.5 buddy and I drove 3/4 the way across the State with his Wright 12a pre and 3.5 monos to listen and compare to a slew of gear at an in-home dealer. It was a great day and well worth the trip. He was getting ready to plunk down some king hell ducats on some Silverline speakers. It was a day long appointment and the results saved him about $4000 in this application (they were some excellent speakers however). It also proved to him his love for the musical nature of his amp combo.

kh

This imaging question maybe bringing a experience I had at mopar Dave's house into a different light. His Cornwall's had almost no imaging at all. I thought it was the placement since they were only about 6 feet apart interesting statements ! My Lascala's image unbelievably seems strange that Cornwall's wouldn't do the same. My RF-3's do a pretty darn good job with it too considering there horrible placement. My Heresy's are incredible at imaging the best of the bunch actually.

Craig

Craig, I can affirm that the CW CAN image well with the right gear and setup. While it's not their #1 strength, it can be made to be very good. I am actually a monitor biased person usually preferring them to larger speakers. I have always had several pairs of good monitors around in addition to the imaging king ProAcs which have the capability to throw an amazing image with a soundstage, when the speakers are brought out into the room, of a full 10 feet behind the speakers depending on the recording/mic job.

And the Cornwalls, though not of this nature, do an excellent job of placing the instruments in live recordings in their position. The images dont waver either. Since they are closer to the back wall, the soundstage depth is not as great. But the width and placement can be very good.

Larger speakers dont usually pull the disappearing act as well as monitors but I was really surprised at the CW considering their size. Then again, I also know their other strengths as well. Still, regarding imaging, they do a very good and natural job of floating the instruments giving the a precise location.

The last two CW setups have been excellent in this regard. Exact placement and measuring is a plus here. I do this with any pair of speakers regardless of my house or another home setup. EDIT: But no, the CW does not image with the same ability as any of the better monitors or my ProAcs. Still, imaging is credible and quite good, with the other strengths MORE than making up for it.

kh

All good advice. I think Deans comments are not out of place. He has gone this route and the path is familiar to him.

Ok, Kelly, I'll bite. What do you feel can be done to bring the imaging of the Cornwalls up a few notches?

Like I said, I'm in no big hurry.

- tb