Best song/music to show off imaging?

Manuel Delaflor

My other favorite piece from him is outstanding. It's a recording of fingers typing on a keyboard. To say that this is another stellar exemple of pin point imaging is an understatement. To tell you how precise it is, just know that my mother, who is a secretary, was able to deduct what was the text just from hearing the fingers location. The message said:

"Who cares about music anyway, we're in it for sound reproduction! Right?"

----------------

Wow! I doubt I would be able to hear that. I have tin type ears. I am imagining your Mom must have photogenic mammaries, too. Cheers!

fini

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what it is that sends a perfectly reasonable question completely off the rails on this forum. I think that there is a contagion that spreads quickly. Once one goes daliesque everyone does.

Ah well - a more serious attempt at imaging. I suppose it will depend on what you are looking for in your image. If size is important (please - dont go there) then various Opera's spring to mind that can provide bewildering depth and focus. I usually quote Aida here as it is as big an opera as there is. I have it on Vinyl from Decca on one of their "full frequency recordings" and from the begining of side 2 record one things really take off...

At the other end of the scale I have a German print of Ella Fitzgerald with the Tommy Flanagan Trio performing live at the Montreaux Jazz festival on "Pablo Records" (dosnt sound very German does it!!). Its one of those "Ella is almost tangible recordings" that really surprised me as it was not an audiophile pressing and I picked it up for a song.

After that there are many many records that do amazing things image wise. You could do worse than give Tracy Chapman's Matters of the Heart a spin - there is real depth there and Tracy comes out beautifully centre stage.

I would describe all of the above as life size imaging. If you want larger than life try Chris Isaak's Wicked game title track on reprise records. Its a record I play when I want to be reminded of the size of a KHorn - and listening to it with your eyes closed is akin to sitting about 5 inches from his larynx.

OK I am now getting on a role so I will stop. It might help if I knew what kind of music you like before going into lists of titles. Cant guaranttee I will have what you are looking for but I do have a fair range of stuff.

max-

That Tracy Chapman record is a beautiful example. Depth, space around all the instruments. You are there indeed.

Also there is a Seal EP with an acoustic version of "Violet" that really shakes my tree. Just him on the piano & singing.

So Kelly, this is what you meant by audiophile recordings? Bottles of beer recordings? When I start playing that on my system Amy will take the beer in my hand, pour it on my head and file for divorce the next day.

I do have some mobile fidelity recordings of trains and thunderstorms that are awesome as far as starting on one side of the room and slowing moving across to the other. But listening to beer bottles being open? The live experience is hard to beat.

Cheers5.jpg

Once upon a time there was an engineer

Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.

He had an engine and he sure had fun

He used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.

Charlie says 'Love my Good & Plenty!'

Charlie says 'Really rings my bell!'

Charlie says 'Love my Good & Plenty!'

Don't know any other candy that I love so well!

God I love this thread.

Kind of reminds me of what runs through my mind every time the flight attendant shows us how to buckle our seat belts before we take off. If you look around, you'll note that some folks are actually paying rapt attention! And these folks actually DROVE their cars to the airport. Even the blind passengers were listening (which that explains some of the drivers here in Boston).

Carrie and I are actually trying to figure out a time to get up to see Jeff and Nancy ... and we all know what happens to "good intentions" (like this September). Our trip up north may be a December holiday visit.

When we get on the road, we'll be sure to arrived stocked with some refills and some really good stuff for Mr. & Mrs. Lessard.

I really want to hear his Lamhorns on the Tenors. The heat will be a good thing that time of year.

Feliz Navidad, indeed.

Here's a serious response:

I could normally give a RAT'S *** about imaging (as you might be able to tell from my "clownish" posts), but one old recording really does it for me in this regard--- Billie Holiday's "Songs for Distingue Lovers" on Verve. Billie is dead center, and flanked out and behind her are "the band" all in their distinct spots. When Ben Webster EXPLODES at Billie's left for his solo on "Day In, Day Out" it sends chills up and down my spine every single time. Same when Sweets Edison starts his solo on "A Foggy Day . . ." This is a GREAT example of early Stereo done RIGHT. Killer band, killer tunes, killer vocals.

Alan - It was you that used to do that tchoo tchoo - Good & Plenty - Good & Plenty number during the Saturday Matinee. I was trying to get a little smoochin in and that's all I could hear. When did you move to the west coast?

On a more serious note: Do I detect some negative vibes about Brubeck from the Jazz Masters on the forum? If so, please enlighten me. I have grown to trust your opinions and suggestions. Yes, maybe old Joe should have had more time with the solo but hey, they had a record to sell. Take Five was a reference to the time signiture 5/4. I always thought it to be "COOL".

As I stated, it's a wonder more people arent electrocuted every day...

Does it count if I got a jolt when I was doing something to my Scott amp? I touched the wrong resistor lead and since then I've had a different outlook on life.

On a more serious note about imaging, I must say Allan makes a good point. Does that really enhance the musical experience? And what does it take to get good imaging in a recording? Imaging is the way our brains interpret sound. I would imagine that what is needed is very detailed reproduction of sound waves and their echoes, since it is the echo delay that tells us where something is in relation other sounds. In a recording done in a studio where musicians are somewhat isolated (acoustically) from each other, you probably will not have much in terms of echo. I also wonder if a live performance recorded via 2 mikes would probably produce better imaging than multi mike arrangements, but there are others on the forum who can better address this. But this thread begs a new one.

Greetings:

If you want a rock recording I would suggest "Axis Bold As Love" and "Electric Ladyland" both by Jimi Hendrix.

I would also recommend "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac.

Those show the possibilities of working a Board in the case of Hendrix and proper Recording by Fleetwood Mac.

Win dodger

Of course, damn if Allan couldnt resist getting serious! FREAK! It was a good role/roll while it lasted. Brubaker.... heh. At least a few thought this thread serious with someone getting worked up about that BEER recording. I almost wanted to record one!

On a serious note from this end, Hendrix's AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE has some insanely good gems on it, relating to writing, music, solos, and the RECORDING. The title track's ending riffs by Hendrix and Mitch is amazing and chill inducing every time. It was perhaps the first use of the Hurricane, a mixture of Flanger and Phase shifter that had never been used on the whole mix. It is HERE on drums first, then the ENTIRE mix from Hendrix's INsANE solo to everything, bass, drums and all.

The end of BOLD AS LOVE is perhaps one of the best endings on any rock recording MADE. Played at near live levels, it will bring goosebumps, chills, and a euphoria that is unmatched. While growing up, I must have blown 6 $50 ADS tweeters with this recording! I had to have them replaced by the time my Dad came home and wanted to put on his Dorsey, Webster, Hodges, or Ellington! I blew allowance after allowance until I got smart and installed 1amp fuses inline! heh.... There is NOTHING today that equals Hendrix.

That whole album is amazing. Songs like "Castles Made of Sand" stand out among the greats. The solo in this is amazing as is the entire song/mix. Hendrix used to hide while singing as he thought he had a terrible voice. HE was amazing...

kh

ps - Dave Brubeck has some GREAT side men and was perhaps the least talented of that group musically speaking. OF course, that is a landmark album and perhaps the most known to non jazz people as everyone has heard of Brubeck. I personally dont hold them as the best of improvisation but the time signatures were his trademark. It's interesting to hear Dave interviewed about how TAKE FIVE came about. There are some great recordings with PAul Desmond as the leader as well. I'll throw up some recs.

Kelly, Thanks for the insight on Brubeck. Three months ago I had never heard of Sonny Clark, Bobby Timmons or McCoy Tyner. The jazz thread has had a major influence on my listening habits. I actually think too much Brubeck kept me away from Jazz. It was interesting but it just didn't move me. I'll always enjoy Take Five, the cut not the LP.

In the old jazz thread, Mallett suggested The Best of Louis Armstrong, AFSD6132 for great sound. Check out St James Infirmary. The imaging is unique.

OK boys - time to go to church.

You want the best imaging known to man combined with an endless soundstage, virtually infinite depth and the unmistakable accoustics of Churches hewn out of solid rock?

What do you mean no?

Well if you do, I would recommend "Cantate Domino" on Proprius (Prop 7762). It is a recording of various choral works actually done in various Churches in Sweden. You will never hear Silent Night done like this again!!!

I actually found out about this recording through the Audiophile club of Athens (when I was a member). I regard it as probably the single greatest contribution they made to my listening...

The other record they introduced me to (actually the President of the club introduced me to) was Belafonte At the Carnegie Hall. Another great in terms of imaging (as well as a nostalgic return to folk music).

The funny thing is that most people seem to have the audiophile double album version which can get rather pricey these days. Through accident rather than design I picked up a single album version from RCA Victor (SF5050 for 1 pound sterling on ebay). The single album version is definitely the one to get sonically.

----------------

On 9/3/2003 2:52:56 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Of course, damn if Allan couldn't resist getting serious! FREAK! It was a good role/roll while it lasted. Brubaker.... heh. At least a few thought this thread serious with someone getting worked up about that BEER recording. I almost wanted to record one!

Note to self: Take all of Kelly`s post with a block of salt.9.gif

OK, you got me. I`m still not over finding out I own no audiophile recordings and now I fall for a sniper post. Just like I fell for sniper hunting. I was left in that cold dark forest on a Kentucky hillside all night long holding the bag waiting for my friends to herd those snipes my way. But I didn`t get mad. No, not me. I got even...heh.

Dont feel bad, Middlecreek Guy. I was actually starting to believe it myself!

To be serious again for a second, Imaging and the notion of a soundstage via a live recording are a few of the first aspects of the recording that quality gear, system setup, synergy, speaker placement reveal that stands far above the average mess you buy at ShortCircuit City (lordy, that was a sordid sentence). Apart from a great comment Allan made in another thread concerning the ultimate goal of having "an alto sax sound like an alto sax", imaging and soundstage via a good 2 channel system is an EYE OPENER! The first time you hear that front to back and side to side layering, in addition to air around the instruments, it a shocking thing. Done well, it can bring serious goosebumps too. To hear the drummer in a live jazz recording sound like he is playing on the OTHER SIDE of the wall BEHIND the speakers in amazing, especially if the speakers are already 3-5 ft out into the room! When you hear the instruments placed on the live stage as they were recorded, not wavering, and as if in 3 dimensional space, this from your stero... well, it can be the holy grail for some after exposure. Tube amplification seems to excel here.

As for what recording do this better than others, I find live jazz/classical to be the best by far as the event was captured in live space and not put together in the studio as much as revealed from the skill of the mic placement and technique, not to mention the gear used and lack of processing.

kh

I felt bad for a couple of minutes and then just laughed at myself for falling for such...... crap. That recording must exist somewhere though. I`m still relatively new here. It is hard at times to know when one is on the up and up or just having a good time pull`n our leg. This forum is about both as far as I`m concerned.

Imaging is the reason we bought stereo equipment in the first place. So we can imagine the band is in the room with us. 1.gif